Forums
Posted By: philymop Sadie's Shop Seacombe - 28th Mar 2008 12:35am
does anyone remember sadie's shop in seacombe? it was near guinea gap baths and by the number 2 bus stop. it used to sell American Cream Soda sherbet! The owners were called Sadie and Dick Power.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Sadie's Shop Seacombe - 28th Mar 2008 12:13pm
Yes, remember it well in the mid/ late 1950s. I always had a baths pass so often went on my bike to Guinea Gap even before school in the morning. Calling at the shop after was part of the routine.

Best remembered is buying a lump of Wet Nellie - Nelson Cake if you want the posh title. This was a layer of pastry spread with jam then covered with pieces of left over cake and biscuit and soaked in a sort of custard made with condensed milk. Sometimes it had bits of dried fruit. Sweet and yummy - just what a schoolboy needed after an early swim.

Snod
Posted By: philymop Re: Sadie's Shop Seacombe - 28th Mar 2008 1:13pm
Can't say I remember the cake but there were loads of sweets! It was a general store but lots of people think it was just a sweet shop. Sherbet, dib dabs, squirral lips, choc stix and barley sugar twists, weekend chocolates. I could go on and on. Mass packs of Haribo just aren't the same.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Sadie's Shop Seacombe - 28th Mar 2008 1:23pm
Philymop

Look at the dates I quoted - mid to late 1950s. Sweet rationing only ended in 1953 and there were not many varieties by say 1955 - and Wet Nellies were cheap, sweet and filling

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral