Forums
Posted By: Colgo The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 11:07am
This Wreck has fascinated me for years, here's what I know about it and some pics, any further info would be great.

ARABIAN PRINCE was built in 1919 by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5764grt, a length of 405ft, a beam of 52ft 4in and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Persian Prince she was delivered in January 1919. She was sold to Turner, Brightman & Co. of London for operation as the Zenada by the 'Z' Steam Ship Co. in 1927. In 1933 she was acquired by Theofanos Maritime of Chios, with N. G. Livanos as managers, and renamed Nestos. On 2nd April 1941, during a voyage from New Orleans to Garston, she was wrecked in fog on the Hoyle Bank at the entrance of the River Mersey after being half a mile off course.

The wreck was used for target practice during the war.

Description: What she looked like when she was built
Attached picture Arabian Prince.jpg

Description: loking from Kings Gap in Hoylake. On the horizon slightly to the right of centre.
Attached picture kg no zoom.JPG

Description: Zoomed in, looks like you can walk to it. you cant
Attached picture kg optic.JPG

Description: Full digi zoom, not very clear it, was a hazy day and no tripod,but you can see the main structure
Attached picture kg digi.JPG

Description: Taken from Red Rocks.On the horizon just to the left of the end of the wall
Attached picture rr no zoom.JPG

Description: Zoomed in
Attached picture rr optic.JPG

Description: Full Digi zoom. again a bit Hazy
Attached picture rr digi.JPG

Description: Her exact position (Thanks to the boys at Hoylake lifeboat) a lot further out than it looks and is always surrounded by water
Attached picture map.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 11:32am
Very interestying, some good shots, nice one for posting it mate!!

smile
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 11:59am
i am very interested in stuff like that to be honest, that was very good reading, if you get anymore info, please post it.....

maybe we shud set up a day where we sail or boat it over to it and look... smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 12:00pm
wow, never knew that was there.

Thanks for posting it smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 12:16pm
excellent find mate ,i have never heard anything about this thumbsup
Posted By: StuyMac Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 12:24pm
I belive there is another wreck out in the channel towards where the Bar Lightship used to be...
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 12:26pm
it is my goal in life ya know.....to dive s shipwreck, i really wanna do it ya know!!!!

i want to do one thats just of the Cyprus coast.... smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 2:04pm
thats interestying that m8 good job happy
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 2:14pm
Thats awesome..I never knew that even existed..cheers thumbsup

Before i joined Cruisewirral (Due to not letting Hotmail users join btw) I joined MerseyCruise. One of the lads on there had a black 206...and he took photos of his car on the coast somewhere, where they had an old rusty ship that looked lke it had been sunk or something.

Cant really give any info, but does anyone know if this is on the Wirral at all??? thumbsup
Posted By: Ducko Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 2:35pm
i think taht ship was carrying ammo when it sank there has been a few controlled explosions out thear over the years my dad fishers out there alot and has found a few shells on the hoyle bank that have washed up try and get some pics of them and post them on ps. allways check hight and time ov the tide be safe
Posted By: Colgo Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 2:39pm
Originally Posted by Ducko
i think taht ship was carrying ammo when it sank there has been a few controlled explosions out thear over the years my dad fishers out there alot and has found a few shells on the hoyle bank that have washed up try and get some pics of them and post them on ps. allways check hight and time ov the tide be safe

i dont think it was carrying ammo, the shells are all spent ones from when it was used for target practice. I have heard it was carrying oranges and crates of them where washed up for weeks afterwards
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 5:56pm
this is good stuff the info is out there it just needs digging up
Posted By: mike849 Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 6:18pm
very intresting never new that exsisted! will have to go an have a look
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 7:58pm
There are lots of wrecks in the Dee, most vessels cant navigate it now, as it has silted up; but at one time it was far busier than the river mersey. There was lots of intentional wrecking there and many of the ships ended up washed up in moreton and wallasey which gave rumour to the wallasey wreckers. However that is only a myth as the wreckers were in hoylake & west kirby, it was just the ships cargo and contraband which was taken to wallasey & bidston.
Posted By: Mark Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 9:03pm
wow there great them pictures.
That's wiki challenge i would think.....

Its great the way you have presented this topic,
easy to find and understand where it is and your pictures
make it easy to locate too.

Thanks for sharing wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 9:07pm
wow never knew that nice one
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 10:40pm
nice one colgo, i didnt know that existed, with it being on sand surrounded by water my curiosity will probably lead me to a watery grave! how do you sleep at night? smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st May 2008 11:03pm
Originally Posted by renault_longmong
nice one colgo, i didnt know that existed, with it being on sand surrounded by water my curiosity will probably lead me to a watery grave! how do you sleep at night? smile

"Mostly Drunk, and on top of people"

- Charlie Harper 2007 yes
Posted By: Colgo Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 22nd May 2008 7:10am
Originally Posted by renault_longmong

You may be joking,but I would like to make it very clear you CANNOT walk out to the wreck, it always surrounded by water and is only visable at low tide. The tide comes in very quickly here and you can easily get cut off and drown....

I will be able to sleep at night now happy
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 22nd May 2008 12:47pm
Not to mention the likelyhood of quicksand.

Tis a shame you can't get to it!

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 7:54pm
So come on then people, who's had a go?

laugh
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:08pm
That is amazing. All the times I've been to red rocks and never noticed it. Probably thought it was just a sandstone outcrop.
Fantastic! This is what I really like about WikiWirral - people talking about things that have always been there but you just don't know about (e.g. Stanlow Abbey).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:14pm
I wanna go as far out as possible one day, see how close one can get, but i value my safety too much frown

Maybe in the summer though, if we ever get one.
Posted By: mikeyfreedom Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:20pm
ha ha it'd be fun but you'd end uplike them cockle pickers a few years ago
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:23pm
If we left you there long enough you might fossilise. A polystrate man.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:35pm
Heh could be fun!
Posted By: mikeyfreedom Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:46pm
you free next saturday then?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:48pm
Too cold lmao!
Posted By: mikeyfreedom Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:49pm
we can hug to share the warmth if it too cold. only jokin i can't swim
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:50pm
Fossilised men hugging - what will the future's anthropologists think?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 10:51pm
Scott likes swimming in the sea in winter... well, arsing about at least. He will go with you im sure, anything to get dirty is Scott.

[youtube]gkzqKjIpVcM[/youtube]
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2008 11:32pm
thats ace

i remember when you first made that
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 12:35am
Hire a small hovercraft and go out there.

Youll be safe then, whatevers thrown at you
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 12:35am
Where can we hire a hovercraft?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 12:56am
Hovercraft Hiring Shop???

I dont know tbh, there must be some form of small business or something that will let you.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:04am
Can we go out there in your Micra now that you are no longer using it?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:05am
It will be like a beach buggy lol!!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:13am
Well, as long as it doesnt get destryed in process raftl raftl

Need to sell that now, to try and match the price of the Alfa..being a Student, times arent good for me.

I know they sell pleasure hovercrafts. and Im sure they use Hovercrafts on the beaches, so they dont sink. Maybe persuade coastguard to take you out it one?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:21am
Ow about one of these...

[Linked Image]

think
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:32am
No Dice !!!

That thing could be overturned by a Mersey Trout, let alone any waves you may come across.

Stick with Hovercraft

Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:34am
Hmmm just had a thought, there is supposed to be a whirlpool out by Hilbre Island, so I dunno if we should risk it or not??

tease
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:37am
Yep, a ghostly Whirlpool. A whirlpool, that cant suck anything in that isnt touching it...Such as a Hovercraft...

Oh the beauty of Hovercraft.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 8th Dec 2008 1:40am
Seriously man, we shall have to venture out there in the summer, and see how near we can get, safety would be paramount of course.

I dont expect to reach it, but would love to get nearer, get some better photo's...

smile
Posted By: saxokid Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 20th Dec 2008 9:40pm
Wow some good pics of the wreck,ive heard of it but never seen it ...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 30th May 2009 7:58pm
wish you were here folks smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 1st Jun 2009 12:57pm
How random - are you at the Wreck Matty think
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st Jun 2009 11:27am
At low tide yesterday I went out to the waters edge to photograph the wreck, unfortunately there was a strong inshore wind, so the tide didn't go all the way out and it turned early.

I will be going out again today (21st Jun 2009) - weather permitting, setting of from Red Rocks at about 1615, the tide is supposed to turn at 1700. If anybody wants to join up, meet me on the micro-hilbre that is on the way to the wreck about 200yds off shore. Look for the camera in hand, probably two of use.

If anybody goes out on these sands - please check the tide information - the gullies fill very quickly and have fast flowing currents. There is also sinking sand in places which isn't normally a problem but you have to be on your alert.

The next lowest tide point is the 25th so probably will try to get out there again when we should get quite a bit closer.

Description: Pitiful attempt at a picture of the wreck
Attached picture IMG_1451.JPG

Description: Looking back at Red Rocks
Attached picture IMG_1449.JPG
Posted By: kimpri Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st Jun 2009 11:55am
DD a very low tide is your best bet not only you get near to wreck the Hoyle bank doesn't get covered by the tide if you get stuck play safe and give your self plenty of time..
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st Jun 2009 5:47pm
if this is any help DD here is the tide timetable below

Click Here
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st Jun 2009 9:47pm
DD - how did you get on?

Not like this I hope -

Description: Copyright - Peter Craine (geograph)
Attached picture Rescue from Hilbre walk.jpg
Posted By: MGCraig Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 21st Jun 2009 11:07pm
the first of your pics looks like theres a giant shark just to the left raftl raftl

No-one have a small boat the could sail out to have a closer look in ?
Posted By: Pea70 Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 22nd Jun 2009 12:14pm
Thanks for posting this. I never knew it was there.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 22nd Jun 2009 3:43pm
LOL - Right, the tide yesterday didn't go out any further than the day before, I will put a pictures up later, as we were there we went along to Hilbre Island, Middle Eye and then back to Hoylake. It was raining with a medium inshore wind which didn't help the tide or photography.

Both the route along the Sealine to Hilbre Island and the route from middle eye to Hoylake can only be attempted at low tides and are not recommended at all - an additional hazard are numerous patches of sinking sand.

My next attempt will be on the 25th, setting off from Red Rocks at about 6:30 pm for low tide supposedly at about 7:15 (ideally the morning tide is lower and less wind but work gets in the way), I already have some interest, anyone wanting to come along then please PM me and I will swap phone numbers and details.

Even with lower tides I don't think I can get close enough to get a good picture with my camera equipment (X3 7 Megapixel Still, X30 1.3 Megapixel Video). However I will keep trying, if the wind isn't inshore it will get us nearer.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to photograph, just the boilers and something else sticking out ...

Description: Hoylake Wreck
Attached picture DeeNestos-s.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 22nd Jun 2009 9:13pm
25th I will be okay to do ifyou want dd; and yeah Chewy, I was there with Scott, we got quite near, and the tide was still going out, but it got too cold as soon as the sun went down and neither of us had coats (we were only originally planning to go the red rocks for Sunset photo's lol).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 12:56am
We are meeting on Thursday at Red Rocks (bottom of Stanley Road, Hoylake) at 6:30 pm for anyone that wants to join.

You will get muddy (stinky, sticky muddy), as well as wet - there are pockets of sinking sand which usually sink 4 to 6 inches deep and underneath the top sand is this horrible black gunge.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 3:00am
22nd August will be the best date this year to try, but nowhere near as good as March 2nd next year!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 6:23am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
LOL - Right, the tide yesterday didn't go out any further than the day before, I will put a pictures up later, as we were there we went along to Hilbre Island, Middle Eye and then back to Hoylake. It was raining with a medium inshore wind which didn't help the tide or photography.

Both the route along the Sealine to Hilbre Island and the route from middle eye to Hoylake can only be attempted at low tides and are not recommended at all - an additional hazard are numerous patches of sinking sand.

My next attempt will be on the 25th, setting off from Red Rocks at about 6:30 pm for low tide supposedly at about 7:15 (ideally the morning tide is lower and less wind but work gets in the way), I already have some interest, anyone wanting to come along then please PM me and I will swap phone numbers and details.

Even with lower tides I don't think I can get close enough to get a good picture with my camera equipment (X3 7 Megapixel Still, X30 1.3 Megapixel Video). However I will keep trying, if the wind isn't inshore it will get us nearer.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to photograph, just the boilers and something else sticking out ...

Did you go out on a boat to get that photo am there now n cnt get out like that even with me zoom at 600mm/21.7x and then zoomin into the photo some more on preview! Lol.

frown
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 11:13am
DD black gunge = crude oil.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 3:24pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
DD black gunge = crude oil.
I thought that as well, but no it is just a load of organisms having a field day - the result is similar to oil but the smell is awful!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 3:27pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Did you go out on a boat to get that photo am there now n cnt get out like that even with me zoom at 600mm/21.7x and then zoomin into the photo some more on preview! Lol.
frown

As I said above, its unlikely that you can get far enough out to get a decent pic - but it is quite nice out there so far from the shore - just doing it for a bit of fun really ...... but one day the wind mught be offshore wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 4:35pm
The tide was still on its way out when I left (8ish), it may have gone quite a bit further out, I had been there since 06:30 and got a bi bored and a bit cold, but I think ya gonna need some serious telephoto lenses to get any decent photo's of it from the shoreline.

The closer you get to it, the further away you realise it is!

Shame!

And I think, having tried on a 1m tide, that anyone who is thinking we might get there one day, im gonna have to dash your hopes, bar a freak tide retraction, you've got no chance, unless...

a. you can get access to a boat;
b. your names Eric;
c. you names Moses.

frown
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 4:39pm
Captain Eric Moses at your service sir LOL
Posted By: kimpri Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 7:35pm
go down to the slip way wiral contry park boat yard and ask the local fishermen to take some pictures of the wreck (its worth a try)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 11:08pm
There was an offshore wind tonight and the tide went out further than previously - what I need now is a force ten offshore wind - that doesn't blow me out to sea.

The objective wasn't to get photographs of the wreck (the one earlier in the thread is near perfect) - it was just a bit of fun to try and take photographs of the weck. I was hoping a bit of competition would start up - come on Matty, show us your pictures - photochoppin/enhancement fully allowed.

The circular walk - hoylake - wreck shore - Hilbre - middle eye - hoylake is really good walk - see different things each time. BUT PLEASE CHECK TIDES AND BEWARE OF SINKING SANDS.
Posted By: Brocks Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 11:23pm
Would a 400mm lens be of use??
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 11:40pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The circular walk - hoylake - wreck shore - Hilbre - middle eye - hoylake is really good walk - see different things each time. BUT PLEASE CHECK TIDES AND BEWARE OF SINKING SANDS.

i can agree to this it was an amazin walk apart from the knee deep in slugde gunk and mud but yet still good fun.

Originally Posted by Brocks

im sure we could find a use raftl
Posted By: Brocks Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 25th Jun 2009 11:45pm
Originally Posted by Mondeo_Scott

Originally Posted by Brocks

im sure we could find a use raftl

In theory the 400mm on the cropped body makes it 640mm. When I have the pennies to buy the teleconverter I want it'll be 896mm.

Oh and the lens will be quite good too doh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 28th Jun 2009 1:02pm
I was shooting at between 300 and 600mm and its useless, even cropping the image (12.3mp RAW) brings up very little detail.

900mm might be getting somwhere mate if your interested. Id get myself onto ebay for a 900mm lens but im not all that interested in photographing it, wanted to get to it really, or at least try lol. Its just too far away to be honest, the nearer you ge to it, the further away it seems, I think it's as you realise how far away it actually is, from the shoreline it hard to grasp it until you are right out as far as the tide goes, and then its still miles away.

frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 4th Jul 2009 10:40am
Originally Posted by kimpri1
go down to the slip way wiral contry park boat yard and ask the local fishermen to take some pictures of the wreck (its worth a try)
i reckon thats good idea. Or the lifeboat men on training exercise.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 26th Jul 2009 11:44am
Don't suppose anyone went out today did they? There was an immensely low tide (0.7m) this morning.

Still looking to go out on the 22nd August though, 0.4m tide is still confirmed. Will be the lowest tide of 2009.

smile
Posted By: Sallybear Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 19th Mar 2011 6:39pm
Saw a bit more of this today, it was a low tide, and I don't have a fancy camera, but it seemed that there was more on show than previously, and also the sand seemed to go all the way out, sure it's not the case, but wouldn't mind a look.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 19th Mar 2011 7:15pm
Originally Posted by Sallybear
Saw a bit more of this today, it was a low tide, and I don't have a fancy camera, but it seemed that there was more on show than previously, and also the sand seemed to go all the way out, sure it's not the case, but wouldn't mind a look.

[Linked Image]
Thats a Great pic sally clap
Posted By: Sallybear Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 19th Mar 2011 9:27pm
Cheers, it's only a point and shoot, but we were on Hilbre, it was an extremely low tide, and I took this a little while before low tide, there was even more on view. Need a decent camera so I can get better shors.
Posted By: sindolf Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 6th Sep 2011 6:01pm
some good pics on www.flickr.com, search for Nestos and Hoylake.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 17th Sep 2011 12:12pm
If you look very closely at the third picture down, you will see my Dad clinging to the top flat bit. He quite often gets wrecked off Hoylake!!
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 17th Sep 2011 5:26pm
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
If you look very closely at the third picture down, you will see my Dad clinging to the top flat bit. He quite often gets wrecked off Hoylake!!

Does your Dad get "Plastered"?
Posted By: parkgater Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 17th Sep 2011 5:57pm
God,that wreck has been there since before most of us were born,go on Tatey dust down the gear and take him down.
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 18th Sep 2011 6:33am
Originally Posted by parkgater
God,that wreck has been there since before most of us were born,go on Tatey dust down the gear and take him down.

I have a feeling that the visibility might be a bit poor there & also the "Hoylake Pirates" will have removed any scrap of value, so I will just stay in The Plasterers!!
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 18th Sep 2011 9:01am
Haha!! Nice pub that. Useless quiz team though!! :-)
Posted By: thehound Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 7th Dec 2011 1:57pm
Just reading through the thread. Some good info. I did not even know there was a ship wreak there.

I did a quick search on the ship, came up with this.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?67306

Posted By: garyevans Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 28th Aug 2018 3:49pm
How do I view pictures posted in a post 21st May 2008 by Colgo
Posted By: Gibbo Re: The Wreck off Hoylake - 29th Aug 2018 9:24am
Originally Posted by garyevans
How do I view pictures posted in a post 21st May 2008 by Colgo

To View Attachments:

You must be registered user With an Active User Plus Account.

You can find some pictures on Google:

http://www.hoylakejunction.com/photo-hoylake-shipwreck

Type "arabian prince shipwreck hoylake"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral