Any Info ?
Pictures of old?
Stories?
Posted By: jonah Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 12:32pm
how old do you want the info to be ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 12:58pm
Anything, this is how topics begin smile
Posted By: jonah Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 2:50pm
threshers on the corner of sandy lane used to be car showrooms, the last of which was a diahatsu in the mid 80's
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 4:24pm
Originally Posted by WADDI
the inlaws live on St Georges, which I believe was Back Lane, I lived with them for a few years after getting married, we're in our own place now, still in the village tho.

Would love to pick your brains about a few wallasey village related history things.

I started this thread on behalf of waddi wink

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 4:57pm
Going to the other extreme the first photo below is of a painting by JH Robinson showing the junction of Wallasey Village and Leasowe Road (off to the left) and looking west towards the sea.

The second photo is of a painting also by Robinson showing a snow scene at the top of Leasowe Road viewed from about outside the current No 8 Leasowe Road and looking North East towards Wallasey Village (more or less where the Post Office used to be). St Hillary church is clearly visible (but no second tower!)

I have no idea when Robinson would have done those paintings and how much "artistic licence" is involved. I have postcards showing the same scene in about 1905 - and it is VERY different. I will guess the painting depicts the scene around 30- 40 years earlier. Whether that is too early for Robinson I do not know. Certainly he was painting at 1879 because I have a photo of another of his paintings with that date.

Snod

Description: Wallasey Village 19th Century (1870??). Looking west and current Leasowe Rd to the left
Attached picture Village_RBT_westS001.jpg

Description: Wallasey Village 19th Century (1870??). Looking North East from inside top of current Leasowe Rd towards the village
Attached picture Village_RBT_eastoo001.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 24th Mar 2008 11:18pm
Wow i wouldn't have believed that wink

Thanks for sharing wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 12:09am
Well I married into Wallasey village.
By that I mean My wife grew up in the village, her dad and his siblings grew up in the area after moving from new brighton.

After getting married we lived with her parents for 2years but have recently bought out own place in wallasey Village.

There little things that bug me, i.e:
which school does School lane relate to?
What where the gates on the corner of Folly Lane and Wallasey village for?
Where was liscard & Poulton rail station?

its also the little things like the car showroom that Jonah mentions. this is the unwritten history that we need to talk about.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 12:32am
When the the liscard & poulton Railway station was there, what was where the toyota showroom is now?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 1:14pm
WADDI

The gates near Folly Lane were the entrance to Buxton House, the building of which was situated more or less where the flats are now ie to the left when you go through the gates. My other info about Buxton House at at my mum's house - I will get it later and post. I have already taken some "now" photos. I can tell lots of tales about playing in trhe derilict Buxton House and the abandoned gardens.

The school was PROBABLY St Georges because previously that road was called Back Lane. I will check with mum this afternoon or tomorrow. I went to St Georges school - and you can even find my piccy on their website

http://www.st-georges-school.co.uk/photo_4.html

Snod

Snod

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 4:50pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
WADDI

The gates near Folly Lane were the entrance to Buxton House, the building of which was situated more or less where the flats are now ie to the left when you go through the gates. My other info about Buxton House at at my mum's house - I will get it later and post. I have already taken some "now" photos. I can tell lots of tales about playing in trhe derilict Buxton House and the abandoned gardens.

The school was PROBABLY St Georges because previously that road was called Back Lane. I will check with mum this afternoon or tomorrow. I went to St Georges school - and you can even find my piccy on their website

http://www.st-georges-school.co.uk/photo_4.html

Snod

Right - I have that bit about School Lane COMPLETELY wrong. A senior moment they call it. I was referring to St Georges Road that used to be called Back Lane

School Lane runs from Wallasey Village by the Cheshire Cheese pub down alongside Mosslands School to about the small railway bridge. Originally there was another pub on the opposite side of the road from the Cheshire Cheese and about on the corner of School Lane. It was called the Ring O Bells. On the other corner of School Lane was a proper half timbered cottage that was demolished in about 1920 when the widened/ straightened the road.

If you went down School Lane from that junction with Wallasey Village the school was on the right hand side - just about where the first of some bungalows are now.

I have a fair number of pics from around that area (and I took some "now" pics yesterday) so I will do a picture post as soon as I can.

Snod (still searching for the Buxton House details - they were not where I expected)
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 8:26pm
were did you find them pics
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 25th Mar 2008 9:05pm
Originally Posted by nissan_kyle
were did you find them pics

I did not find them - I took them

Many years ago ie like in about the mid/ late 1960s I visited a lot of the old folks around the village, chatted with them and especially copied any old photos they had - - or any paintings. Being from a well known village family hel;ped a lot with introductions. These days you would carry a laptop/ portable scanner for old pics but unheard of then of course so I used to have camera/ tripod and a couple of battery lights to copy documents and used camera + reflector flach for paintings, Unfortunately all was in monochrome. I did all my own film processing and never advanced to colour

Snod
Posted By: Waddi Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd Apr 2008 10:42pm
anyone know the exact location of the cottage hopital when it was on Back lane (st georges), it was later moved to claremount.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd Apr 2008 10:49pm
Ive always wanted to know what this rock is for near the Cheshire Cheese..

Click here

Its around under those trees on breck road.. smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 3rd Apr 2008 7:56am
Lee

I THINK you mean the "Granny Rock" ie a big rock on the Breck - just behind the old Grammar School building which is a bit further down the road from The Ship

The Breck area was a quarry used to obtain the stone used as the base for building Leasowe Road. The suggestion is that the Granny Rock was originally used as a mount for a lifting crane used in the quarry operations - but when those finished the rock had become such a feature that it was left untouched.

I have climbed up to the top many times. The main "face" to climb was that facing east - that was easy. MUCH more difficuly was the south face. There is (or at least was - have not looked for ages) a sort of shallow cut out on the south face. We called it Granny's chair. It was only the very agile that could get to sit in that cut out.

Snod

Description: Brack Road, Wallasey - Ship in (top), Old Grammar School cottage and the Granny Rock on teh Breck
Attached picture SNAG-170.jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Wallasey Village - 3rd Apr 2008 10:00am
Ahh Granny's rock ,the memories are flooding back.I used to play in the breck when i was a nipper and have actually climbed Granny's rock and fell off it numerous times.we were up there the other week when i was showing my wife places from my past,we met a lovely lady walking her dog and from what she said and by the amount of bottles and beer cans lying about it is now the local scallies drinking den(shame).there are some amazing views out across leasowe and moreton from up there.Ahh the memories
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 3rd Apr 2008 11:18am
Granny Rock

Maybe a topic of its own? And some pictures?
Never heard of it frown
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 3rd Apr 2008 11:43am
I know what you mean about the litter/ mess up there. I saw it when I went a week or so ago to try to do a modern photo of the old School House to comparee with my postcard pic. A good "communitry service order" for some scallys would be to have to clean that place spotless. OK, off my soapbox

The breck with the Granny Rock was always called the "Boys Breck" by us local kids, to distinguish it from the "Girls Breck" that was is the playing area between Church Hill and St Hillary Drive, neither of which are often frequented roads. Many people do not even know that area exists because it is not visible from the main road - being above the high ivy-covered wall to your left as you drive up St Hillary Brow towards the roundabout for a left turn to Liscard

The views from the Girl's Breck are actually better than some from the Boy's Breck because the view is far less obstructed by trees etc. As an example the following is a print from a painting (Robinson again) done in 1878. The buildings at the front are mostly in the village itself ie The Cheshire Cheese, The Ring O Bells and the panel timbered building that used to stand more or less where the middle of the Wallsey Village Raod is now. Unfortunately that building "went" when the road was widened and straightened. I have other pics and painings of it. The other buildings are then in School Lane. A bit in the distance is a row of hosues - The Twenty Row of houses where people working at the brickworks would live. Leasowe Lighthouse can be seen in the distance.

I will be doing a then and now picture pair for this

Snod

Description: Location of "Girl's" Breck
Attached picture SNAG-171.jpg

Description: View from Girl's Breck in 1878 (Photo of painting by WH Robinson)
Attached picture ViewSouthS.jpg
Posted By: dave_g Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 3:47am
jus t think "THE ROCK" used to be railway sidings
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 9:00am
Wow How its Changed.
I love the idea of wallasey village being as it is in the
black and white picture.

How things change?
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 9:38pm
Folly Lane was a LOT longer than it currently is as well. It used to run all the way from where it is now, across the main road and on all the way to the top of the hill. It changed dramatically when the trams were brought in, pretty much to how it is now as Broadway but you'll notice one thing that's going to change in the next few days by the look of it. Where the bend begins as you descend and you end up on St. George's Rd you'll see a little cut-off at the end of the cemetary. This was formerly a row of cottages demolished in the 1910's I believe and it was called Folly's Gut; at the end was a set of steps leading up to the graveyard. If you look now a set of gates have been put up but you can still see the divides of the houses where the brickwork still exists, it looks like this will all be demolished soon so I'd recommend seeing it soon before it vanishes.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 9:56pm
Sounds interesting, Waddi get your camera out! smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 10:05pm
The Twenty Row of houses where people working at the brickworks would live. Leasowe Lighthouse can be seen in the distance.

Would this be where the pub on leasowe road got its name?
(The twenty row) (Now destroyed)
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Apr 2008 10:56pm
hmm, what else? I've gleaned most of my info from little local books I've found. Well I presume most people know about the housing that was where St Mary's College stands now and the Traveller's Rest pub that was there. The brewery that was a bit down Leasowe Road. Do any pictures exist of the original Wallasey Village station building? It was destroyed in the war and now I've seen Birkenhead Park's one it's the only one I'm missing. I'm a geek for the disused stations and lines, local ones particularly!

Wasn't that car salesroom also a gigantic bicycle shop at one point too? That's about as far back as my memory extends, I'm only a young-un!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 8:13am
BBStuey: I didn't realise that the original Wallasey Village station was blatted during the war. I always understood that when the line was electrified in 1937/8 the station was rebuilt/modernised in the typical 1930's style and is more or less how it is today.

I guess my knowledge may be lacking here !

Presume you've seen the "Disused Stations" sections in Sub.Brit.?
Very good !
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:11am
Originally Posted by Totopop
The Twenty Row of houses where people working at the brickworks would live. Leasowe Lighthouse can be seen in the distance.

Would this be where the pub on leasowe road got its name?
(The twenty row) (Now destroyed)

Correct. Sad the pub went (even though I am a non-drinking man) because it held memories for me. My Grandad used to take me a Sunday walk down to the shore, down across the sandhills then he would ho in the Twenty Row for refreshment and I would sit on the step with a bottle of pop.

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:24am
Originally Posted by BigBadStuey
hmm, what else? I've gleaned most of my info from little local books I've found. Well I presume most people know about the housing that was where St Mary's College stands now and the Traveller's Rest pub that was there. The brewery that was a bit down Leasowe Road. Do any pictures exist of the original Wallasey Village station building? It was destroyed in the war and now I've seen Birkenhead Park's one it's the only one I'm missing. I'm a geek for the disused stations and lines, local ones particularly!

Wasn't that car salesroom also a gigantic bicycle shop at one point too? That's about as far back as my memory extends, I'm only a young-un!

The travellers Rest did stand where St Mary's College is now - as did many old cottages etc. I am trying to pull together as many photos and paintings of the area as I can, together with a map showing the locations. A long term project. The following is an often shown pic of the Travellers Rest. I took my own photos before the place was demolished - all I have to do is find them

Snod

Description: Traveller's Rest, Wallasey Village in 1930s
Attached picture sVillageTravRest1930s.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:28am
Great Pictures happy
Keep up the good work?

What do you suppose the man in the street is dragging
behind him? A Chicken ??
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:29am
BBS

While I am not a railways and lines fan I did find some pictorial/ historical interest when they widened the railway bridge over Leasowe Rd. The following are photos I took at the time

Snod

Description: Leasowe Bridge 1
Attached picture sLeasoweBridge001.jpg

Description: Leasowe Bridge
Attached picture sLeasoweBridge.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:38am
Folly Lane was a LOT longer than it currently is as well. It used to run all the way from where it is now, across the main road and on all the way to the top of the hill. It changed dramatically when the trams were brought in, pretty much to how it is now as Broadway but you'll notice one thing that's going to change in the next few days by the look of it. Where the bend begins as you descend and you end up on St. George's Rd you'll see a little cut-off at the end of the cemetary. This was formerly a row of cottages demolished in the 1910's I believe and it was called Folly's Gut; at the end was a set of steps leading up to the graveyard. If you look now a set of gates have been put up but you can still see the divides of the houses where the brickwork still exists, it looks like this will all be demolished soon so I'd recommend seeing it soon before it vanishes.

BBS

I saw the "damage" to the church wall a week ago and posted a pic (again below). Subsequently I saw a photo of the upper part of Folly Lane with trams - and showing the cottages more or less where they are now excavating (new gates fitted to the opening in the last day or so). When you look inside the excavation area you can clearly see the remains of some of the old cottage walls

Snod

Description: "excavation" in the church wall, walalsey - April 08
Attached picture Pict2293s.jpg

Description: Broadway/ Folly showing old cottages demolished 1913
Attached picture sVillageFollytopPre1913.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 10:56am
Amazing, your really brining Wallasey village alive.

Great pictures smile
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 12:07pm
Really good photos, I liked those! I don't have many that aren't in things like Yesterday's Wirral or the Railway Stations of Wirral one so there's not a whole lot I can add, I did see that picture on another thread but I'd already replied here.

Still, no more Black Horse eh? It's now Sheridans. Ooh la-de-da.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 6th Apr 2008 3:46pm
Ah the old Black Horse. Well not really the OLD Black Horse - that was a much older building, as shown below. Interestingly the two guys at the doorway are Ned Hughes (my grandfather) and Billy Cross. We lived in Stonehouse Road, almost opposite the Black Horse.

If you look carefully at the building you will see that one half has a different architecture than the otehr ie different design of chimney and window. That says one part was probably very much older and then an addition was made at a later date

Snod

Description: Old Black Horse, Wallasey Village
Attached picture Blackhorse1s.jpg
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Wallasey Village - 8th Apr 2008 5:26pm
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/RegisterEntry.asp?appnum=20065638&wanted=Register
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/plansthumbs.asp?appnum=20065638&wanted=Plans

That's what's going to be happening to the Folly Gut cottages by the way, the next door neighbour wanted more room.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 8th Apr 2008 6:16pm
Well found BBS. I still think it would be well worth having a proper look around the part demolished site - and keeping an eye on (photographing) what may be uncovered while work is in progress.

Incidentally, when I showed my mum pictures of the cottages on the site (above) she immediately said that she remembered the higher end of the cottages away from the road had been used as an infants school for St Georges. She cannot have remembered that from observation because the cottages were demolished in 1913 and mum was born in 1918 - so probably the memorty was passed on as "village tales" - remembering the village was a LOT smaller in those days.

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: Wallasey Village - 9th Apr 2008 11:55am
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/RegisterEntry.asp?appnum=20065638&wanted=Register

That's what's going to be happening to the Folly Gut cottages by the way, the next door neighbour wanted more room.
Well at the least you have pictures from Now before the changes smile

History in the making smile
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Wallasey Village - 12th May 2008 7:49pm
have added this before, this is the site of the old liscard and poulton station down the years

Description: site of station
Attached picture liscard_poulton2.jpg
Attached picture liscard_poulton3.jpg
Attached picture liscard_poulton_old.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Village - 12th May 2008 10:31pm
awesome, you got any more old pics rent?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wallasey Village - 13th May 2008 1:01am
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/l/liscard_and_poulton/index.shtml

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Village - 13th May 2008 6:12am
cheers wink
Posted By: anniec Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd May 2009 10:16am
Hi
I am new to this site and love it already.

Does anyone have any info or photos of Big Yard in Wallasey Village?

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd May 2009 12:23pm
What is/was it may we ask?

smile

Bit more info would help us smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd May 2009 1:35pm
BIG YARD ?????
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd May 2009 1:44pm
Off the top of my head... 'Big Yard' was farm land with pigs on it and I think it was in the area of Loretto Road.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 2nd May 2009 1:46pm
..and to confirm

Childhood in the village
I lived in Lycett Road from 1955 to 1981, what a change! Mostly the quietness at night, no cars or buses, no people. The street lights went out at midnight. The building on the right was Woods, something to do with cars, behind that was waste land till "Grower" Jones, a kind of home grown veggie shop, then nothing till Big Yard with its pig farm, a builders called H.H.Woods, then about two old cottages, then Hoyland and Garners and an old Anderson shelter, then a big house on the corner of Sandy Lane. Back to the roundabout and on the other side was a block of new shops, I think Timpsons was first, then Taskers, then a paint shop, opened by "Len Fairclough", can't remember the next two but then there was Jack and Jills, then an entry, then Macaneenys? Dewhursts, R and A wool shop, Johnny Grahame's, Thomas's then Berties, then Beechwood Ave, Rushtons, Howards, Quails and Joynsons. The rest was Sparks market gardens till the Esso station then The Farmers Arms, then the Phoenix. I may have some things wrong here so put me right by all means. I remember Saturdays lasting forever, standing outside the shop on the corner of Perrin Road, window shopping for toys, Zeta planes from Clarks (Tony's) and fish and chips from "fish Charlies chips", Ladybird school clothes from Fayes.. Matchbox toys from the Railway shop on Leasowe Road and the best steak pies on earth from Goodes. After the M53 came along it all seemed to change, it got busier and more built up and less.....COUNTRYFIED!! oo arr!!

Taken from

http://www.francisfrith.co.uk/wallasey/photos/docks-c1965_W164086/
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Village - 29th Sep 2009 6:28am
Originally Posted by jonah
threshers on the corner of sandy lane used to be car showrooms, the last of which was a diahatsu in the mid 80's

Used to be a grocers when I was a lad!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Village - 29th Sep 2009 6:38am
Stone cottages on corner of Sandy Lane & Wallasey Village where a George Chatterton used to live. Next door, heading to Leasowe Rd was Strongs dairy. Next door, a bombed site with a "Anderson" shelter where we used to play, till the miserable old bat Mrs Povall who owned the sweet shop opposite used to take our bikes.
Ronnie Wood had a bike shop the "Cosmo" garage which became the Esso Station later. The bombed out cinema which became the Phoenix. The narrow section in the middle with a butchers shop & opposite was Yorks store where my gran used to buy her glass syphons of "Schwepps" soda water. It were all fields when I were a lad!!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 7th May 2010 6:56pm

Wow - I remember "The Bungalow" very well - when I was a kid, it was the home of the Roberts family. Used to go there w/ my elder brother to see his pal Eddie. The Dad of the family was Tom Roberts, he owned the Butchers, close to the Leasowe Rd reoundabout. The son (Eddie) used to race motorbikes, I remember him racing on the Prom few years on. Eddie'd been riding motorbikes almost all his life, I can remember him zooming up and down Broadway (testing!) on a racing Honda (I think it was - with no silencers!) - you could get away with stuff like that back then! Eddie also raced in the Isle of Man (TT) a few times. Ahhh the memories. The Bungalow had a super big garage around the back, I recall Tom Roberts had a "Maigret'-style Citroen, very unusual car, even then, with its dash-mounted gearshift and pump up and down 'air' suspension...!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 7th May 2010 7:07pm
CV

See your PMs

Snod
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 7th May 2010 7:10pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

...standing outside the shop on the corner of Perrin Road.

The sweet shop on the corner of Perrin Road was known as "Lucy's"... (about where the Drs is now but it jutted out further into the Village, I think?) and I also remember Williams' (grocers) at the far end of that block (near the Black Horse). There was a ladies clothes shop and a chandlers shop too on that block I think (?) but I can't remember the names. What year was it knocked down I wonder... Also I remember Scrugham's, across the other side of the road, Booths (sweets / papers?), and the Village Greens (Len Aggott...) I also remember Fayes, McEneany's etc (great bacon there, hand sliced on a Berkel slicer! Grocers never ever were quite the same again, after Tesco's came along...) not to mention the Village Hall - I remember the dances and being a blood donor there...
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey Village - 14th May 2012 11:07am

Wallasey Village, no date

Attached picture wallvill-1.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 14th May 2012 11:51am
this is were i spent my teenage years, its not changed just no st marys on photo. max
Posted By: pablo42 Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:16am

I've just been sent these old photos of Wallasey Village from the thirties. At first I thought there was a mix up, but they are Wallasey Village.

Leasowe Road goes off to the right, notice no roundabout

Attached picture wallvillage.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:17am

Looking towards where thefirst photo was taken.The bank is still there

Attached picture wallvill5.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:18am

Further up the road. The bank is one the left and Leasowe Road is next right

Attached picture wallvill3.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:19am

Looking straight at the Black Horse. Roundabout there now

Attached picture wallvill-2.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:20am

Taken from Leasowe Road, looking toward the bank

Attached picture wallvil4.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 11:37am
Great set - thanks for posting Pablo
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 5:51pm
Yes indeed - amazing pictures. Thanks, love these I just wish I knew where you get them all from!!! Hoe there are more to come...
Pity the visibilty wasn't too good but all those coal fires'll do that, I s'pose...!!!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 22nd May 2012 5:55pm
I still remember Grant's (chandlers), Roberts' Butchers (although it was Tom Roberts in my day) and Irwin's Grocers from my childhood (born '52)
Posted By: pablo42 Wallasey Village - 10th Aug 2012 8:11am

The Cheshire Cheese in wallasey Village

Attached picture wallvillage.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wallasey Village - 13th Aug 2012 10:53pm
Painting, surely? Looks too old to be a colour photograph, am I correct?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 13th Aug 2012 11:14pm
Originally Posted by johnsonjl
Painting, surely? Looks too old to be a colour photograph, am I correct?

Many postcards were 'colourised' by simply painting in the negative.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Wallasey Village - 14th Aug 2012 2:25pm
Looks like it's been colour splashed....look at where the building joins the pavement, half the photo is still back & white.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wallasey Village - 15th Aug 2012 11:06pm
That's brilliant! Looks like an early colour photograph! Great photo btw pablo.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 16th Aug 2012 3:54pm
Interesting that the "traffic island" is still there today...! (not that they exactly had much traffic, back then...?! wink
Posted By: pablo42 Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 2:51pm

Wallasey Village 1902. Cheshire Chees still looks the same

Attached picture Wallasey_Village_1902.jpg
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 4:06pm
Bet it doesn't on the inside - have you seen it lately? Hmmmmmm...!!
Posted By: Norton Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 4:21pm
It had a 'sensible' re-furbishment inside about 18 months ago and now has even more old photographs of the pub and old Wallasey on the walls inside, including some framed original invoices from a centuary ago.

It still sells real ale - no nitro-keg or lager when this picture was taken - and is known locally for its mini beer festivals.

Any idea what the building is on the left?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 5:08pm
Could that be the sweetshop / tobacconist / paper shop (not sure which!) at the top of School Lane?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 6:58pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Could that be the sweetshop / tobacconist / paper shop (not sure which!) at the top of School Lane?

Correct. Demolished around 1930-31 so even I do not remember it. There are lots of photos & paintings of the half-timbered place, and that next door

S.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village - 5th Nov 2012 9:02pm
The black and white timbered building to the left was situated at No. 1 Wallasey Village, the cottage was once the 'Ring O Bells' and then turned into a house and a shop run by Jack Jones. The cottage was demolished by 1921 when the road was widened.
Posted By: molong Re: Wallasey Village - 19th Nov 2012 8:15pm
my great grandparents lived in no3 'Ring o Bells' cottages.My granma was 3 years old in 1901 census.Her parents were John and Sophia Nelson. She was one of 13 children. From there they moved to a house on Breck Road.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral