Forums
Posted By: chriskay Identity cards - 3rd Jun 2008 2:23pm
We all know that people have strong views about the idea of having an Identity Card scheme, but there have been two schemes in the past. The first was during the first World War, 1914-1918 & was apparently not very successful. The second was during the World War of 1939-1945 (our American friends were late for both of these events) thumbsdown
As with a number of wartime schemes, this one didn't end with the end of the war but continued till 1952. Another wartime scheme which continued after the war, and in some ways was worse, was rationing. Anyway, here's a scan of an Identity Card.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture identity card small.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identity cards - 4th Jun 2008 9:16am
Yep - I still have mine from 1939-45

Snod
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Identity cards - 4th Jun 2008 9:20am
hmmm...the thing is, is although in certain ways i agree with identity cards, in other ways i dont, as its tightening our freedom...

i do agree with them in the sense of identifying someone...either victims, or criminals...that sorta thing...

but at the same time, if your wrongly identified, its not fair...

everyone has different views on stuff smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Identity cards - 5th Jun 2008 7:18am
The thing that springs to mind from the image above chris
with today's technologies would they have been that difficult
to forge?

What if there were any identifier's to notice it wasn't a forgery
i know we have seen "Hollywood" movies and they make it look
or seem difficult but not impossibel?

Was forged ID cards an issue?
And how could you tell?

Thanks for sharing Chris.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Identity cards - 19th Jul 2008 9:32pm
That card is unbelievably quaint. How easy would it be to forge one LOL
I think what's more worrying is how local authorities are taking our info anyway these days - and only if we notice do we manage to stop them sharing our info. E.g. I got a card through the door today from Wirral PCT saying that they will be taking my medical records from my GP and storing the info centrally. They say they will of course be making it anonymous before they use it. So why do they still say it will be kept confidential, if it has been made anonymous?
Then there's the local council selling your electoral information to all and sundry to put junk mail thru your door...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Identity cards - 20th Jul 2008 10:18am
I guess a competent forger could have produced one with his eyes shut grin Think of how prisoners of war in Germany managed to forge documents without any proper facilities.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral