Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 The Wallasey Hermit - 5th Jan 2008 1:32pm
Anyone have any info on this character? I was flicking through a book in Port Sunlight Nursery called something like Murder and Mayhem on the Wirral. Anyone got a copy? Unortunately I couldn't read the whole story as I was in a hurry. (Didn't have money to buy it either) I got as far as reading his real name was Johann Frederick Krueger (may not be spelt right). Was he the inspiration behind Freddy Krugger in the films or was it a coincedence. Sounds interesting. Would like to learn more.
Posted By: chriskay Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 5th Jan 2008 2:47pm
Can't help you with any info., but just wanted to say that book is published by Ian Boumphrey, who has written/published lots of books on Wirral which are a very valuable resource for anyone interested in our local history. The garden centre at Port Sunlight seems to keep most of them. I'm attaching a scan giving details of all his books & he has a website.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture 2008-01-05 14-38-13_0004.jpg
Posted By: Morseman Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 21st Oct 2008 8:38am
Originally Posted by ghostly1
Anyone have any info on this character? I was flicking through a book in Port Sunlight Nursery called something like Murder and Mayhem on the Wirral. Anyone got a copy? Unortunately I couldn't read the whole story as I was in a hurry. (Didn't have money to buy it either) I got as far as reading his real name was Johann Frederick Krueger (may not be spelt right). Was he the inspiration behind Freddy Krugger in the films or was it a coincedence. Sounds interesting. Would like to learn more.

He lived on the sand dunes near Wallasey Village I think. Lived in some kind of shack he had built out of old stuff. Didn't hurt anyone and the people sort of adopted him. Think he was German or Austrian and rumoured to be from an aristocratic family. He died of natural causes so why murder and mayhem I don't know? Ah it is Murder, Mystery and Mayhem, so he is obviously a mystery! The people of Wallasey gave him a proper funeral instead of the usual paupers funeral. There are photographs of his funeral around somewhere. Certainly nothing to do with Freddie Kruger. Very common name Kruger in Germany. Hardy Kruger the actor for one.
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 21st Oct 2008 8:54am
I have murder and mayhem in Birkenhead and also more murder and mayhem in Birkenhead including Wallasey and New Brighton if they are any good to you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 21st Oct 2008 10:08pm
Frederick Krueger died in March 1909. He died in lonliness and squalor and was buried on 13 March 1909 when the local residents clubbed together for his funeral. He came to Wallasey c1878 as a stranger, living in makeshift dwellings for 10 years then settling in a corrugated iron hut off Green Lane.

His family had been in the personal staff of the Emperor of Prussia and following a university education he practised law and was also a concert pianist as well as a composer. The secret of why he gave all this up to live a secluded life in wallasey died with him.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 21st Oct 2008 11:48pm
Rather strange, even stranger is the fact people are still talking about him in 2008.
He died in 1909, pretty amazing, maybe he just wanted to be remembered?
The internet has made this so much more public, so who knows how long he will be remembered?
Ste
smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 22nd Oct 2008 7:55pm

We will be known forever by the tracks we leave behind

- Native American Sioux Proverbs

Posted By: jfoxy Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 26th May 2010 1:46pm
http://www.wallaseycemetery.co.uk/hermit.htm

this link might interest you it has a picture of his grave stone and funeral
Posted By: DavidB Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 30th May 2010 4:02pm
Nice one.
Lol @ inspiration for Freddy Krueger!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: The Wallasey Hermit - 31st May 2010 12:54pm
Intersting topic, I had never heard of this before.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral