Forums
Posted By: Dava2479 HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th May 2008 11:44am
Found this article on HMS Birkenhead,I think is a great bit of history in relation to Lairds and Birkenhead.

Source Click Me
Posted By: jonno40 Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th May 2008 1:38pm
good stuff just what we need thumbsup
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th May 2008 2:10pm
Apparently "The Birkenhead Drill" is a time honoured tradition and is still honoured by the Royal Navy.
Posted By: Sludge Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th May 2008 5:11pm
Nice piece mate ,things like that do make you proud to be a Birkenhead lad ,

Career (Great Britain)
Name: HMS Vulcan
Namesake: Birkenhead
Builder: John Laird shipyard, Birkenhead
Commissioned: 1845
Renamed: HMS Birkenhead, 1845
Reclassified: Troopship, 1845[1]
Fate: Wrecked, 26 February 1852 at Gansbaai
General characteristics
Class and type: Frigate
Displacement: 1918 tons (2000 tons loaded[1])
Length: 210 feet (64 m)[1]
Beam: 37 feet 6 inches (11 m)[1]
Draught: 15 feet 9 inches (5 m)[1]
Propulsion: Sail, plus two steam engines generating a total of 378 hp[1] driving two 6 metres (20 ft) diameter paddle wheels.
Sail plan: Brig, later barquentine
Speed: 10 knots[1]
Complement: 125
Notes: Iron hull; Renamed HMS Birkenhead

Attached picture 300px-Wreck_of_the_Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th May 2008 11:23pm
Iv got the full account given by the sailors on aboard and witnesses who picked up stragglers. Iv also got the news paper from the day it happened with the story. I will post it on here and my website when i get a bit of spare time.
Posted By: Sludge Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 20th May 2008 9:09am
Be good to see that Doc, happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 20th May 2008 3:49pm
Originally Posted by Sludge
Be good to see that Doc, happy

withthat
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 20th May 2008 10:55pm
cant figure out how you post a picture ?
Its just says enter a URL but the pic is a file on my pc not online ????

Lil help anyone ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 20th May 2008 11:02pm
Click me
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 20th May 2008 11:06pm
This is the Birkenhead Memorial in South Africa. It was positioned right infront of where the ship sank. If you look directly ahead out to see that is where she went down.

Attached picture stone.jpg
Posted By: Sludge Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 21st May 2008 9:30am
Nice one that Doc , are they your photos , any shots of the memorial itself be interested to see whats written on it happy
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 21st May 2008 4:12pm
Shazam !

Attached picture pl;aque.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: HMS Birkenhead (The Birkenhead Drill) - 19th Mar 2009 9:40am
[Linked Image]

I saw this yesterday on my travels (its hanging in Williamson Art Gallery) - its an impressive piece - really evokes the storminess and the panic of the moment. Nice.

I'm surprised what they have buried in Willaimson - I spotted a study of a bird by Hokusai! (bloke who did this picture)
[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral