Forums
Posted By: Mark St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 8th Mar 2008 11:52pm
Pictures from St Oswalds Church and The Grounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Feel free to use any of the pictures for spin off topics.
Any History about St Oswalds would be appreciated.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 12:24pm
Just to add to this thread rather than to start another (although I am sure Mark will move things if more appropriate) the following is one of my old tinted postcards showing St Oswalds + a modern view from as near the same viewpoint as I can get.

- can be a hazard this "then and now" photography because the modern viewpoint is often in the middle of a busy road. I suppose getting up at 5am on a Sunday morning will be better in summer, but for the moment brrrr, no way

Snod

Description: St Oswalds ex 1904 postcard
Attached picture BidstonChurch.jpg

Description: Current view St Oswalds
Attached picture StOswalds.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 4:30pm
Nice one smile
pictures are in the right place smile

Thanks for sharing wink

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 4:43pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
can be a hazard this "then and now" photography because the modern viewpoint is often in the middle of a busy road.

withthat

Good match smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 5:23pm
what you don't get from the pictures is how quiet and idyllic this church yard is
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 10:33pm
did you know richard felix form most haunted went to that church in his documentry merseyside ghosts
Posted By: MattLFC Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 3rd Apr 2008 10:35pm
Yes thats on the video of Haunted Wirral that Lee posted in the Ghost Hunters forum.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 4th Apr 2008 7:27am
Originally Posted by Lukeo25
did you know richard felix form most haunted went to that church in his documentry merseyside ghosts

He also went to St Andrews in Bebington to look for the legless monks
Posted By: chriskay Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 4th Apr 2008 10:10am
Originally Posted by jonno39

Should have been looking in the pub.
Posted By: jonno40 Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 4th Apr 2008 10:15am
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by jonno39

Should have been looking in the pub.

raftl
Posted By: PuddingP Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 24th Aug 2011 3:13pm
My great grandfather Richard Davies (died 1849)is buried under the floor of this porch. There was a grave stone laid flat (have a picture of my in-laws standing on it at their marriage in 1936). On my last visit the porch floor had been concreted over to allow wheel chair access. I have been unable to find what they did about the grave stone underneath. Letters and emails have not given me any results.
My great grandmother stood on this grave when they decided to build the porch to stop him being exhumed, and the flat gravestone was a compromise.
Does anyone know what was done at the time the ramp was installed?
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 24th Aug 2011 3:31pm
I think there's an open day coming up in a couple of weeks (or possibly a guided tour) as part of the Heritage Open Days. If you go along it might be one of the churchwardens running it, so maybe you could ask them.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 24th Aug 2011 3:58pm
Originally Posted by geekus
I think there's an open day coming up in a couple of weeks (or possibly a guided tour) as part of the Heritage Open Days. If you go along it might be one of the churchwardens running it, so maybe you could ask them.

Thur 8th Sep 10-3pm. Pre booking required. Contact Rev. Ron Iveson 01516524852
Posted By: history Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 24th Aug 2011 3:58pm
Geekus, and others...
open day is Thursday 8th Sept 10am till 3pm..contact Rev Ron Iveson 0151 652 4852
Pre booking is required

source www.WIRRALHERITAGE.ORG.UK

Cheers M
Rudebox you got there first..damn gotta type faster
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 24th Aug 2011 4:09pm
Originally Posted by PuddingP
On my last visit the porch floor had been concreted over to allow wheel chair access. I have been unable to find what they did about the grave stone underneath. Letters and emails have not given me any results.

If you know approximately when this happened it could well be in the Churchwarden Account books, or possibly reported in the local parish magazine.
Posted By: AR_One Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 1st Sep 2011 12:14pm
Pudding, it would be a good idea to call Rev Ron anyway as he's a really nice bloke and really, really helpful so I'm sure that he'd find out any info that he could.

Someone else who knows loads about local history in Bidston is Peter Crawford (sorry don't have his number but he used to be the chair of the Bidston Preservation Trust).

On the subject of Bidston village, I'd always thought this it'd be fantastic if the Bidston Village road was closed and a new junction built on the bypass, behind the school to let traffic into Beechwood - that would return Bidston to (some) of its former tranquilty. It makes me sad to think what the village was like before the M53 and all the housing developments swallowed it up!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 1st Sep 2011 12:22pm
'thatchap' is registered on here and he is very knowledgable about St Oswalds. We spoke to him when we were there earlier in the year
Posted By: chriskay Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 1st Sep 2011 4:08pm
Originally Posted by AR_One

On the subject of Bidston village, I'd always thought this it'd be fantastic if the Bidston Village road was closed and a new junction built on the bypass, behind the school to let traffic into Beechwood - that would return Bidston to (some) of its former tranquilty. It makes me sad to think what the village was like before the M53 and all the housing developments swallowed it up!

What a good idea. I do remember Bidston before the Ford Estate (is that what's now called Beechwood?) was built, and it was a truly tranquil place.
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 1st Sep 2011 4:47pm
Prior to Bidston Village being designated Wirral's first conservation area, it was seriously suggested that one way of preserving its character and heritage would have been to turn the whole village into a 'living' museum.

The idea came from an architect named Harold Faulkner. He was the man responsible for saving Bidston Hall.

Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 5th Sep 2011 3:20pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Originally Posted by PuddingP
On my last visit the porch floor had been concreted over to allow wheel chair access. I have been unable to find what they did about the grave stone underneath. Letters and emails have not given me any results.

If you know approximately when this happened it could well be in the Churchwarden Account books, or possibly reported in the local parish magazine.

My friend is the Verger. I will email her to see if she knows.
Posted By: diablo6 Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 13th Sep 2011 6:26pm
My Grandma, Grandad, Auntie and Uncle lived in School Lane it was so peaceful. I remember the street lamps being lit and my mum and I used to go down to the train station and walk over to Wallasey to visit my mums family. Happy days.
Posted By: granny Re: St Oswalds - Bidston Village - 13th Sep 2011 7:27pm
Peter Crawford(Bidston Preservation Trust) is exceptional with his knowledge. I am sure he would love to talk with you. Just make sure you have plenty of time to give him.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral