Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 1:54pm
I was looking (unsuccesfully) for Bidston Aerodrome on OS maps when I spotted two airshafts. These were located between the junction of Compton Rd and Wildbrook Drive (was Mason Avenue) and the Bidston Link Road (or School lane as was)

Anyone any ideas what these were for?

Description: Bidston Air Shafts
Attached picture BidstonAirShafts.jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 2:16pm
CLICK ME

Present google image of the area
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 2:22pm
I know the scale is well out but if you try to compare both maps it looks like one of them could be lost in the building of Hoylake road, do you have a date for the map but the ones at the bottom of Lennox lane still look accessible..good find
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 3:41pm
I always forget to put the year - 1956. Hoylake road already exists but Bidston Link doesn't. To give you a better idea of scale, Bidston station is the building at the very top left hand corner of the picture.

I reckon the left hand airshaft is beside the roundabout or maybe underneath it, the right hand one is in open space.

Just realised that School lane is the station approach road not Bidston Link as I stated above.

It is also strange that this land has not been built on.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 5:10pm
This any clue? I've tried to roughly overlap where they'd be. They look like they're more likely to be the tiny dots rather than the big thing so I've put those in orange to help (somewhat) with identification.

Attached picture CrudeImageOverlayOrange.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 6:44pm
I feel a mission coming on people!
He who dares.....!
flex
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 7:12pm
very interesting good find wink
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 7:14pm
Well to be fair your not a million miles away with that overlay Stuy wink nice one.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 23rd Jul 2008 9:35pm
I'm just glad they're of the same orientation, Paint doesn't have rotational abilities! grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 24th Jul 2008 6:24am
That overlay is brilliant BigBad and yes the little dots are the shafts the circular thing was a pond.

Just off to sharpen my spade ....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 24th Jul 2008 3:58pm
Bad news, had a rummage around the site today, the left hand shaft (by roundabout) is probably under a 20ft earth embankment. The rest of the "field" looks very much like it has been covered with at least top soil in recent years judging from soil quality and age and types of plants. Possibly when they levelled Tesco car park. It is much more overgrown in places than I thought, the area by the roundabout is just about inaccessible, the area around the right hand shaft needs quite a bit of flattening, perhaps late Autumn I might go with a probing rod. I strongly suspect under the top soil will be a layer of waste (rubble etc) of some sorts.

It sprung to mind as to what happened to Conway Park Station debris when they dug that out?

I took a couple of photos but they don't show anything so haven't bothered putting them up.

I've put the spade away, back to map searching, it was a nice hour out in the open anyway.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 24th Jul 2008 8:46pm
nice investigating there fella
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 17th Aug 2008 1:05pm
Interesting stuff there, know the area quite well and it does seem from a first glance that those vent points would be under years of filled in soil. Didn't know about those points though, though I know they did have decoy buildings by Bidston station where fires would be lit to divert bombers from bombing the nearby Bidston docks, remains of the buildings were there 1992-3 but I think it got so overgrown there and it's a bit of a hzard being marshland.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 20th Feb 2009 7:55pm
has anyone checked this out?
Posted By: PhilH Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 9:26am
Air shafts for what?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 9:33am
Thats the Question! think
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 11:42am
Since this was on the edge of a marshy area, Bidston Moss, it's difficult to imagine the area being suitable for mining. Maybe they were sunk to allow the escape of methane from the marshy land below?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 2:10pm
could well be!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 4:38pm
I haven't given up on this as yet, my best bet at the moment is that they were remains of air-raid shelters but there is some mention of ammunition huts in that area.

Here is the same site in 1972ish.

Attached picture Aerial1972c.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 4:46pm
good work mate!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 5:00pm
i have looked for these but spotted nothing as such yet wink

tunnel me dudes wink
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 5:03pm
been today robbo nothing yet just brambles!
Posted By: w10694 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 21st Feb 2009 9:51pm
The 1972 aerial photo looks like some sort of sports track / oval - if you look just east, there is a sports ground with a 440 yard running track marked out with 8 lanes and looking about the same size - perhaps this one was a cycle track / dog track / training track ? Further east there is a football pitch, and some stadiums / pavilions ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Feb 2009 10:57am
Here are the pictures I took last July, the shaft should be where the big bush touches the path.

Attached picture S8002108s.JPG
Attached picture S8002109s.JPG
Attached picture S8002110s.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Feb 2009 11:26am
I can see where to look now kid! nice one!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Feb 2009 11:48am
when you looking dude ? pm
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Feb 2009 12:21pm
Originally Posted by w10694
The 1972 aerial photo looks like some sort of sports track / oval - if you look just east, there is a sports ground with a 440 yard running track marked out with 8 lanes and looking about the same size - perhaps this one was a cycle track / dog track / training track ? Further east there is a football pitch, and some stadiums / pavilions ?

This place you describe as a running track used to be Valley Rd playing fields.The Bidston tennis centre now stands on the exact spot.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 26th May 2011 2:11pm
Just a thought! That area must have a very high water table. Remember how easily Bidston Station used tot flood. If they were air holes perhaps they were from sewer pipes. Any tunnels would require almost continuous pumping.
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 31st May 2011 6:10pm
I lived in Mason Avenue (now Wildbrook Drive)from 1948 until 1971 and I can assure you that Comptons field never had any airshafts on it while we played on it. There was a couple of ponds, the cowpond and the crater and what we called the 7 seas. This was an area that flooded often as the water ran down from the top of the field. Comptons field became a tip to supposedly become a sports track. The original dump was alongside the Bidston railyard. This became the playing area with the sports barn that is there now. If there had been an airshaft we would have found it.

As I have mentioned on another thread the RAF base field was on the other side of Lennox Lane and abutting the railway line at Bidston station.

The only reason Bidston station flooded was because the Birket used to overflow in very bad weather were you might get days of continuous rain. That was cured when the river was diverted to an undergriound culvert leading down to the Morpeth dock area by the lairage.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 15th Jun 2011 10:16pm
I think that those if us talking about tips are spot on!

If you have a look at this map on the Environment Agency website showing historical landfill - there's Compton Road Tip - I bet they were/are methane vents

http://maps.environment-agency.gov....8836.0208333332&y=390552.91666666645
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 15th Jun 2011 10:22pm
Good thought, but I don't think they used Methane Vents in 1956, I'll try and date when it was used as landfill.

I suspect it was only a soft landfill site, not general waste. Perhaps just a dumping ground when they removed Bidston Steel Mill and cleared for Tesco's etc.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 16th Jun 2011 6:39am
I used to know the lad who was involved in that site when we had a Birkenhead Corpy, I think there was an attempt to make an outline of a future sports area, but sailor boy Heath destroyed the idea with his Metropolitan messes, the guy I last saw in the 80s sadly I was in a hell or a rush so didn't have chance to chat to him, I presume he's moved on to pastures new to fill up with rubbish somewhere in the world.
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Jun 2011 7:22pm
Nope! there were no methane vents on either tip. We spent most of our childhood playing on both sites.

The first methane vent was on the proper Bidston Moss tip. And that was vented to provide gas to Cadburys.

The Compton Road tip was not just general waste. I well recall ripping open a bag full of chiken legs. The tipping of that waste on Compton road started in the middle to late 60s. The Valley road site was finshed as a tip by the early 50s.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Jun 2011 7:28pm
Originally Posted by Raymondoj
The first methane vent was on the proper Bidston tip. And that was vented to provide gas to Cadburys.

Which if I remember correctly was eventually outlawed because European Law said tips had to be vented to atmosphere and they didn't allow for capture and being used as an energy source.

Then the ruling changed again ..... dah di dah ...

Didn't know it was Cadbury's that got the goodies though thumbsup
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Bidston's two airshafts - 22nd Jun 2011 7:31pm
I might also add that the Compton Road tip was never fenced off as the Bidston Moss tip was. Bin lorries just came dumped the stuff and went. A bulldozer levelled it all and they sprayed it with disenfectant. One summer during all this dumping the avenues suffered with a plague of grasshoppers. They were everywhere in the houses
© Wirral-Wikiwirral