Forums
Posted By: chriskay Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 3:11pm
Here's another pic. I found in the library. The steps are long gone, but the top part of Hillside Rd. is still there.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Attached picture hillside rd. sm.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 4:02pm
Good Stuff Chris, i dont know too much about Tranmere early days, it always seemed very Victorian to me.
Posted By: dave_g Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 4:26pm
walked up them yesterday!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 4:33pm
i had to walk up them when i sold my car and was getting the train to and from work. smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 4:50pm
As mentioned Chris, the steps are still there today.

Click Me

Good find though smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 5:36pm
are they the steps right by the old house pub (doubt it's still open) - kind of opposite where green lane station is?

sure we used to call them the monkey steps? (i'm not sure y we called them that, but they may have been linked to monks or something) - another little avenue of investigation for u...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 6:05pm
Yeah Davey, they are by the side of a pub, not sure of the name, but it's still open.

I've known them as monkey steps too, I think its because each step is so long, you have to walk like a monkey to step on each one lol

I very much doubt they go back as far as the monks though mate lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 6:07pm
lol think it's the old house or little house - bin of a pub, me grandad practically used to live in there

how long ago did the monks exist? lol - i wouldnt have a clue, could be right with ur conclusion!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 6:39pm
The Monks - between 1150 and 1536, so at least 3 centuries before the steps lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 7:10pm
lol yea, i think u could be right with that one...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 8:26pm
Although, as a child I lived in Prenton, a lot of my friends lived in Tranmere. The Monkey Steps were always called as such. No one could ever say why they had that name. They were just ... The Monkey Steps !

Near to the steps is the area that is now Holborn Square Ind. Est. It was known as Donkey Town. Pretty grim and not too many folk shed a tear when it all got the chop. Again.... why "Donkey Town" ??

Anyone any thoughts on this ? Sorry if drifting OT a bit.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 9th Jul 2008 9:33pm
Well, I'd no idea the steps were still there, but the other day driving round there I remember seeing The Old House At Home pub. A strange name, but quite a common one; I know another two, both in the Black Country.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 10th Jul 2008 11:17am
i used walk up & down them when i used go on little adventures with my sister but one time we walked all the way to Rock Ferry railway station from the botom of them and the poiice looked for us also they are near a couple of enterences to the tranmere tunnels
Posted By: Wheels Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 14th Jul 2008 7:43pm
happened to be in the area tonight wink

Attached picture DSCF3204.jpg
Attached picture DSCF3205.jpg
Attached picture DSCF3206.jpg
Posted By: Chris_M Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 15th Jul 2008 4:38pm
Hi all I am new to the site think this might be my first posting I lived in Oriel Road for 23 years so most of my childhood was spent in Tranmere I can remember the old White cottages along Old Chester Rd witch was called Donkey Town just before the Monkey Steps found this link that explains the name of donkey town
http://archive.wirralglobe.co.uk/1997/7/3/21660.html
Cheers Chris Markey
Posted By: Wheels Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 15th Jul 2008 5:44pm
Hi and welcome Chris_M that was a cool story behind the name, i could picture the little donkey with his hat on smile
Posted By: derekdwc Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 2nd Jan 2009 11:02pm
monkey steps

Attached picture monkey steps.JPG
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 3rd Jan 2009 12:07am
Great pics Derek thumbsup

Originally Posted by derekdwc
alongside it are the monkey steps
Anyone know why they are called that

There is a topic on the monkey steps in Tranmere, but I don't think we found out why they are called that.
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 3rd Jan 2009 2:31am
I've heard of this before where about is it?
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 3rd Jan 2009 2:47am
Takes me back to my childhood. grin
Posted By: chriskay Re: Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 3rd Jan 2009 11:06am
Here's an earlier thread about the Monkey Steps.
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums.../steps/Search/true/Steps.html#Post242296
Posted By: jimbob Re: Monkey Steps - Tranmere - 3rd Jan 2009 3:31pm
In reply to both the monkey steps and donkey town which is on a seperate thread.
The pub at the bottom of the monkey steps is the Old House at Home and it is still open. During the late 1940s and early 1950s and most likley long before then. The men selling bundles of sticks for the fire kept the donkeys that pulled the carts in a yard in Stewart Place {which was always known as donkey town. I was born in Lower Tranmere as where both my parent. The earlier generation where in Tranmere in the 1870s
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Tranmere Long Stairs to Ferry - 11th Jul 2016 8:54pm
I only know these steps as the donkey steps, that's why the steps are long, easy for a donkey to use to take loads up top.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral