Forums
Posted By: DavidB Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 10:11am
I listen to this station a bit in the car as it's better than the other commercial local radio stations (slip trip fall adverts etc).
I found it was good in the 80s when it was on in my parents house, but found it hasn't changed at all in 30 years.
Billy Butler is OK but so unbelievably out of date. He has a stream of dull and unadventurous cabaret and cover bands on, such as Mona Lisa Twins and others. How is listening to another cabaret singer covering popular music from the 70s good radio? I could go into any working class pub on a weeknight and hear the same rubbish?
I think he has a great radio persona but the show is a mess and was only relevant in 1970s. We have Magic or Radio City 2, so why is radio merseyside dedicated to playing only the most well known music from the 50's to the 70's?

Billy Marr is awful - how many 90 year olds are up listening to his 12 o'clock show I wonder? He plays his own banjo based songs. Ugh. How is he still broadcasting on the most listened to local radio station in th UK?

Linda McDermott is pretty good on her own, but her clutch of permanent ancient co-hosts are unbearable. I know it's local radio and is supposed to promote Liverpool, but I don't want to constantly hear on how Liverpool are leaders in every aspect of everything in the world - it's not, and the Beatles split up in the 70s. It's embarrassing.
I like Roger Philips but the people who phone in are clueless and their arguments are unresearched and wrong, and renders the program pointless.
I think Tony Snell in the morning is really good though, he's one of the best presenters I've heard.

Who controls radio Merseyside? It feels ungoverned and a waste as it could be so much better.
Posted By: cools Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 12:00pm
I have to defend Radio Merseyside here. I have it on all the time, cannot stand just music all the time, as the likes of city. I do listen to Pete Price show tho on city, phone in makes me laugh.Billy butler maybe lives in past abit but I love all the stories and banter.I suppose it's an age thing in what channel you like yo listen to , I like talk. Would not like change in Radio Merseyside.
Posted By: Steve_Wallasey Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 12:53pm
You could always try the pirates. Merseyland Alternative Radio is still going on 105FM at weekends
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 12:53pm
The most listened to radio station outside of London says it all. Billy is geeting long in the tooth but with some of the older presenters is still holding it together. Not sure about some of the new younger presenters i have listened too. I am not a born scouser but still prefer Merseyside to city . Quite agree about some of the characters that they get on the phone ins but thats a cross section of the Scouse mentality. Sat opposite Billy a few years back doing a phone in about 911 conspiracy quite daunting but Billy kept it flowing ok--appreciated how difficult a job it is. Him and caring Steve have had me in stitches some times.Seem to think Billy has been having a few more breaks recently so maybe they are slowly letting him out to graze. He is not too political correct either which i like.Think he is dragging out some of the quiz things he does but that may not be his idea.

Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 12:59pm
I gave up listening to this station several months ago , the final straw for me was Sean Styles running a phone in competition ( no prize of course) about which celebrity he looks like! How the hell should I know, it's on the bloody radio you twit. Also, if you don't like constant discussions about football this station is not for you. Also, without warning, they will broadcast incredibly loud, screaming football announcers getting over excited when some over paid twerp of a footballer gets somewhere near the goal. If you want music listen to classic FM, if you want talk listen to radio 4. I'm sure you all agree with me don't you???? Of course you do!
Posted By: starakita Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 8:46pm
I like Tony Snell in the morning & when he has kids on he doesn't patronise them.I listen to the footy & I like listening to Linda Mac on a Wednesday night if I can stay awake long enough.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Radio Merseyside - 24th Jan 2015 11:23pm
Originally Posted by starakita
I like Tony Snell in the morning & when he has kids on he doesn't patronise them.I listen to the footy & I like listening to Linda Mac on a Wednesday night if I can stay awake long enough.

I like Snelly (even if he's a bluenose) but the change to his show is rubbish. They have Jenny who does the travel news now doing the 6 - 7 slot and it's just filled with her inane ramblings and she plays music, I don't want music on my commute at half six. thumbsdown
Posted By: DavidB Re: Radio Merseyside - 26th Jan 2015 10:55pm
Yeah, I don't really like that 'Jenny' as she seems to talk a little bit too much but it isn't interesting.
All said about Billy Butler, he is a bit of a legend, I used to think Hold Your Plums and all that on Sunday morning was pretty good, I was about 8 or 9. I wonder why his old partner Wally Scott isn't on anymore?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Radio Merseyside - 27th Jan 2015 10:30am
Radio Moanerside.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral