Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 11:53am
Saw the film yesterday. Well worth seeing for many reasons but best to form your own opinion.
Posted By: reddragon Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 11:57am
cheers for that Pax been waiting for some reviews looks like will be watching it now
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 12:00pm
Ooo I plan to see this, only cos Meryl Streep is awesome and I can imagine her playing it really well after the devil wears prada tease
Posted By: reddragon Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 12:01pm
not forgetting " Mamma Mia"
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 2:01pm
No I know, and Julie and Julia, and It's Complicated etc etc I just mean I can imagine her playing it well after how she played Miranda Priestly in the devil wears prada tease she's a great actress!
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 2:18pm
We saw it yesterday at our local Odeon. Altogether there were 6 people viewing it!

Although I thought Meryl Streep was superb I didn't actually rate the film - far, far too much emphasis on Thatcher's dementia issues.
Posted By: micsey Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 3:37pm
i hope that margaret thatcher roasts in all eternity and then some more,keep looking for her Obitchuary i think it will be this year laugh
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 4:02pm
They should re-title the film 'That Bitch'
Posted By: red40 Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 4:09pm
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
far, far too much emphasis on Thatcher's dementia issues.

So the film started when she became Prime Minister then! grin
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 4:21pm
Er, the Topic here is the film, not the person herself...
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 4:53pm
withthat
Posted By: Touchstone Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 5:56pm
Originally Posted by micsey
i hope that margaret thatcher roasts in all eternity and then some more,keep looking for her Obituary i think it will be this year laugh

withthat

Haven't seen the film myself. Many reviews say that it sidesteps the controversies of her premiership and focuses more on her personality. Can't see too many people in Yorkshire or the Welsh Valleys watching it.
She may have been a vicious old bag but she certainly made an impact. It quite scary to see Maggie/Meryle Streep staring down from billboards and ads on the sides of buses.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 7:21pm
You can perhaps ask yourself whether the country is a better or worse place because of the influences of Maggie? I err on the side of better. Sure, she did some things wrong, some very wrong, but nobody can get it right all the time and at the time and later she realised the mistakes and learned from them.

Snod
Posted By: Touchstone Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 7:30pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
You can perhaps ask yourself whether the country is a better or worse place because of the influences of Maggie? I err on the side of better. Sure, she did some things wrong, some very wrong, but nobody can get it right all the time and at the time and later she realised the mistakes and learned from them.

Snod

Maybe you benefited but a lot of people didn't. Whole industries decimated, communites devestated, finance deregulated to create the mess we're in today. Thatcher did do a lot wrong and very little right.
Posted By: micsey Re: The Iron Lady - 11th Jan 2012 7:53pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
[quote=Snodvan]You can perhaps ask yourself whether the country is a better or worse place because of the influences of Maggie? I err on the side of better. Sure, she did some things wrong, some very wrong, but nobody can get it right all the time and at the time and later she realised the mistakes and learned from them.

Snod

Account Closed
Posted By: Touchstone Re: The Iron Lady - 15th Jan 2012 7:14pm
Thatcherism comprised of:

- Flogging state assets to chums for knock down prices
- Chucking 3 million on the dole
- Creation of the quangocracy
- Lionising of the City of London
- Flogging resources to pay for tax cuts to rich chums
- Lowering the long run average GDP growth rate
- 15pc interest rates
- Huge spike in crime and social disorder
- Party Funding by shady offshore millionaires
- Section 28 Homophobia
- Massive borrowing to plug fiscal holes brought on by Tory recessions
- Surrendering powers to the EU (she signed the Single European Act, which I find hilarious!).
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: The Iron Lady - 28th Jan 2012 11:41am
Saw the film yesterday anyway, I thought it was really good, very sad!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: The Iron Lady - 31st Jan 2012 4:36pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
Saw the film yesterday anyway, I thought it was really good, very sad!

Yeah, I know! It's a very sad ending. She doesnt die! laugh
Posted By: Reremnart Re: The Iron Lady - 3rd Feb 2012 10:36am
Originally Posted by micsey
i hope that margaret thatcher roasts in all eternity and then some more,keep looking for her Obitchuary i think it will be this year laugh

Well said !! I have no intention whatsoever to watch a film about that evil bitch. Can`t wait for the street party when her very much unwanted presence on this Planet is over.
Posted By: granny Re: The Iron Lady - 24th Apr 2012 9:28am
Does anyone remember the 'Spitting Image' take on Margaret Thatcher when she was attending a rather large function with her cabinet.
The waiter asked 'What would you like to order for your meal Madam?' Mrs Thatcher replied 'Steak, medium rare'.. 'and your vegetables Madam?'.. 'Oh' said Mrs. Thatcher, 'They will have the same!'............

raftl
Posted By: mrhanky Re: The Iron Lady - 24th Apr 2012 9:34am
the sad thing is a few of her mp's told the story as though it were true and claimed to be there!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Iron Lady - 24th Apr 2012 10:06am
I was very disappointed to see it was nothing like 'Iron Man'.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral