Forums
Posted By: chriskay Anderson shelter - 3rd Jun 2008 10:27am
We had one of these in our back garden during the war. I guess my dad built it. I remember us spending the night in there a few times.

Attached picture anderson1small.jpg
Attached picture anderson2 small.jpg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Anderson shelter - 3rd Jun 2008 10:34am
I think my nan had one of these in her back garden, though IIRC it was a pit, with rusted corrogated panels around the side - I also think the roof had collapased, or was at least very rusted and thin....

Cracking post - jogged my memory smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Anderson shelter - 3rd Jun 2008 9:41pm
They were normally setup by the people who dropped them off, its quite rare that people built them themselves. Incidently the name Anderson Shelter was named after the home secretary during WW2.

Thanks im here all week learn

Posted By: Mark Re: Anderson shelter - 3rd Jun 2008 11:43pm
When i done my garden i dug one of these up
well bits of it anyway lol

Great post chris
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Anderson shelter - 3rd Jun 2008 11:45pm
I used to be obsessed with war and things when younger (average boy)...I could never grasp how one of these shelters would survive a bomb blast, direct or otherwise
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Anderson shelter - 4th Jun 2008 6:27am
Originally Posted by DoctorFrick
They were normally setup by the people who dropped them off, its quite rare that people built them themselves. Incidently the name Anderson Shelter was named after the home secretary during WW2.

Thanks im here all week learn

There is evidence in the councils war committee minutes of grants being awarded for the construction of shelters by individual households. So I presume if you didn't want to wait for the council you could do it your self. thumbsup
All the councils records for the second world war are available to view at the archive service but you need to book first
Posted By: chriskay Re: Anderson shelter - 4th Jun 2008 8:49am
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
I used to be obsessed with war and things when younger (average boy)...I could never grasp how one of these shelters would survive a bomb blast, direct or otherwise

In reality, the corrugated iron wouldn't be much defence; it was the combination of that and over 3 cubic metres of earth surrounding it which gave the protection.
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Anderson shelter - 4th Jun 2008 3:59pm
quite amazing really...amazing that a bomb could destroy a complete house, and yet it didnt destroy them...

i am very interested in the second world war....i actually want to visit aushwitz too..i acutally believe that it is dead round there, no birds fly over head, and no living creatures can be found frown

The Anderson shelter was designed in 1938 by William Paterson and Oscar Carl (Karl) Kerrison in response to a request from the Home Office. It was named after Sir John Anderson, then Lord Privy Seal with special responsibility for preparing air-raid precautions immediately prior to the outbreak of World War II, and it was he who then initiated the development of the shelter. After evaluation by Dr David Anderson, Bertram Lawrence Hurst, and Sir Henry Jupp, of the Institution of Civil Engineers, the design was released for production.

Anderson shelters were designed to accommodate up to six people. The main principle of protection was based on curved and straight galvanised corrugated steel panels. Six curved panels were bolted together at the top, so forming the main body of the shelter, three straight sheets on either side, and two more straight panels were fixed to each end, one containing the door — a total of fourteen panels. A small drainage sump was often incorporated in the floor to collect rainwater seeping into the shelter. The shelters were 6 ft (1.8 m) high, 4 ft 6 in (1.4 m) wide, and 6 ft 6 in (2 m) long. They were buried 4 ft (1.2 m) deep in the soil and then covered with a minimum of 15 in (0.4 m) of soil above the roof. The earth banks could be planted with vegetables and flowers, that at times could be quite an appealing sight and in this way would become the subject of competitions of the best-planted shelter among householders in the neighbourhood. The internal fitting out of the shelter was left to the owner and so there were wide variations in comfort.

Anderson shelters were issued free to all householders who earned less than £250 a year, and those with a higher income were charged £7. 150,000 shelters of this type were distributed from February 1939 to the outbreak of war. During the war a further 2.1 million were erected.

At the end of the war in Europe, households who had received an Anderson shelter were expected to remove their shelters and local authorities began the task of reclaiming the corrugated iron. Householders who wished to keep their Anderson shelter (or more likely the valuable metal) could pay a nominal fee.[citations needed]

Because of the large number made and their robustness, many Anderson shelters still survive. Many were dug up after the war and converted into storage sheds for use in gardens and allotments.[7]

Wikipedia
Posted By: chriskay Re: Anderson shelter - 4th Jun 2008 9:46pm
Hi, Nikki; a good extract from Wikipedia there, as you can see, there was only about 2 feet above ground & that was covered with earth. The earth floor inside could get pretty wet & usually people used duckboards.
I'm glad that you're interested in the war (I assume you were too young to experience it). When I was last in Prague I wanted to visit Auschwitz but never got round to it. When I visited my son in Germany a few years ago he took me to visit Bergen Belsen, which was not an extermination camp as such, but thousands died from sickness & starvation; a very moving experience.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral