Forums
Posted By: Sludge Cammel Laird Motor ? - 4th May 2008 8:50am
Hi Guys

Was out on a mooch last week on my bike , and came across this building next to the Priory , Birkenhead . its obviously an old lairds building, im guessing a garage of some kind any ideas

Attached picture .jpg
Attached picture copy.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 4th May 2008 7:13pm
Humm No Idea
Posted By: Wheels Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 4th May 2008 7:50pm
well spotted tho smile
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 5th May 2008 6:35pm
think i seen that, is that on same street as plumb center?
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 5th May 2008 8:09pm
Cammell Laird & ???? Motor Transport? Is that what it says? It almost looks like a sign upon a sign.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 5th May 2008 8:33pm
got the old man on it, he a wealth of lairds knowledge so as soon as.....
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 7th May 2008 7:24pm
the lairds garages were in the main yard near to the polaris office block when he worked there late sixties, there is a boss there he knows can prob tell more but he on holiday, watch this space
Posted By: Sludge Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 7th May 2008 8:03pm
Nice one mate
My dad worked there during the 60,s also on the polaris ,the whole area nowadays , is a lot different to what it was then. im sure after talking to to an old rigger friend of mine who had 40 odd years in , i recall him saying around the prory area was lairds repair yard , i remember the old dry docks at monks ferry i think 2, 3 dock now filled in and flats,and buisness now located there , no 4 dock still there as its a heritage site , thats were the " ALABAMA" the confederate raider was built . No 5,6,7 are still being used within Cammell Lairds .

Attached picture old laird dry dock 3.jpg

Description: old dry dock entrance
Attached picture old laird dry dock 2.jpg

Description: dry dock entrance
Attached picture old laird dry dock.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 8th May 2008 8:30pm
good pics mate, lairds have use of no.4 too, i worked on the clansman there a few months ago and sailed out of there on board

Description: clansman leaving no.4 dock
Attached picture 13022008082.jpg
Posted By: Sludge Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 8th May 2008 8:43pm
wow thumbsup when i worked there , 4 dock was fenced off from 5 didnt know they are using it , thought it was a listed heritage site .
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 8th May 2008 8:54pm
they put a gate through accessed from the stern end of the starboard side of no.5, all owned indirectly by peel holdings including mdhc and part of new lairds
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 8th May 2008 9:25pm
Great pictures.

Never knew or even noticed them flats are built on old dry docks.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 9th May 2008 9:37am
Originally Posted by Sludge

My dad worked there during the 60,s also on the polaris

My dad worked on the Polaris too. He was a liner-off. I've still got his Polaris tie.

Attached picture Polaris.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 9th May 2008 8:48pm
i like this, all sorts of history comes to the surface, what a tie to have, nice one mate
Posted By: Sludge Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 13th May 2008 7:47pm
heres a map of lairds area circa mid 1950,s showing the dry docks, the filled in docks are situated north of no 5 dock on the map, no 4 dock is still in operation , 3,2,1 are filled in .if you look further north you will see the positions of further dry docks owned by Clovers ship repairs, near woodside .which are also filled in.

Attached picture birkenhead_monks_ferry_map.gif
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 13th May 2008 11:35pm
Nice one for posting that map fella!

smile
Posted By: clarus_audio Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 23rd May 2008 9:32pm
In relation to the original Cammel Laird Motor ? post. As far as i am aware the cammel laird motor workshops is now owned by J H Elsby, an electrical wholesaler, the pits are in the back of the warehouse (filled in unfortunately).
Posted By: hoseman Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 26th Jul 2009 8:37pm
Shed some light on an old post.
This building is owned by my mate, John Kelly, been in there loads of times, he ownes a couple of plots on the Priory, sadly NOT The Priory itself!!!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Cammel Laird Motor ? - 27th Jul 2009 9:49pm
Correction, he ownes the building joined onto this, but still ownes half the Priory estate!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral