Forums
Posted By: chriskay Windsor St - Street Party - 11th Nov 2007 2:32pm
This is a pic. from my family album. As the title says, it was in Windsor St, which no longer exists, but was off Oxton Rd. acouple of hundred yards from Charing Cross, on the right. The Windsor Castle pub is still there & was on the corner. The street is now a car park.
It was taken, probably by my mother, in 1945. This was one of the many street parties held to celebrate the end of the war. No.22 was my Gran's house. Interesting to see that the houses to the left of it still have iron railings, but the houses to the right don't. This is because those on the left have cellars & without railings you could have fallen in. Most railings (in all the parks, for instance), were taken for scrap during the war. If you look at many of the park boudaries, you can see where the railings used to be in the stone edgings. They've just finished replacing them in Birkenhead Park as part of the restoration. They're to the original pattern too.

Attached picture streetparty.jpg
Posted By: jonah Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 2:38pm
nice one Chris, locve lookin at the old photo's like that, especially when there is a story or family history attached to them... keep them comin ! thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 3:10pm
I've seen a few photos of other street parties around birkenhead, but its good to have a story behind them like yours smile

I think I'm right in saying that most of railings taken for use in the war were never actually used.

was it common for everyone even the kids to put 2 fingers up to the camera back then? tease

are you in this photo?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 3:43pm
I think the 2 fingers is a sign for victory smile i could be wrong....
Posted By: chriskay Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 3:51pm
Joe; I think you're right about the railings. Same with the aluminium pans which were supposed to be used to build Spitfires.

I don't think I'm in the picture; I was 8 at the time & most of the kids look younger.

The V sign (as I'm sure you know)was the V for Victory sign started by Churchill, but of course, should be given with the palm outwards. On the other hand, maybe it was the other V sign to Hitler. Do you know where that originated? (yes, I do).

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 3:59pm
Never knew about the aluminium pans?

Did they request that you give up your pans?

Many of the walls around the wirral have the bottom of the orignal railings still in the brickwork. I know the wall outside my house has.

I didn't know about the victory sign and I have no idea where it originated...do tell
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Windsor St - Street Party - 11th Nov 2007 4:02pm
great pic mate plus great history to the pic as well thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: Windsor St - Street Party - 11th Nov 2007 4:39pm
Excellent Chris smile
I think the old street parties may now be a thing of the past frown
Last proper one remember was the silver jubilee in 1977.

I was up Newcastle But all the surrounding streets chipped in
and it was a great day for adults and kids.
I seen my arse as i lost the sack race for doing it properly
and not running with me feet in the corners lol

If and when my uncle gets organised i'm sure he has shown
me some of them in the past, with street parties on them.

Love all your storeys chris smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 7:25pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Never knew about the aluminium pans?

Did they request that you give up your pans?

Many of the walls around the wirral have the bottom of the orignal railings still in the brickwork. I know the wall outside my house has.

I didn't know about the victory sign and I have no idea where it originated...do tell

Yes, about the pans, but most people were still using enamelled steel ones then.

You're right about the railings. If I remember correctly, the method of fixing was to make an oversize hole in the stonework & fill it with molten lead & insert the railing. Have a look at yours & see if you can see the lead.

Origin of the V sign (the rude one) goes back to about the 15th. Century. We were regularly at war with France & we were renowned for the success of our archers. When the French captured one of our archers, they cut off the middle & index finger of their right hand, so they could no longer shoot. In battle, the English archers used to give the French the V sign, showing they still had their fingers.

Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 7:32pm
haha interesting stuff

know where the middle finger/up ur's originates?

..l..
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: An old pic. - 11th Nov 2007 7:37pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Origin of the V sign (the rude one) goes back to about the 15th. Century. We were regularly at war with France & we were renowned for the success of our archers. When the French captured one of our archers, they cut off the middle & index finger of their right hand, so they could no longer shoot. In battle, the English archers used to give the French the V sign, showing they still had their fingers.

ahh yeah, I've heard that before now that you mention it
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: An old pic. - 12th Nov 2007 5:01pm
intresting
© Wirral-Wikiwirral