Forums
Posted By: valli Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 2:05pm
My husband has been trying to find a Film he watched many years ago ,could be an eighties film.The plot, Her Father is killed by mafia types.She finds out who it was and sets out to avenge her Fathers death.Opening scene is a Church with a male Tenor? singing Ave Maria.My husband says this is the finest male voice he has ever heard singing this particular song.Well i've looked high and low for this film and gone through many different recordings and not been able to find it.He thinks Betrayal could have been in title.Can anyone help solve the mystery Please, as I would like to buy the cd soundtrack for him
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 2:38pm
Have you tried Mario Lanza in the movie Seranade?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 2:38pm
Flippin heck, I've not hot a clue on that one and I'd like to think Iam up on films past and present. Hopefully it rings a bell with someone. Good luck I will pop back to see of you have any success.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 3:53pm
Any more clues eg western? spaghetti western? men in suites? Country?
Posted By: cools Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 3:56pm
The great Caruso , Mario Lanso sings Ava Maria in church, maybe?
Posted By: snowhite Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:27pm
Originally Posted by cools
The great Caruso , Mario Lanso sings Ava Maria in church, maybe?
[youtube]lH5ikodNZZ0[/youtube] This one Cools?Jesus this is old lol.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:29pm
Any Clues

Originally Posted by valli
My husband has been trying to find a Film he watched many years ago ,could be an eighties film.The plot, Her Father is killed by mafia types.She finds out who it was and sets out to avenge her Fathers death.Opening scene is a Church with a male Tenor? singing Ave Maria.My husband says this is the finest male voice he has ever heard singing this particular song.Well i've looked high and low for this film and gone through many different recordings and not been able to find it.He thinks Betrayal could have been in title.Can anyone help solve the mystery Please, as I would like to buy the cd soundtrack for him
[u][/u]
Posted By: snowhite Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:30pm
Originally Posted by fillbo
Originally Posted by valli
[u][/u]
What happened there filbo?
Posted By: fillbo Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:32pm
oops, DD asked for clues!!!!!
Posted By: cools Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:34pm
Yeah it sure is Snow. I hasten to add I,m not that old that I remember it . Just looking on Google and found that clip you put up, thanks.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 4:44pm
I asked for "more clues", mafia-types could refer to a number of genres in my mind.

Ave Maria has been sung in over 1200 films, mostly Italian of course who are renowned for changing the title especially when English versions are brought out.

I'd be interested to find this myself, the conventional song is unbelievably difficult for a tenor to sing as they can't get the resonance required that a soprano can.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Film Soundtrack - 22nd Feb 2015 11:57pm
Gotta be a western, Mafia was all the go in them days. I`m sure John Wayne was the main singer.
Posted By: granny Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 1:20pm
I assume you mean Schubert's version. This clip seems older than 1980's and don't now which film it is from. Just a guess

[youtube]X1Y8t6tUAPQ[/youtube]

Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 1:43pm
I offered this as an option having remembered it from when i was younger, it was my mothers favourite rendition of the song and she loved Mario Lanza. It is from the movie Seranade which came out the year my brother was born - 1956, so doesn't quite make the 1980's for the period Valli was thinking.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 3:24pm
@Granny, that is the 1956 film "Serenade"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049737/
Posted By: granny Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 3:45pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
@Granny, that is the 1956 film "Serenade"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049737/

Thank you DD. That doesn't match the story line either . We'll keep trying.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 4:18pm
Tut tut Granny, i take it my reply to you was a little too long to be appreciated lol
Posted By: granny Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 5:22pm
Originally Posted by GeeMeister
Tut tut Granny, i take it my reply to you was a little too long to be appreciated lol

Didn't realise you wanted a reply. Sorry ! DD addressed his post @Granny and gave a link to the story line. You should have tackled DD and said you got there first !.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 5:44pm
@GeeMeister Apologies from me as well I didn't mean to muscle in on your comments, just wanted to post the link for the storyline.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 5:59pm
Granny & DD!, daft devils, i'm far too easy going to really take offence. Being a forum watcher, its funny how often that type of thing occurs. Im curious as to which film it actually turns out to be.
Posted By: valli Re: Film Soundtrack - 23rd Feb 2015 10:31pm
Thanks for trying everyone.No not Mario Lanza although I think that is lovely ,and the Maria Calais one is superb.Anyway back to the film more details, In the beginning ,He now tells me, Its her Father singing in Church he is murdered by Mafia types .She sets out to avenge her fathers death .she tracks the man down and marries him then gets the ultimate revenge of killing him.He mentioned he thinks the film is either Betrayal or Betrayed He does not know any of the actors .but film was definitely made after or during the eighties.I have tried looking it up and its got me stumped.
Posted By: granny Re: Film Soundtrack - 26th Feb 2015 2:06pm
Valli, was the film English, American or subtitles ? Black and white or colour ?
Posted By: valli Re: Film Soundtrack - 1st Mar 2015 7:26am
Hello Granny Film was American, colour and thats about all I know.Thank you for previous suggestions. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral