Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 11:44am
Originally Posted by BBC News

A 1,000-year-old Viking longship is thought to have been discovered under a pub car park on Merseyside.
The vessel is believed to lie beneath 6ft to 10ft (2m to 3m) of clay by the Railway Inn in Meols, Wirral, where Vikings are known to have settled.

Experts believe the ship could be one of Britain's most significant archaeological finds.

Professor Stephen Harding, of the University of Nottingham, is now seeking funds to pay for an excavation.

Read More

Saw this in BBC news 24 last night

The Viking expert used ground penetrating radar (GPR) equipment to pinpoint the ship's whereabouts.

He believes the vessel could be carefully removed and exhibited in a museum.

Professor Harding said: "The next stage is the big one. Using the GPR technique only cost £450, but we have to think carefully about what to do next.

Vikings are known to have settled on the Wirral

"Although we still don't know what sort of vessel it is, it's very old for sure and its Nordic clinker design, position and location suggests it may be a transport vessel from the Viking settlement period if not long afterwards.

"Scandinavian influence persisted here through the centuries.

"It is speculation at the moment, but at least we now know exactly where to look to find out. How it got there is also hard to say.

"It is some distance from the present coastline and probably the old one too.

"It might have got to its present position after flooding and sinking into an old marsh."

The ship was first uncovered in 1938 when the Railway Inn was being knocked down and rebuilt further from the road, the site of the old pub being made into a car park.

Workers were advised by the foreman to cover the ship over again so as not to delay construction.

Attached picture viking 2.jpg
Attached picture viking 1.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 11:49am
Yeah I red about this yesterday, apparently it was originally uncovered in the 1930's, as its mentioned in a book I have printed in 1993, with photo's of what they found.

Interesting that they are treating it as a new find lol.

Probably just some glory grabbing professor who needs to make a name for himself.
Posted By: Mark Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 11:52am
Originally Posted by BBC
The ship was first uncovered in 1938 when the Railway Inn was being knocked down and rebuilt further from the road, the site of the old pub being made into a car park.

Workers were advised by the foreman to cover the ship over again so as not to delay construction.

And the same work ethics can be seen today.

Good find Joe,
I wonder if it will ever be recovered?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 11:55am
My GF works there, and its been known to be under there for a while now - the place is also apparently haunted omg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 12:03pm
Well done Little Gonk.... happy

Other interesting stuff here:-

Click Click Click

Posted By: SoundLad Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 11th Sep 2007 1:56pm
Intresting smile my friend colin will be over the moon as he used to do Viking reancments and knows quite alot of history about vikings..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 12th Sep 2007 12:28pm
PDF on Vikings on Wirral here:-

Click Click Click

Enjoy.....

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 12th Sep 2007 2:13pm
great find Mr Scudo happy

I didnt know Tranmere was named after the Vikings and the Arno was a burial ground for Arnishaug.

Interesting stuff.

Claughton used to be called "Klakkr-tun"
Posted By: spinking Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 12th Sep 2007 3:00pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
great find Mr Scudo happy

I didnt know Tranmere was named after the Vikings and the Arno was a burial ground for Arnishaug.

Interesting stuff.

Claughton used to be called "Klakkr-tun"

Didnt know that.

I only live rnd the corner so i am off up there now with my spade raftl

Good find peps.
Posted By: Mark Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 6th Dec 2007 4:06pm
I heard today that the National Geographic are going to do a peace on this... So it must be interesting to say the least.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 4:43pm
The trouble with Wirral, is that everyone is obsessed with its supposed Viking Heritage, and looks too much into everything. All that is known about the boat is that it is a boat! It's design whilst being in proportion with some Viking ships, also matches much later mediaeval boats. Also, the place name etymology is just guess work, and has to be taken with a pinch of salt!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 5:59pm
woooooww can we see it

or dig there
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 6:14pm
No, theres a Carpark on top of it frown
Posted By: uggla Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 6:43pm
They was a story about this on granada reports last year pretty amazing.

You will prob find lots of sites may find ancients relics when they are digging but keep there mouths shut as it will delay or stop any building been done.

and we know its all about been on schedule to save money.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 10:31pm
Yep theres been a few programmes about it.Steven Harding is trying to raise money to begin excavation projects. Although it is not confirmd to be of Viking origin, given its location that would seem the likely option.

You can find pictures of the original sketch and the ground penetrating radar here: boat
Posted By: uggla Re: Viking ship buried beneath Railway Inn - 10th Feb 2009 11:56pm
cheers will have a proper look tommorow
© Wirral-Wikiwirral