Forums
Posted By: chriskay Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 3:30pm
Just to say that the Wirral Museum (the old Town Hall in Hamilton Square) has a couple of rooms devoted to Cammell Laird's. Well worth a visit. Also in the museum is an excellent scale model of Woodside station which occupies most of a room. The building itself is pretty impressive too.
The museum is open Tuesday - Sunday, 10am to 5pm. Parking can be tricky on weekdays, better at weekends & of course it's just a couple of minutes from Hamilton Square station.

It also contains the Wirral Archives, but that's only open a couple of days a week.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 4:50pm
How much to get in ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 4:53pm
It's FREEEEE! Definitely worth a visit.
I was so offended when I found they'd moved the Town Hall to Wallasey, but now I'm glad we can all get to see the inside of the old Town Hall.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 5:00pm
Cheers for the opening times, think i might just take a little visit to this. Take me old man so he can relive some of his past, even tell me a few stories.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 5:02pm
Excellent smile

Sometimes its a little shove that gets us there wink

Cheers Chris
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 5:09pm
BEFORE
snob

AFTER

seeyu
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 7:39pm
Originally Posted by Dazzz
Take me old man so he can relive some of his past, even tell me a few stories.

You don't know how important this is!! I will always regret not asking my old man about all his memories. If we don't do it, so much knowledge is lost for ever. DO IT PEOPLE; if you don't, you may regret it you're 60 & trying to research your family history; even consider recording it.
Why do you think I chose that quote for my signature?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 7:54pm
I'd like some info on a few things.

Do you have a phone number for them Chris?
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 8:26pm
There is also a good scouting exhibition with info about the jamboree and how scouting was inaugerated on the wirral by Baden Powell if your interested in thats sort of thing?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 10:32pm
Wirral Museum is also Haunted. wink just had to get that on in hehe.. The Town Hall its self is an impressive piece of building the stained windows up the staircase and all the art deco on the walls. I just go and look at the architecture as that intrests me.. The best building ive ever been in is the Anglican Cathedral in liverpool that building blows me away...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 10:42pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
I'd like some info on a few things.

Do you have a phone number for them Chris?

Wirral Museum 0151 666 4010
Wirral archives 0151 666 3903
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 10:46pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Wirral Museum is also Haunted. wink just had to get that on in hehe.. The Town Hall its self is an impressive piece of building the stained windows up the staircase and all the art deco on the walls. I just go and look at the architecture as that intrests me.. The best building ive ever been in is the Anglican Cathedral in liverpool that building blows me away...

Yes, the cathedral is splendid. I also love the Catholic cathedral. Have you ever been to Prague? The architecture is mind blowing.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 10:48pm
nope have never been. Is it good ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 18th Jan 2008 11:03pm
Oh yes; especially if you like art deco. It was the home town of Alfons Mucha, one of the greats of the Art Deco period. Apart from that, it's one of the oldest & best preserved cities in Europe. It was never damaged in the war, since it was occupied very early on by the Germans & the allies saw no strategic purpose in bombing it (it was bombed once by mistake by the Americans, who mistook it for Dresden, 80 miles away)!
Posted By: jordan Re: Wirral Museum - 19th Jan 2008 3:54am
I love abit of Art Deco and always searching through time out and other mags for any exbo's in London as i am here in the capital for a while now.
If you want to see spectacluar buildings the go to Catalunya!
Domenech y Montaner, Idelfons Cerda, Gaudi, Puig y Cadalfalche, Joan Miro, Salvador Dali, Piccaso, Gorka, Antoni Tapies!..the list is endless. Apart from such a concentrated source of art and architecture the great thing is that all this genuis work atracts many amazing expeditions such as Rembrants and CONTEMPORARY!
Barna = Surrealism!
Sorry if any spelling mistakes, just come in from a rather random and productive night in West London!
Oh how i miss the delights of RJ's, Birkenvegas and Hoylake
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 19th Jan 2008 9:38am
Here is some info on the museum:

http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/wirral-museum-p44384

And here is some info on the Wirral Archives:

http://www.wirral-libraries.net/archives/

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 19th Jan 2008 3:00pm
Prague, always wanted to go there.

Only ever heard good stuff about it.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 9:17am
Theres only one reason you want to go to Prague Cali - Absinthe
Posted By: jonah Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 9:20am
Prague, always wanted to go there.

Only ever heard good stuff about it.

Wasnt the film HOSTEL filmed in a village outside Prague.. so is that why you wanna go ?
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 9:25am
I want to go to see the architecture.

Heard they have some nice beer there aswell

Hostel(film)- 95% of the film was shot on location in and around Prague, and the stage was only used for the main torture rooms.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:19am

Heard they have some nice beer there as well

Yes, the beer is great, if you like a real lager. There's only 1 brewery in Prague; that's the Staropramen one. I suspect it's that brewery which is producing the Tesco own brand Vratislav, which is a beer I like a lot. Comes in 1/2 litre bottles at about 89p which makes it great value for a 5% beer.
(Oh yes, the architecture is great too).

Don't know if there's any flights from Liverpool to Prague, but there's plenty from Manchester
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:21am
easyJet dont fly there from Liverpool. They have the biggest destination list there, but one of the smaller ones may?

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:28am
Staropramen

what a beer, love it. where sells it on the wirral, anywhere, only had in liverpool.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:34am
I would love to go and have a peek around the museum.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:38am
Maybe we could arrange a day with a few members to go and have a nose round the museum.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 11:42am
Maybe we could arrange a day with a few members to go and have a nose round the museum.

Id be up for that. We could make a day of it, go the priory and the transport museam at the same time?

I wonder if the tram tours are still going?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 12:14pm
the tram tours still run couple of days a week and of weekends,they run to woodside from the transport museum.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 12:17pm
Do they still include the visit to the priory, the visit to the grasshoper (or whatever its called) and the visit to the transport museam?

Do you have any idea on cost?

I went on one years ago and it was excellent, I was probably only about 10 or something at the time, really enjoyed it though.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 12:17pm
wirral archieve service is free of charge though you have to pay small amounts to use the microfilm service and the net.it is also best to contact them to book and to let them know briefly what you are researching as some records are held in storage and may take a short time to get to the office...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 2:26pm
I'd come up for a day's exploring, including the Museum, the trams, (which run weekends, 12-4pm.) & the Priory. I don't think that Shore Rd. pumping station is open at present.

The tram is about £1-80 return; everything else is free.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 6:13pm
If we can organise something, I deffo wanna come along, would be a great day chaps.

Ill start a list of names of the people interested in attending, and if someone can get more details on the times etc (ill look around the net but its very rare im ever down Birkenhead way nowadays unfortuatly), it would be great.

We can arrange a date that is suitable for everyone, I, as you know, are available most of the time at present.

- MattLFC
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 6:15pm
- MattLFC
- Dazzz
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 6:29pm
Right here is the opening times:

- Shore Road Pumping Station: Sat & Sun 12:00 - 16:00 (closed atm though)
- Tramway & Transport Museum: Sat & Sun 13:00 - 17:00
- Wirral Museum: Tue - Sun 10:00 - 17:00
- Birkenhead Priory: Sat & Sun 10:00 - 16:00

Free admission to all except the Tramway; I could phone up to find out about the pumping station, see if they know when it's likely to be open again??

Got the info from www.visitwirral.com

smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Museum - 20th Jan 2008 10:37pm
See Wirral History group meet.

Sorry guys, posted that thread before I saw this.

Cheers, Chris.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral