Forums
Posted By: SoundLad Laird Street Co-Op - 23rd Feb 2008 10:24pm
Ive been doing some back tracking lately about the Co-Op store i work at to find out what it used to be. Well its been a Co-Op since it was first opened ive found apicture of what used to be there and all that i can tell is that it was just a piece of land.. But what is intresting to know is that the Air Raid shelter under the store predates the CO-OP and the shop was built on top of it apparant.. Im going to do some more digging but i believe that the Shelter might be WW1 but its a big ??? so heres a picture of proposed site....

Description: Laird Street CO-OP site before it was built
Attached picture Scan0001 (Medium).jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 23rd Feb 2008 10:56pm
Look forward to seeing what you find smile

Where did you get that picture from mate?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 23rd Feb 2008 11:02pm
One of the Yesterday's Wirral books my uncle got from the library...
Posted By: Mark Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 23rd Feb 2008 11:25pm
Never would have guessed laird Street.
Good work Lee smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:52am
Right ive finally hit the nail on its head.. The basement which i thought was older wasnt older it was built with the Co-Operative Store on Laird Street i can know finnally put to rest what the Shop used to be.. Its always been a Co-Op but the shop had its own Butchers and Deli when it was first opened so i recon the Cellar was either used for storage of Meats or Other stuff but the Cellar was adjacent to the building outside with some of the Writing on the wall's and middle Support post im adament that the Warehouse which is Built was built as an extra thing later on but the cellar steps aways was built outside cause the Shop was smaller when it was first built.. The upstairs which is know the Gladiators Gym was a Hall called Hollybank Hall it was used for Weddings and other Partys this was converted to a Nursery in the 80's and then it was dorment for a While before the Gym took over around 2003 and since has been a Gym no special things happened to the building it Survived World War 2 and the Basement was used for an Air Raid shelter as the Back room of the Basement is surrounded by concrete when im in work next i will Take photo's of the Gym and Basement so you can get full aspect of the building.. So im know finnally happy with the outcome of the research happy *phew* smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:55am
good work lee thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 11:44am
We will have to get a now and then pic for that spot lee smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 12:11pm
Aye happy
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 6:56pm
think i have a picture of my great nan and one of the great aunts stood outside this when they worked there, my aunt married one of the butchers, sure somewhere i still have this picture, i drive back tho france tomorrow and will lookfor it over the next few days
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:21pm
Ohh that'l be good that Placid cheers happy
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:25pm
they used to go on outings to southport with the company and stuff apparently, in the days when southport was 3452 miles away, if u get my drift
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:26pm
LOL i do happy
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 24th Feb 2008 10:27pm
and grandads place was in town and in his younger times he got a tram home in town somewhere, scary
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Laird Street Co-Op - 5th Feb 2013 7:58pm
Hi, Just Found This Post. I Used To Work There And I Emptied All The Rubbish From The Cellar Over 25 Years Ago. It Took 2 Skips, Old Syphon Bottles, Pop Bottles And Even Old Pricing Stamps. Shaped Like Thick Felt Tip Pens With Rubber Price On The Bottom To Put In The Ink Pads. I Think I Left 2 Large False Packets Of 99 Tea There, About 2 Foot Tall. Cheers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral