Forums
Posted By: Mark Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 1:01am
Site Name: Birkenhead - Wirral Metropolitan Borough Emergency Centre/Merseyside County Standby (Site 2)
[Source: Nick Catford with technical information from Nick Willasey Liverpool City Council EPO] click me

Birkenhead Corporation Control was located in a purpose built Civil Defence Corps Control Centre beneath the Technical College Theatre (later re-named the Glenda Jackson Theatre in honour of one of the Wirral's most famous daughters), in Borough Road, Birkenhead.

[Linked Image]

It was opened in 1952 and used until 1968. It was later reactivated in the 1980's as the Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council Emergency Centre and refurbished in 1988 with a standby generator, forced air ventilation, blast valves and two water tank. (Two sets of blast doors were fitted during construction in 1952, these were not upgraded) Following the refurbishment Merseyside County Standby was co-located at the site. At this time the centre was also fitted with an Autex 1600, 100 CMX and a TXS 50 ECN unit.

In 1990 The Wirral Emergency Centre was moved to Westminster House, Birkenhead and the bunker under the Glenda Jackson Theatre was closed; at that time Merseyside lost it's standby centre. The Glenda Jackson Theatre itself is now also closed and the Wirral Metropolitan College is due to close in the near future. It is likely that the site will be demolished. The bunker is currently used by the college as a recording studio and rehearsal room with several structural changes being made since the closure of the emergency centre.

[Linked Image]

Entrance to the bunker was from the main corridor linking the college with the theatre, the blast doors have now been removed and replaced with ordinary wooden doors. These entrances were in the form of airlocks opening into a small room with a second door diagonally opposite into the bunker. The first air lock opened into the 'Dispatch Room' where the PABX was located. From the despatch room the ventilation plant room was on the left and the male toilets were accessed through the plant room. The internal solid walls forming these three rooms have now been removed and four smaller rooms have been created in the space. These are used as rehearsal rooms, one is empty, one contains a double bass and two contain drum kits.

On the right hand side of the former dispatch room was a door into one of two Control Rooms (Control Room 2) but the doorway has now been walled up. The narrow MSX Room was also accessed from the right hand side of the Dispatch Room, this now acts as a corridor into the other rooms. A message hatch into Control Room 2 has been filled in. A door at the far end of the MSX room opens into the 'Message Room' which is now empty apart from a piano. The emergency exit in the far corner of the room has been bricked up and the two message hatches into Control Room 2 have been enlarged to form a wide open doorway between the two rooms. Control Room 2 contains various items of audio equipment. A doorway linking Control Room 2 with Control Room 1 has been blocked up and access to the Control Room 1 can now only be made through the Message Room.

[Linked Image]

Control Room 1 has been converted into a recording studio with audio mixers and tape decks. Two message hatches between the Message Room and Control Room 1 have been replaced with a large glass window. From control room 1 there is also a door into the 'Liaison Room' and through the second air lock back into the basement corridor. These rooms are used for storage as are the former women's toilets which were accessed from Control Room 1. The standby generator was located in a room outside the bunker and has now been removed.

[Linked Image]

While most sirens were removed in the 1990's that at this site along with the control cabinet still survive in the college lift room. Inside the cabinet there is a WB1400 carrier receiver that was used to operate the siren remotely. The siren can be key operated and we were able to test it briefly, any longer and the college would have been evacuated. According to the log this was the first siren test since 1992. The siren is located on the roof of the lift room in a metal cage. The control cabinet and the siren have now been donated to the Hack Green museum where they will be installed in 2002.

Those taking part in the visit were Nick Catford , Keith Ward , Rod Siebert, John Fogg and Robin Ware
[Source: Nick Catford with technical information from Nick Willasey Liverpool City Council EPO]
Posted By: jonah Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 7:42am
so this is probably not there anymore... gutted... or if it is, we need to find which flat its under and get a jackhammer on the floor... raftl
Posted By: spinking Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 8:35am
Mad i have been in there when i was at the college (along time ago raftl )
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 9:23am
cool stuff, never knew it existed. very interesting
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:14am
theres also a bunker under this building..

LAT / LONG - 53°22'49.35"N 3° 1'50.42"W < past that in google earth....

This building belongs to the Army or MOD (not sure) and there is a old Bunker or shelter under this... have to do some research as my mum used to live in Whitford Road. Been there quite awhile to smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:18am
Also theres meant to something here as well but to me just looks like Fuel or Water silos...

53°19'50.20"N 2°58'9.16"W
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:19am
That college is long gone as well as the theatre and most prob the bunker along with it.. frown shame...
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:38am
i don't have google earth installed frown
Got any other images / links (google maps ??)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:39am
go to google maps
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:40am
and where do you put the coordinates then ??
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:43am
in the search maps bit mark and then soom into the placemark... Sorry should of explained how to do it on there as well.. DoH!
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 11:59am
smile strange it didn't work earlier tease

interesting think

Nice one Sound Lad smile

Attached picture 006.jpg
Attached picture 005.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 12:09pm
this is barracks as well which also is meant to have some sort of bunker / tunnel / shelter thingy i'll have to do some research...

[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 1:25pm
thats about 3 streets away from meh.
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Sep 2007 1:35pm
BOOM !!
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 24th Nov 2007 5:08pm
The one is bromborough by Old Hall road is the remins of an old moat. It surrounded the manor house that monks used to live in near Bromborough Pool.

- Doctor Frick
Posted By: keefy Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 2nd Jan 2008 10:38pm
Some cool stuff there guys. The Crane down the old shore has always interested me and the monks tunnels near the Liverpool tunnel
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 3rd Jan 2008 11:45am
lol i used to go out to that crane with me mates, got caught by the police once or twice too who werent stupid enough to follow us out there lol

where in the ferry u from keefy
Posted By: Brocks Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 3rd Jan 2008 1:18pm
The Birkenhead Site is a Territorial Army centre so it is MOD land. The may well be gucci stuff there.

The Bromborough site is behind Candy...It's since been dug up. It was I belive a water storage facility..at least thats what OS maps used to say IIRC.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 3rd Jan 2008 1:23pm
ive been down under 1 of them mounds as well lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 10th Jan 2008 4:32pm
Wasnt the mounds in bromborough owned by Shell and used for storing oil.
Posted By: doolze Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 28th May 2009 12:00am
Sort of, the mounds where protected multi fuel, semi submerged, storage vessels, they acted as a buffer store for the MOD fuel network, the network was updated in the 80's and bypassed the site by some 300m. There was a direct link from there to the old jety that is still located almost in a direct line to the river.
Posted By: doolze Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 28th May 2009 12:05am
I have photos of the bunker under the glenda jackson when it was being refitted in 1989.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 28th May 2009 6:52am
Originally Posted by Brocks
The Birkenhead Site is a Territorial Army centre so it is MOD land. The may well be gucci stuff there.

The Bromborough site is behind Candy...It's since been dug up. It was I belive a water storage facility..at least thats what OS maps used to say IIRC.

the site behind eastham golf course on ferry road sound like the same for storring oil or something!when we where kid we use to go down there all the time just a few small tunnels!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 30th May 2009 2:31pm
Originally Posted by doolze
I have photos of the bunker under the glenda jackson when it was being refitted in 1989.
put 'em up dude!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 30th May 2009 8:35pm
did you know that the area that was covered by the Birkenhead Tec collage and the Jackson theater was all Alotments in the early 50s
Posted By: gopher Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 25th Nov 2010 8:56pm
Now a housing estate built on the site of the tech college, bunker was filled in when demolision took place.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 25th Nov 2010 9:03pm
No sense of heritage, this stupid ducking council!!!
Posted By: Bandageman Re: Birkenheads Hidden Bunker - 25th Nov 2010 9:45pm
When I went to Birkenhead Tec, one of the other class member told us and the lecturer. That an older member of his family told him there was a celler under a celler which was not on the original plans. The lecturer said this was true and originally it was going to be a hospital but never used as one
© Wirral-Wikiwirral