Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 7th Jan 2008 12:34am
I read in a book the other day that the original Bidston Hill peg windmill was located 20 metres north of the existing one, and the foundations can still be found... Now the website states 20 yards, so I think their roughly the same. Im not 100% how accurate their "north" description is, but I think I may have found it.

The peg windmill would have been built prior to 1596 as its mentioned in some lease documents(citation). It was destroyed by a fire in 1793 and replaced with the existing mill which was built in c.1800 (citation).

So I went up there today to have a look.

I took me GPS with me for directional accuracy and counted roughly 20m north of the lighthouse there is indeed a mound of earth higher then that around and somewhat un-natural looking.

Unfortuatly, there were loads of people about walking dogs and the like, and dogs fighting, so I didnt start ripping any of the earth up to have a look. Will do another time when its quieter, probably in the week or summit. Might just take me proper camera next time, anyone up for any further investigation (ie. seeing whats under the earth), lemme know.

Anyway, here is some photos to give you some idea of where it is:

[Linked Image]
A map of the location of the old mill - there is a bench right in front of it, you can see this on the map.

[Linked Image]
You can clearly see the location of the bench, the mound is directly behind the bench in this photo.

[Linked Image]
Its hard to make out on the photos, but behind that bench it is a mound.

[Linked Image]
A photo of the mound from kneeling level.

[Linked Image]
Another photo of the mound; the tufts of yellowish grass you see towards the front of the photo are the start of the mound.

Unfortunatly, no images of the original windmill exist afaik, but it "may" have looked similar to this one built in the early 1600's:
[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 7th Jan 2008 12:43am
can you make out the mound on the 360 degree view?

I've had a look, and can see a few mounds behind the bench, but which one? lol

I'd be up for it, but im in work through the week
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 7th Jan 2008 12:45am
I cant view them as I dont have quicktime im afraid.

VLC doesnt play quicktime files... it tries and gives a shoddy result, Apple wont let anyone have the license...

frown
Posted By: Mark Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 7th Jan 2008 8:57am
Never new that either wink
Good work in the freezing cold too lol
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 8th Jan 2008 10:23am
i would be up for helping just moved close to the hill and have become fascinated with the place
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 8th Jan 2008 1:25pm
just been up to the hill (god it was cold)found the mound and think it is well worth further investigation as are some of the possible shaft locations for the tunnels,found the cock pit but not to sure that is what it is ,seems more like some sort of milling stone .
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 8th Jan 2008 1:58pm
Haha what time were you up there? I went back up this morning, was there till about 12ish, maybe a bit later.

Got speaking to a few people about this and other treasures on the hill. I was walking around taking photo's with a green coat on and a black camera. Dunno if you seen me, you my have.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 8th Jan 2008 11:06pm
Originally Posted by jonno39
just been up to the hill (god it was cold)found the mound and think it is well worth further investigation as are some of the possible shaft locations for the tunnels,found the cock pit but not to sure that is what it is ,seems more like some sort of milling stone .
See the "Bidston Tunnels" Topic as we have a write up about the "cock Pit"

Click Me

Its not the beginning of the Topic but a link to the details.
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 9th Jan 2008 9:48am
yeah think we passed you as we were walking down to taylors wood ,past the mill i was with my wife,gonna go back up either today or tomorrow as we couldnt find the carvings south of the observatory and i would like to take a look at the possible tunnel shafts near to the cock pit.the place fascinates me.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 9th Jan 2008 10:16am
Haha how weird, I too was looking for the carvings. I looked for ages, couldnt find them, but met someone who showed me where the sun goddess is and the rough location of the horse, although after searching for 10 mins I couldnt find the horse. I think they are actually north of the observatory cant remember exactly, but they are behind it, which according to the GPS should be north.

Went to have a look at the shaft (I already knew where it is as we found it in summer), not much has changed since we attempted to move some of the remains etc.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 9th Jan 2008 10:55am
we found the horse it is where the wall at the edge of park wood ends and the path goes down to bidston village,there is a house in the wood just behind it .it is on the rock face ,but quite worn.apparently there are two human figures and another horse,south of the observatory on small bare vertiacl rock faces, we also found the supposed location of the original mill ,also in the woods about 30 -40 metres(guesstimate)there are some rather suspicious brick mounds are these possibly to do with the tunnels.am gutted that i have missed out on the tunnels
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 9th Jan 2008 10:59am
if you go to the carpark at tamoshanter there is a tourist map with the rough locations
Posted By: Mark Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 10th Jan 2008 10:15am
Interesting thumbsup
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 10th Jan 2008 4:59pm
if you stand next to the bench facing the mound about six feet behind you slightly to the left there are two pupose cut grooves in the rock face .which would fit in with the location and type of mill
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 10th Jan 2008 5:09pm
Originally Posted by jonno39
if you stand next to the bench facing the mound about six feet behind you slightly to the left there are two pupose cut grooves in the rock face .which would fit in with the location and type of mill

Yeah I seen this, but they seen rather random. Also, according to the GPS, the groovers are actually NW, which is why I question the accuracy of the "20 metres North" statement made by the authorities.

Someone I spoke to on there rakens they must have been for the windmill. Also, there are other wierd seemingly man-made hole etc in the bedrock, that look like they could be something to do with it. One person told me they supposedly used to have flags on the hill, and this is what he thinks they were for. Another person said there was probably a signal station on this hill, explaining some of the findings up there.

One guy told me that he thinks there is an illustration of the original peg windmill in a book about bidston hill... im gonna check the library website for any books on Bidston/Bidston Hill.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 10th Jan 2008 5:47pm
there did used to be a series of flag poles along the opposite side of the ridge ,some of the holes can still be seen (see pic)but these are away from where the grooves are and run the full length of the hill with the last one being by the horse carving.apparently they were used so the merchants in Liverpool knew there ships were coming in and they could organise a dock party to unload quickly.there also used to be a series of signal stations that used to stretch from anglesey to Liverpool ,with one being on the hill(the last one before Liverpool) they used to transmit using semaphore to warn the authorities that enemy or danger was imminent.not sure about dates
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Original Bidston Hill Peg Windmill - 10th Jan 2008 5:51pm
sorry here is the pics,we found five poss six of these but the used to be up to 100 in days gone by

Attached picture 022.JPG
Attached picture 023.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral