Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Wirral's Castles - 11th Jul 2008 9:07pm
A question for those wot are better read than I .... has there never been a proper castle on the Wirral?

The only two castles I know of are Heswall Castle about 1900 and Leasowe Castle about 1600, surely there must have been some others. (no I won't include pubs in this class)

I think there are some forts but I have never seen any pictorial representations/guesses of these even. Any info on these would be appreciated.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 2:18am
Liscard Castle (demolished around 1902)
Liscard Battery (built on around 1912-14, gatehouse & wall still exists ( http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/magical/placenames/liscard.asp )

Fort Perch Rock (still standing) ( http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/Pages/fort.htm )

Hooton Hall (not a castle nor a fort but a magnificent building, demolished 1932)
( http://lh.matthewbeckett.com/houses/lh_cheshire_hootonhall.html )
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 3:52pm
Tell me more BigBad - I have never heard of Liscard Castle - any idea when it was built, is it Seabank (aka Liscard manor which I haven't seen any pictures of). I have heard of Liscard Battery but never realised that gateway was part of it.

I always forget Fort Perch Rock with it not being on Wirral land.

I have dug up another - Shotwick Castle.

First time I have seen a picture of Hooton Hall, knew of it but never spotted a picture.

What I am really looking for are defensive buildings (saying that after missing out Fort Perch Rock - doh!). There must have been some Roman ones 'cos they were all over the Wirral pinching sandstone.

Cheers for you reponse.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 4:31pm
dont no if this will be any good.

liscard castle
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 7:59pm
Liscard Castle (Gleaned from my Yesterday's Wirral Pictoral History 1890 to 1953 book)

Otherwise known as Marsden's Castle or Marsden's Folly, it stood at the Hoseside Road end of Seaview Rd and was demolished circa. 1902. (itself from a book called Old Mansions of Wallasey, JS Rebecca, 1994)

If I remember correctly though it was never an actual castle, more a mansion-type building and some story of it falling into major disrepair. I recall reading that somewhere but I can't pinpoint where.

With Liscard Battery I've got this:
http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/liscard-battery/

Liscard Battery, Wallasey was built to protect shipping on the Mersey, England. Originally the location of a powder magazine until population pressure moved it off-shore, in 1858 a battery of 7 10" guns was erected on the site. Set back from the river and hidden by new building, it was known as "the snake in the grass" to local inhabitants. The battery was obsolete by 1912, and sold on, and houses were errected on top, and now the site has an odd appearance with only the curtain wall and ornate crenellated gatehouse surviving.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 8:27pm
Thanks Jason & BigBad

Liscard castle certainly looks like a folly but you can never tell after people change buildings into homes. Now the name Marsden's Folly is ringing bells.

Cheers
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 12th Jul 2008 11:29pm
Sea View Rd - Was called Marsden Lane up to 1819.

Interesting, taken from here:
http://www.andysutton.co.uk/old/wallstrnames.htm
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 13th Jul 2008 1:29pm
Cheers BigBad

John Astley Marsden lived in Liscard Castle, he was born around 1810 and certainly lived after 1842 but this doesn't tie in with the Marsden Road name being earlier. Seaview Hall was on an adjacent site to the castle, at some time Seaview hall was Seaview cottages (don't know if this was before or after the Castle). The castle is on maps 1880 and 1900 but disappears by 1913 (when Castle Road and Turret Road etc arrived) which ties in with your 1902 demolition date.

dd
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 14th Jul 2008 7:32pm
Yep Liscard Castle was infact an old manor house but had turrets at some point, hence the name.

There was a defence fort / castle on the site of pool hall in Poulton. I have taken this from my upcoing website:

"Poulton Hall is the supposed site of the Medieval castle at Poulton. There are no traces of earthworks or any evidence of a castle having existed here other than some nondescript remains of masonry around the area. This is a site which would have been of strategic value since it overlooked a river crossing and was on high land overlooking the area. We do not know why the castle no longer exists, but we can assume that like many around England, the funds were not there to sustain it and it would have fallen into disrepair. Researchers at Nottingham university and Professor Stephen Harding who is heavily involved with Wirrals heritage believe that Poulton Hall was maybe the site of Brunas old fortress, as the saga claims that the battle of Brunanburh took place on health land beside a river and woodland. Only half a mile from Poulton Hall is Bebbington Heath which is next to the River Dibbin and Storeton Woods, so this fits in with the description in the saga."
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 14th Jul 2008 8:08pm
Wow - cheers fricky, that is definately new info - I will be looking into this.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 16th Jul 2008 6:31pm
OK nice one, if you find any more info let me know and i will add it to my site
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 17th Jul 2008 10:27am
Found Poulton Castle remains on a map beside Poulton Hall.

Also found an iron age Burton Fort on Burton Point.

I have been hoping to find a fort around the Meols area but nothing so far.

Description: Poulton Castle Map
Attached picture PoultonCastleMap1882.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 17th Jul 2008 4:24pm
Nice one ! have you got a bigger version of that map i could have a copy of ?
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 22nd Jul 2008 11:44am
Just from reading my History of the Hundred of Wirral pdf I've linked to elsewhere, there's this little glimmer of info:

"and the Greens of Poulton, who are descended by the female line, from the ancient family of the Lancelyns of Poulton-Lancelyn, the remains of whose castle may yet be traced near the present hall, by one accustomed to antiquarian searches."

So perhaps digging into the Lancelyns or the Greens will give you info on Poulton Castle.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 22nd Jul 2008 9:17pm
Sorry Flicky - missed your reply

The maps are screen grabs and I can't do much better, if I zoom out you can't see anything (especially words).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 22nd Jul 2008 9:23pm
Yes BigBad I spotted that - unfortunately they have a LOT of history. I am suffering from information overload at the moment, as usual you start off looking at one thing and other "interesting" things pop up left, right and centre and before you know it you have forgotten what you started out to do.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 29th Jul 2008 2:50pm
Keep on digging !
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 29th Jul 2008 3:44pm
[Linked Image]
Hopefully this will help in some way, it's not amazingly clear but you can see where the remains are, the roads are pretty well lined up as are the buildings so you can see exactly where the castle ruins are. Maybe some sort of archaeological dig wouldn't be amiss?

Here's a close-up too:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: total_tinting Re: Wirral's Castles - 29th Jul 2008 5:35pm
Hi just found this topic. I live on the poulton lancelyn estate and this intrested me. I have found a map saying that there was a castle in spital but from what i can make but it was a wooden castle and there are no remains. Go to this link and it shows where the castle was.

www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

This is an extract from The Gatehouse web site:

Supposed site of Medieval castle at Poulton Hall. There are no traces of earthworks or any evidence of a castle having existed here. This is a site which could have been of some slight strategic value since it overlooks a river crossing but does not appear to be a manorial centre and is unlikely in my view. King writes "some nondescript remains of masonry"

Hope this will help
Posted By: total_tinting Re: Wirral's Castles - 29th Jul 2008 5:45pm
oops sorry that link doesn't seem to work. Will try and do a page grab
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 5th Aug 2008 10:59am
Stuey, what makes you beleive that those lines are the remains mate ?

Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 5th Aug 2008 12:38pm
purely the curvature of the roads surrounding and the building layout, it's not a precise fit but it'd be within a few yards. If you try it yourself and compare DiggingDeeper's map as an overlay to the one Google Maps provides you can see how the road formations fit as well as a lot of the buildings, particularly in the top-left of the site. The line at the top is a pure guess but on the basis of there being an existing wall there and the features match up to the overlay I put on I thought it was a fit. The whole thing is a rough estimate but it's based on pretty solid evidence from above. The ruins look like they'd be the big black smudge in the cluster of trees in the top-middle of the lower picture.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 5th Aug 2008 8:16pm
Good work - U should be in C.I.D. Maybe then we would have some bad people in prison instead of harassing motorists !
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 6th Aug 2008 12:16am
Heh, had a rejection letter from the police when I applied a few weeks back. Also I'm for motorists being harassed if they're driving like tools, I'm a cyclist primarily! laugh Hopefully they'll take on board my new initiative to tackle my pet peeve:

"Don't hesitate. Indicate."

God I hate those people who don't use them, really gets up my nose. Anyway, back to the topic in hand hopefully someone can use them to great effect, it'd be good to see a piece of history unearthed on our beloved little peninsula. Or possible former island if this thing I read about is to be presumed correct (evidence of a stream across the bottom by the Suttons a good long time ago).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 6th Aug 2008 9:03am
That overlay is brillaint bigbad - it confirms the likelyhood that something exists/existed at the remains site.

I have almost given up on Poulton Castle, there is too much confusion.

There are too many Poultons, some off them have Forts/Castles associated with them not to mention Poulton halls. Unfortunately the Lancelyn-Greens have associations with quite a few of them as well.

POULTON-le-Fylde near Blackpool in Lancashire
POULTON-le-Sands, now part of Morecambe in Lancashire
POULTON-with-Fearnhead, on the east of Warrington. Lancashire
POULTON near Liverpool, Cheshire
POULTON cum Seacombe, now part of Wallasey in Cheshire
POULTON cum Spital, now part of Bromborough in Cheshire
POULTON Lancelyn, a hamlet in Poulton cum Spital
POULTON a hamlet in Pulford near Chester in Cheshire
POULTON a hamlet of Asterley in Shropshire
POULTON now part of Awre in Gloucestershire
POULTON near Cirencester in Gloucestershire
POULTON Priory in Gloucestershire
POULTON an ancient village, now part of Mildenhall near Marlborough in Wiltshire
POULTON Wood in Aldington, near Ashford in Kent
POULTON a village near Deal in Kent, which declined after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the early 16th Century
POLTON near Edinburgh in Midlothian in Scotland
There are also over 3000 villages in the UK, deserted by their medieval occupants due to Black Death or marginal farming- some of these may have been called POULTON

A typical question is Mortimer's History of the Hundred of Wirral where he is talking about Poulton Hall in Poulton-Spital (4 miles from Birkenhead, 13 from Chester) and immediately links to Dodleston Castle where there is another Poulton Hall (of Channel 4 fame), have the two got confused at some time?

Poulton-cum-Spital - I have seen maps of 1882, 1899, 1912, 1936 and 1956 all showing Castle remains next to Poulton Hall, most of these maps have definately been resurveys not just redraws because things like trees in the vicinity have changed - but still a mound of stones once labelled Remains of Castle may stay that way from map to map.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 6th Aug 2008 9:21am
LISCARD CASTLE

I though I would pass on some dribs and drabs I have found about Lisard Castle - most are from hurridly scribbled notes and so there may be spelling errors etc....

Description from 1854 - 4 entertainment rooms, 8 good size bedrooms, Bath, WC, Coachhome and Stables, Conservatories extended gardens and pleasure gardens in 10 Acres.

Castle was rented out as furnished during much of the 1850-1884 (when it wasn't empty)

Rev G F Grundy was there, he was the Headmaster of Risley Grammer School, Shropshire.

1857 Mrs Marshall

1885 John Astley Marsden

1882-1883 Mr P de Lacy Garton (or Ganton)who died, seems he owned the Castle because the his Administrators sold of all the furniture by auction on 9/2/1884

Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 6th Aug 2008 9:51pm
good work, iv got some info i will post on Liscard castle but we must remember it was not a castle at all, infact it was just a large house.

I think a trip to Poulton Hall is in order to see if wecan get around the grounds and note any debris or land anomolies.

Anyone up for that?
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 6th Aug 2008 11:36pm
If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk and put in CH63 9LN (the hall's postcode) then you can look at some old maps there, interestingly on the last one in the 1930's the words "Castle: Remains of" are shifted to the other side of the road...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 9th Aug 2008 11:12am
Poulton Castle

I have some more information on this - it was sitting on my desk without me realising it!!!!

Permission was given to build a grange and cottage in 13th Century

Poulton Hall (or parts of the modern structure) was built mid 1600s probably on top of an older structure.

A former hall stood on a high knoll slightly north of the present hall in the fields known as the Marfords - this is presumed to be Poulton Castle.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 10th Aug 2008 10:44am
So where is this cottage it refers to then ???

Hmmmmmm
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wirral's Castles - 10th Aug 2008 10:53am
Maybe the hall was built on top of it, it does say it was built on an existing structure so it's feasible.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Wirral's Castles - 10th Aug 2008 12:05pm
Hi
I went to Central Library yesterday to look at maps and the reference library librarian said you can compare maps online:

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

You can look at the tithe maps for 1836-1851. I found the lighthouse that sits behind the houses in Hoylake (didn't realise it was so old) - you can even look at the plot details. There was another lighthouse on the corner of Alderley Rd just where it bends. Both were owned by the Corporation of Liverpool.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Wirral's Castles - 10th Aug 2008 12:30pm
Surprised that at this point the battery is just a patch of waste land owned by Liverpool Corporation. Plot on corner of Mariners Rd and Magazine Brow appears to be the original (looked on Live search map in bird's eye. Says it was owned at that time by James Leay - I am sure I have heard his name linked with ownership of Tam O'Shanter cottage.

Attached picture magazine.jpg
Attached picture jamesleaycottages.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral's Castles - 10th Aug 2008 10:07pm
Thats a great tool, i will have a playa round with that
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 18th Apr 2022 9:01am
I always believed Wirral had a missing castle, well here is something interesting from the 17th century at New Brighton? It can't be Mockbegger Hall as the inlet is still present?

The anomaly with this map is Hawarden (Harden) being marked differently, St Asaph is presumably Rhuddlan

https://www.chartae-antiquae.cz/en/maps/30983
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Wirral's Castles - 21st Apr 2022 1:09pm
Of course, 'IF' the Battle of Brunenburh' took place on Wirral, there should be one at Bromborough (brunen=spring, burh=fortification). Or there again it could have been taken to be the one at Poulton? Just a thought.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral's Castles - 21st Apr 2022 8:12pm
Originally Posted by billy_anorak59
Of course, 'IF' the Battle of Brunenburh' took place on Wirral, there should be one at Bromborough (brunen=spring, burh=fortification). Or there again it could have been taken to be the one at Poulton? Just a thought.

Poulton Castle was built 100 years after the Battle of Brunenburh but that doesn't preclude another earlier fortification being on the site as is quite common.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral