Forums
Posted By: chriskay Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 6:40pm
Whilst researching something else, I discovered that there was another "model village" which pre-dates Port Sunlight by almost 40 years. It was built by the owners of Price's Candle Works for their workers. You can see it on the right hand edge of the map. It seems to be still there today; on Google Earth the location is
53-21-02.59N 2-58-48.74W
On the same map, dated 1899, you can see that the development of Port Sunlight had only just started. Building did not extend beyond Bolton Rd. at that time.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture 2008-01-20 18-23-57_0014.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 6:45pm
Wow amazing stuff, just checked on Google Maps, deffo still there, the houses and gardens are so uniform.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 7:09pm
Where does he find this stuff ?

Excellent....

Our "Time Team Leader" wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 7:52pm
I had a house there 5year ago. right were it says 104 in the back garden. that was mine smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:06pm
I've never seen this estate; it's on my list to visit.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:14pm
All good stuff Chris. On the inlet, just east of Pool Bridge is "CC at LW". Something Clear at Low Water ? (Claggy Crud ?)
HWMOT is High Water Ordinary Mean Tides.

Anyone any ideas ?? Answers on the back of a £20 note to ......
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:26pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
All good stuff Chris. On the inlet, just east of Pool Bridge is "CC at LW". Something Clear at Low Water ? (Claggy Crud ?)
HWMOT is High Water Ordinary Mean Tides.

Anyone any ideas ?? Answers on the back of a £20 note to ......

Questions, questions! You send ME a £20 note & I'll tell you the answer (please don't call my bluff 'till I've found out)
Another point of interest on the map is the Storeton Tramway, running along the frontage of the Sunlight works, to the pier, where the stone was unloaded by crane. This tramway was a source of annoyance to Lever, because it was slightly raised above ground level & difficult to cross. When the quarry closed, Lever bought the land where it was, including Storeton Woods. In fact, the woods to the South of Rest Hill Rd. are still owned by the Leverhulme Estates, although the Friends of Storeton Woods, who look after the rest of the woods, keep trying to buy them.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:27pm
HWMOT High Water Mark Ordinary Tides
CC at LW Centre of Channel at low water
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:31pm
DOH !! Why didn't I think of that ! Many thanks indeed Colgo.
Posted By: jonah Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 8:34pm
interesting stuff chriskay ! keep it up !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 20th Jan 2008 9:39pm
Thanks, Colgo; wouldn't have got much up there at low water. Probably most stuff, like the quarry stone, would have been moved on flat bottomed barges.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Bromborough Pool - 21st Jan 2008 11:20pm
" the woods to the South of Rest Hill Rd. are still owned by the Leverhulme Estates, although the Friends of Storeton Woods, who look after the rest of the woods, keep trying to buy them. "

That'd be Hancock's woods. I've been out a few times looking for evidence of the Tramway - some bits are obvious:

- The embankment in Storeton Woods
- The tunnell under the railway opposite Quarry road East

- You can also see bits and bobs of stone from the track bed in house front walls and gardens all of the way up Quarry road East. I love hands-on local history!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 22nd Jan 2008 10:14am
Originally Posted by AR_One

That'd be Hancock's woods. I've been out a few times looking for evidence of the Tramway - some bits are obvious:

- The embankment in Storeton Woods
- The tunnell under the railway opposite Quarry road East

- You can also see bits and bobs of stone from the track bed in house front walls and gardens all of the way up Quarry road East. I love hands-on local history!

You can still just see evidence of the tunnel under Mount Rd. too. When I was a lad you could still get into it, but it's blocked now. I remember you could also see the tracks crossing Rest Hill Rd.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Bromborough Pool - 22nd Jan 2008 10:21pm
A friend of mine lives in one of houses, To my knowledge, the village is managed by Riverside housing, with a few privately owned properties.

There are information boards up about the village and prices, as well as some sort of trail.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool - 22nd Jan 2008 11:51pm
who's your friend waddy?
Posted By: chriskay Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 2:12pm
Yesterday, on my way up to meet Jonno, I stopped off here. I'd never been here before, but had seen it on maps.
It was build in about 1853 by William Wilson, the owner of Price's Patent Candle Works (there was never a Price!!) for his workers. It pre-dates both Port Sunlight & Bournville (Cadburys) & is contemporary with Saltaire, which is near Bradford & well worth a visit if you're in the area.
The first of these workers' villages seems to be New Lanark, 1786,built by David Dale for his cotton mill workers.
The village is signposted off New Chester Rd. just over the Bromborough Pool bridge, going towards Chester.

Description: Information board
Attached picture history.jpg

Description: Church & school
Attached picture chapel & school.jpg

Description: The only remaining bit of Price's I could see
Attached picture The only bit of Price's remaining that I could see.jpg

Description: Houses
Attached picture street1.jpg

Attached picture street2.jpg

Attached picture street3.jpg

Attached picture street4.jpg

Description: Village hall
Attached picture hall.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 2:19pm
Strangely enough Chris my friend was telling me about that place
at Christmas, but i never new it as Brombrough Pool.

He told me that it has its own "School, church, community and even police" if i remember correctly think

Ive googled it as an over head smile

Attached picture wikiwirral-13.jpg
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 2:37pm
the 4th picture down the house with the green door used to be mine smile and i went to bromborough pool school aswell as my sister. I have a picture from around 1995 that was taken with my sister in the playground. I'll get it scanned tonight.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 3:31pm
How was it to live there, wheels?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 3:36pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Strangely enough Chris my friend was telling me about that place
at Christmas, but i never new it as Brombrough Pool.

He told me that it has its own "School, church, community and even police" if i remember correctly think

Ive googled it as an over head smile

That's the place; a bit of a hidden gem among all the industry. The large green area between Old Courthouse Rd. & South View was originally allotments, provided as part of the scheme.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 23rd Feb 2008 8:36pm
My Friend lives there with her son, the school closed in September and planning permission has been applied for to convert it into a children's soft play centre.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 6th Sep 2008 10:19pm
[Linked Image]

this is a picture of me on top of the above church years ago

[Linked Image]

and here is me inside the church one night around 2002/2003

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 6th Sep 2008 10:24pm
oh and me by the bell 2002/03

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Bromborough Pool Village - 7th Sep 2008 8:16am
my dad went 2 skool there
© Wirral-Wikiwirral