Forums
Posted By: SoundLad Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Jan 2008 12:35pm
[youtube]ptpjcWUPbMc[/youtube]

Fount this scouring Youtube.. The guy who put that video up has a few on Liverpool as well happy have a nosey smile
Posted By: philmch Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Jan 2008 2:19pm
Not 100% certain but it looks like Duke St Bridge.
Posted By: jonah Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Jan 2008 2:34pm
fantastic find !!!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Jan 2008 2:41pm
Yer i thought that Phil but not sure think
Posted By: chriskay Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Jan 2008 3:00pm
I think it's Duke St. too. I remember many a time being held up there when on the No.28 bus to New Brighton.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 27th Jan 2008 12:20am
duke st the one where the pub is/was on the bridge where the control "room" would be?
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 10:09am
Yep - I think Duke Street bridge was the only one with 2 railway tracks. Replaced a 2 track 'swing' bridge.

Does'nt look very clean for an opening tho' ?
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 10:16am
I love old footage like this, really brings it home how advanced it was for its time, we've prob crossed that hundres of times without thinking bout it. Amazing.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 10:44am
Certainly Duke St. What was the last building project in Birkenhead that could get so much excitement going? All concrete and glass and steel now and goes rusty within 12 months and more often than not has to come down within 20 years. Sometimes you have to think that Prince Charles is quite right.
Smashing find by the way.
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 11:24am
An interesting find, if in fact that is Duke Street Bridge it would be the same as "A" bridge on Tower road, in 1956 new switch rooms were built at the foot of the tower 1 low tension switch room, a transformer room and 1 high tension switch room. When the cables were diverted to the new switchrooms, the power for the bridges was off for 48 hours and "A" bridge was operated using water, the ballast tanks were filled to raise the bridge and the water drained to lower it again from memory it took about 30 minutes to raise and 40 minutes to lower.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 12:04pm
I simply go straight to the source...

http://www.britishpathe.com/

...and in the search type 'Birkenhead' and scroll down...

Simples!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 2:41pm
Duke street bridge isn't the bridge a Bascule type bridge.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 4:25pm
Thanks for the link
Will have a good browse through it possibly friday

any other links to similar films please
Posted By: bri445 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 7:18pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Duke street bridge isn't the bridge a Bascule type bridge.

Quite right. It's a 'rolling bascule' type, meaning it doesn't hinge about one point but is pulled back so that the curved portion is rolling along the big teeth you see on the ground each side. There's a balance weight high overhead at the back and the effect is to even out the power required as it moves. The mechanics of it are simpler and above ground. This photo shows the arrangement, where the horizontal beams are drawn into and through the building by a sort of rack and pinion system driven electrically.
Simple, and they've lasted well!

Bri

Description: At Stanley Dock, Liverpool
Attached picture Scan-090924-0001.jpg
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 10:43pm
I reckon that it's Egerton Bridge at the end of Shore Road. The main Line locos such as the two in the film didn't go over Duke Street or the Four Bridges route due to the curves, but did go over Egerton Bridge ,as this was the access to Morpeth Dock yards from the main line from Chester.If you look carefully you will see that one of the railway wagons carries an advert for the Great Western Railway.
Having been over this bridge once or twice on the footplate of steam locos I can assure you that there were 2 tracks on this bridge.

Bob.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 24th Sep 2009 10:57pm
To add to previous post here is a photo of Birkenhead Mollington Street's Class 9F 92160 leaving Morpeth Dock with a freight for Warrington on 9th Sept 1966. Note the cattle wagons behind the loco, which will have been shunted round into Morpeth Dock from Shore Road.

Bob

Attached picture egerton.jpg
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 1:51pm
Originally Posted by 8HBob
To add to previous post here is a photo of Birkenhead Mollington Street's Class 9F 92160 leaving Morpeth Dock with a freight for Warrington on 9th Sept 1966. Note the cattle wagons behind the loco, which will have been shunted round into Morpeth Dock from Shore Road.

Bob

Great Picture...!
Don't forget there was also a large lairage on the North Quay of Wallasey Dock and beyond called 'Wallasey Lairage' which was physically separate from the lairage next to Woodside...... so the cattle trucks could be from there also..
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 1:52pm

Bob

You're right deffo 2 tracks on Egerton Bridge
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 2:00pm
I reckon that it's Egerton Bridge at the end of Shore Road. The main Line locos such as the two in the film didn't go over Duke Street or the Four Bridges route due to the curves, but did go over Egerton Bridge ,as this was the access to Morpeth Dock yards from the main line from Chester.If you look carefully you will see that one of the railway wagons carries an advert for the Great Western Railway.
Having been over this bridge once or twice on the footplate of steam locos I can assure you that there were 2 tracks on this bridge.

Bob.

Still think this looks like Duke Street as there are buildings where near Egerton there is dock water.

I think the 2 locos bit is a bridge test to show the strength of the bridge to the assembled crowd.

You're righ about the neare loco being a GWR type - the cab is the identifying feature, BUT the other loco looks like a London and North Eastern (LNER - ex Great Central) J11 - which fits in with the fact that on the north side of the Great Float there were warehouses and goods yards worked by LNER locos.

I know GWR locos shunted on the far side and continued to until the 1950's as my Great Uncle was an ex-GWR locoman who used to crew a old GWR Pannier tank from Mollington Street, which was used to shunt wagons on the north side of the float - they used to go via the Duke Street bridge to get there...
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 2:11pm
Originally Posted by bigpete

Bob.

Still think this looks like Duke Street as there are buildings where near Egerton there is dock water.

I think the 2 locos bit is a bridge test to show the strength of the bridge to the assembled crowd.

You're righ about the neare loco being a GWR type - the cab is the identifying feature, BUT the other loco looks like a London and North Eastern (LNER - ex Great Central) J11 - which fits in with the fact that on the north side of the Great Float there were warehouses and goods yards worked by LNER locos.

I know GWR locos shunted on the far side and continued to until the 1950's as my Great Uncle was an ex-GWR locoman who used to crew a old GWR Pannier tank from Mollington Street, which was used to shunt wagons on the north side of the float - they used to go via the Duke Street bridge to get there...

Correction - the locos are a GWR 56xx 0-6-2T tank engine and a LMS (ex-LNWR) 0-8-0 - both heavy freight locos - so Egerton Bridge is back on the list - or is it 'A' bridge of the 4 bridges ??? DOH!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 2:25pm
Excuse me for my ignorance. Does 'four bridges' refer to the rd by the irish ferry? Coz theres only 2! 3 if you the count the one up by the old train track, near the business park where the parking attendants hide?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 2:50pm
Only 2 now Rudebox but there used to be 4 of the suckers.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 2:53pm

Bob.

The expertise that bubbles up on this site is fantastic. You can't beat personal knowledge I guess.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 3:25pm
If my memory is right the four bridges are Edgerton Dock, Wallasey Dock and 2 for Alfred Dock. Someone must have a map they can put up.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 4:26pm
Here's the best I can find. Date, about 1913. It only shows 1 of the Alfred dock bridges unfortunately. However, it shows that not only Egerton but the other bridges carried twin rail tracks.

Attached picture 4 bridges.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 4:35pm
Chris, thanks for the map. If you look at the Alfred and i just checked with google maps, it appears to be on your map also. An island, if i can put it this way, maybe 1 bridge from mainland to island and a bridge from island to mainland. If that makes sense.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 10:20pm
Yes, Bert; because of infilling there's only 1 bridge now at Alfred dock & the other that's disappeared is the first one on the Birkenhead side, by Egerton dock. I'm thinking of coming up tomorrow so I'll drive round there. It'll bring back memories of me & my dad walking round there. He loved the docks & knew all the funnels of the different shipping lines.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 25th Sep 2009 11:00pm
My dads the same!! He was a ship version of a train-spotter! Ex merchant seaman.
Many a saturday afternoon me+ me sister would be running amok whilst he sat there with his binocs+ his log noting down 'stuff' about ships-country, name, type of etc. Other stuff probably bv thats the stuff i remember being 'taught' to look for thru the binocs!
Used to bore me silly, now i kinda get it
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Sep 2009 4:42am
Going from the Wallasey side of Tower Road, the bridges over Alfred Dock were "A" "B" Wallasey Dock was "C" and Edgerton Dock was "D" I am 99% sure 2 sets of rail tracks on "A" bridge cos I well remember getting my bike wheel stuck in the tracks!!!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 26th Sep 2009 10:30pm
They were hydraulic swing bridges from about 1866, then rebuilt about 1931 to bascule type.
(Swing br. pictures from Birkenhead - Pictorial History, I.Boumphrey, 1995)
The Duke St., the Four Bridges and Morpeth Br. are all shown with double tracks on the OS 1909 maps (Godfrey 1988).

Sad that it's no longer such a big and important UK port when we had decent-sized industries dealing with all parts of the world. That's progress!

Attached picture Duke St Br 1920s.jpg
Attached picture E Fl to Egerton 1920s.jpg
Attached picture Duke St Br Godfrey 1909.jpg

Description: Alfred Dk. to Wallasey Dk. 1909
Attached picture Alfred to Wallasey Godfrey 1909.jpg

Description: Egerton Dk. to Morpeth Dk. 1909
Attached picture Egerton to Morpeth Godfrey 1909.jpg

Description: Cattle train on Morpeth Br. 1967
Attached picture Morpeth Br 1967.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 28th Sep 2009 7:02pm
To settle the argument once and for all, the newsreel is of the opening of Duke St Bridge on 3rd march 1931.
Here's the report of the event from the Birkenhead News the following day...

Attached picture P9280276.JPG
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 30th Sep 2009 12:41pm
Nice one Marty99Fred - that does settle the bridge.

Unfortunately the article mentions the 2 giant engines - saying one is LMS (correct) and one is LNE (incorrect) as this is the one advetrising the GWR !!!!

Don't believe everything you read in the press springs to mind !

BTW the video is a lot clearer if you go to the Pathe site instead of youtube.....
I wondered if anyone would notice that!! The last paragraph would make a lot more sense if the two locos were LMS & GWR.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 2nd Oct 2009 10:04pm
The copper capped chimney gives it away as a Great Western loco.

Bob.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 19th Oct 2009 7:37pm
Just found this pic titled Seacombe road bridges 1932

Attached picture seacombe rd bridges1   1932.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 19th Oct 2009 9:28pm
were did you find that oldie, that's brill?

must have been so easy joyride around town, not alot of cars them days. thumbsup
Posted By: bigpete Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 20th Oct 2009 12:58pm
Nice one bert1 - the bridges look cleaner than they did on the 'opening' video !!! - weird..
Posted By: bert1 Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 20th Oct 2009 1:20pm
May as well add this one, the penny bridge 1957.

Attached picture penny bridge1   1957.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Duke St Bridge opening - Archive Footage - 3rd Jun 2020 2:34pm
Originally Posted by bert1
May as well add this one, the penny bridge 1957.

That exact place still floods there to this day after some heavy rainfall. laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral