Forums
Posted By: MissGuided Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 9:27pm
Have created this topic to record observations made at Flaybrick Chapel.

Went there today to have a look at the mysterious symbols on the masonry. Place looks even more knackered now, with most of roofing beams gone and most of internal plasterwork fallen down. Plenty of shrubs growing in it now. Don't know how they could use this for a bat sanctuary now - its so far gone.

Anyway, here are the photos:

Overview of which side each symbol lies
Anchor/heart/cross
IHS
Falling dove
Eye of Providence

Not sure of significance but chapel is built with front facing east.

The gargoyles on the tower are peculiar. Gargoyles usually perform the task of being an outlet for drains, but all 4 of the creatures do not appear to be doing this. They all appear to be dragons, the ones to the front have rounder eyes. The other peculiar thing is that on front and back the gargoyles appear to be looking at the same point in the landscape. The front ones look north-east and the back ones look south west. The front ones even appear to be focusing on a point in the cemetery.

Front gargoyles

Also note the Star of David symbols - each face of the tower has 2 in the same place.

Know this much about it so far - Flaybrick was designed by Edward Kemp so can only assume he designed the chapel. Have failed to find anything on web about it but will try reference library. Will see if I can get plans maybe. Such a peculiar layout with the middle section appearing too narrow to be a place to hold a service - more like a corridor between the end rooms which are also not very wide. Maybe this was literally a place to keep the bodies before they were taken for burial. Kind of like a chapel of rest or something. Will do some internet digging on the subject and report back.
Posted By: Wench Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 9:49pm
The Star of David symbol to which you refer is another Masonic/New World Order symbol.

Attached picture star of david.jpg
Attached picture pentadollar.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 9:53pm
I had a feeling it was. It is my suspicion that a lot of the founding 'fathers' of our town were masons (illuminati). After all its probably the likes of Laird or Jackson who ok'd the plans for the chapel.

I am convinced the bird falling is an inverted dove and not a sign of the holy spirit.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 10:07pm
ye may find this interesting symbols and therir meaning happy

Posted By: Wench Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 10:20pm
I was actually wondering about that myself.

The "falling dove" should look something like this picture. It is essentially the depiction of the Trinity.

Attached picture dove with attending angels.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 10:24pm
Its odd how it has rays coming down from the clouds which expreses a downward movement (oh great, now I sound like an art historian lol). Those rays are very similar to the ones on the triangle behind the eye.

I would be interested to look at chapels of the same age and see what they reveal but can't think where that would be on Wirral.

Interesting little article about Victorian cemeteries: http://www.tchevalier.com/fallingangels/bckgrnd/cemeteries/
Posted By: Wench Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 30th Aug 2008 11:13pm
I'm sure someone on here will have a good idea of where to look.

That link is a good one, more Illuminati references that are not mentioned directly raftl

Posted By: jonno40 Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 7:55am
Hi guys, the main chapel in Flaybrick was a C/E and Non Comformist and the Roman Catholic chapel was down towards lower Flaybrick road near the rear entrance but has been demolished,there is a plaque in the grass somewhere commerating this,as far as i am aware the morturary was also down the rear end of the cemetery in the area now fenced off .
As you maybe aware the lay out of the cemetery is split in to three distinct areas r/c, c/e and non comformist .The Laird and Jackson family graves are both in the c/e section smile
Posted By: mike849 Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 9:43am
looks like ive opened a can of worms with this flaybrick thread i cant believe how much history there is there and ive never bin will have to go and look next time im home!
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 9:49am
Just to let you know guys there is already an extensive thread covering a lot of flaybricks history .
Posted By: mike849 Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 10:02am
i never knew flaybrick was there till i read the threads!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 11:40am
Originally Posted by jonno40
Just to let you know guys there is already an extensive thread covering a lot of flaybricks history .

Yeah would be good just to keep this thread about the Mortuary Chapel. I did knw it was for CofE and Non-Conformists (or as they called them then - Dissenters). I have a feeling from the dimension that it wasn't used for services but maybe for people to pay their last respects. I don't know a tremendous lot about Victorian era but know that this is when they got a bit obsessed about death and made it into quite a high drama occasion with all the ceremony (think of the carriages drawn by horses with black feather plumes on their heads etc).
WHen I get to library next I am going to ask them if they have the plans of the chapel. Its a shame the RC one got pulled down - Ithink it was due to a fire. Could barely read the memorial stone yesterday but think it was in the 70s that it was erected.

Thinking about the position of the building again it was very deliberate to have it facing the way it does. It looks towards Liverpool (where a lot of the residents at that time would have come over from) and that big long drive up to it would have added to the drama.

If anyone wants to do a daytime wander round there let me know - I can never get tired of the place!
Posted By: Wench Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 11:42am
I'm up for that MissGuided thumbsup
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 12:01pm
Cool smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 1:41pm
think Hmmm, i wonder what the gargoyles are staring at?
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 2:28pm
As a kid I entered the lodge which is situated at the top of Bidston Avenue about 93 with a few mates, entered through the window the house was full of records that had not been touched for years, it appeared that it had been forgotten by everyone, in the doorway there was an unopened letter with a 1930's or 40's date stamp on it looks like it had been resting in the hall since then, the amount of records intact in the lodge was huge, these were the sort of records that should have been moved a long time ago. After a short while of exploring the house and it's paperwork the park police came so we all had to run for our lives, I regret not taking any of the documents but these were huge tomes I couldnt even get through the window, shortly after the place was gutted by fire probably along with all the documents and books and that unopened letter, I still regret not taking anything as I still would have them now, looks like the council didn't give a toss and then it was too late...like a lot of things recently.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 6:25pm
Thats a real shame about those documents MerseyMan, but like you say, it's kinda the way things are.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 8:05pm
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
As a kid I entered the lodge which is situated at the top of Bidston Avenue about 93 with a few mates, entered through the window the house was full of records that had not been touched for years, it appeared that it had been forgotten by everyone, in the doorway there was an unopened letter with a 1930's or 40's date stamp on it looks like it had been resting in the hall since then, the amount of records intact in the lodge was huge, these were the sort of records that should have been moved a long time ago. After a short while of exploring the house and it's paperwork the park police came so we all had to run for our lives, I regret not taking any of the documents but these were huge tomes I couldnt even get through the window, shortly after the place was gutted by fire probably along with all the documents and books and that unopened letter, I still regret not taking anything as I still would have them now, looks like the council didn't give a toss and then it was too late...like a lot of things recently.

Sad man, i would of loved to have seen all that, guttered frown
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 8:09pm
I remember having a look-see once and the floor was missing downstairs! Must have been after the fire. I think someone is in there now. Would love to live somewhere like that - dead quiet neighbours wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 8:16pm
I'd like to join a visit there sometime. Please keep me posted if anything is arranged.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 31st Aug 2008 8:22pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I'd like to join a visit there sometime. Please keep me posted if anything is arranged.

Here sir thumbsup

ClickMe smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 1st Sep 2008 8:16am
Thanks, Ste. I may be there.
Posted By: micko Re: Flaybrick tomb - 3rd Jan 2009 4:10pm
more to cum

Attached picture th_DSC_0078[1].jpg
Posted By: micko Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 3rd Jan 2009 4:13pm
moore of in side next time

Attached picture th_DSC_0079[1].jpg
Posted By: Ducko Re: Flaybrick Mortuary Chapel - 7th Jan 2009 1:58pm
did you get any moore pics kid