Forums
Posted By: chriskay Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 1:55pm
OK, here's a little puzzle for you; also a short science lesson!

When I was a kid, my Grandfather used to work for the local electricity board at the place in the picture. Later, When he became unwell, his bosses gave him the job of travelling round the sub-stations, looking after the gardens. I sometimes went with him. The inside of those sub-stations scared the s**t out of me. Here's a pic. of one in Noctorum, at the junction of Noctorum Rd. & West Rd.
Now for the science: in those days (1940's) the power supply to the houses was DC. You can only transmit DC just over a mile before losses in the cable make it useless, so power was generated in AC & sent at high voltage (so few losses) to the many sub-stations, where it was reduced in voltage with transformers & then fed into mercury vapour rectifiers to change it into DC to be supplied to houses. It was those rectifiers which scared me; about 4 Ft. tall, a huge glass bulb with mercury in & glowing a terrible purple with the mercury vapour & emitting a loud humming. There's still some of these sub-stations around. You can see the remains of one at the top of Singleton Ave. & the one in Noctorum looks the same as it ever did.
It was because our power supply was DC that I could never have a Hornby Dublo electric train set. I guess the power supply was about 200 Volts & you couldn't use a transformer to reduce it.
BTW, in those days, there was nothing like MANWEB; the National Grid was in its infancy & each town generated its own electricity supply. The power station pictured was owned by Birkenhead Council, which is why it has the town crest over it.
Does anyone know where it is?

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Electric.jpg
Attached picture substation.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 1:58pm
Some great info there; I think you have mentioned this once before, maybe at a meet.

I dunno where the power station is though, maybe down Woodside way, but deffo could'nt be sure or give an exact location.

smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:04pm
Yeah, Matt; I expect you've heard my ravings before (it's a function of age) grin If nobody can say where it is, I'll tell in a week or so.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:06pm
Birkenhead - just off Exmouth St smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:07pm
Oi! I was going to take a picture of this the other day.

I used to play in there as a kid, but the other bit of the building has been knocked down now.

It's in Bentick Street wink

The back of it is on Craven Street and the bit that has now been knocked down was on Fox Street.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:10pm
Clicky

Attached picture map1.jpg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:13pm
...thats just off Exmouth St - do i get a prize party
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:15pm
you get a super soaker and a chick in a white t-shirt of your choice wink
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:17pm
party
Posted By: chriskay Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:27pm
Yes, Joe, you're right, but your pointer is a bit off. NO prizes for Exmouth St.
Now try the sunblinds one!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 2:33pm
Some detective work says its in Westbourne Road, Birkenhead wink

Do I get a prize for that one? [Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 4:42pm
I've corrected the pointer Chris smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Power supplies - 4th Apr 2008 5:44pm
lol i was there the other day at the computer supplies shop looking for a scanner and didnt even see it .good write up chris another of your little gems and well discovered joe thumbsup
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Power supplies - 11th Aug 2008 2:19pm
The sub-station at the top of Singleton Avenue was open today - they wouldn't let me inside but gave me the ok to take a picture from the doorway. When I was young there wasn't even a roof on this building. This is just one room in the middle of the building.

Description: Inside Singleton Avenue Sub-Station
Attached picture SubStation.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Power supplies - 11th Aug 2008 3:23pm
Great picture ! Thanks for that. Yes, it's changed a bit over the years !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral