Forums
Posted By: Mark New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 18th Dec 2015 11:32pm
Not sure when this Max Stay is kicking in but the signs are going up.

Pic from Facebook.

Second picture from Facebook

Attached picture FB_IMG_1450481144835.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1450721024828.jpg
Well i suppose its a sign of how succesful the regeneration of new brighton has been.at least nb is still one place they havent gone totally mad with double yellows everywhere forcing you into pay car parks. A bit of black marker pen could easily make it 8 hours.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 19th Dec 2015 9:22am
Originally Posted by fish5133
Well i suppose its a sign of how succesful the regeneration of new brighton has been.at least nb is still one place they havent gone totally mad with double yellows everywhere forcing you into pay car parks. A bit of black marker pen could easily make it 8 hours.
shocked
I'm so glad I wasn't alone in thinking of the 8hr jape.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 19th Dec 2015 10:03am
that car park is an accident waiting to happen,spend millions on the store then give a dog walker £20 and a pot of paint to do a car park
Posted By: Norton Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 19th Dec 2015 11:28am
Read that sign again. "FOR USE BY SHOPPERS ONLY."

Now, I thought that part of the regeneration scheme was to revamp the car parks and provide a few extra spaces so that the car park could be used by shoppers as well.

The idea was not that a shoppers car park could be used by the visitors - otherwise we have a situation like that at Morrisons in West Kirby, which you may remember started off as a public car park site.
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 19th Dec 2015 5:02pm
I guess in a roundabout way it all down to the council who I think sold off the land for development in the first place. There used to be loads of free parking, now after the development the free parking is way more restricted. But I wonder why Morrison's get special treatment and can charge after 3 hours. If you go to cinema and have something to eat that takes way over 3 hours - and you don't get charged there do you?
The three hours parking was written into the contract in 2011.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 19th Dec 2015 7:17pm
I wonder if this could mark the demise of new Brighton like of old.
No one likes it when you take away something for free, or something you take for granted.

It should have been introduced from the start.
Again, parking fines, and pissed off visitors.

And if you escape the parking fine, your probably gonna get a littering fine on a windy day.

When ever ive visited New Brighton i go into morrisons car park for everything. Eating out, a walk, the cinema, because its a car park.

New Brighton isn't that fantastic to pay parking charges.
But its a good place to be when its free because thats what makes a huge difference from say West Kirby.

Money making at our enjoyment, its our wirral too yu know.
I'm sure in the majority of cases the businesses do not want to have penalties but if every time the Floral Pavilion has a show and Morrison's customers can't get in the the Morrison's car park then it is not only unfair for Morrison's but its unfair to their customers.

Its a private car park provided for a specific purpose, not for abuse by freeloaders who want facilities provided for free at someone else's cost.

Comparisons could be made with internet forums as to whether they should be free or not, its up to the owner how it is funded and who can use it.
I am confused.Does this mean I cannot go to the cinema,have a bite to eat,and shop without getting fined? Some films with advertising go over three hours and I usually go early to park if a popular film is on.
I went to school in New Brighton and after waiting over fifty years to see it revamped and busy,it is a shame if car parking issues 'kill the golden goose'.
No, you can still do all of that. Just don't park in Morrison's car park. smile
Posted By: granny Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 20th Dec 2015 9:33am
Interesting to know if this is Morrison's car park, or independent private company operated car park.

If they want the people, they need to take a serious look at the parking facilities. Absolutely no good to have so many 'attractions' in one small space without car parking to match. Why was Morrison's given that prime spot anyway ? Positioning was always a bone of contention, and now another reason to add to the list.
Is it ALL Morrisons? I thought that the right hand side as you go in via the entrance road is Morrisons, and the left hand side was public.

I can't see from that photo, but I know at the WK Morrisons there is free parking with no restrictions after 5pm - they do say you have to be gone by 11pm, but don't explain what happens if you arrive at 11.05pm. Somehow I doubt they pay someone to inspect after 11pn, but i could be wrong.
If I go I always park near the Home Bargains side,so does this mean I've only got 3 hours there or does this just mean the part by MorrisonsI go to walk the dog but usually go into Home Bargains or Iceland as well
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 20th Dec 2015 9:47pm
[Linked Image]

Shoppers ?
Does that mean if I park up with intentions to buy sparkling water, only to find there out of stock am i still a shopper, or a free loader ?

i guess if you're off to the cinema keep your tickets in case of a dispute.

But £85 its just far to harsh for an over run.
They may have ANPR so you must leave the car park.

That's going to leave a nasty taste for any new tourists .
West kirby will feel the benefit again.

Posted By: j_demo Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 10:55am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I'm sure in the majority of cases the businesses do not want to have penalties but if every time the Floral Pavilion has a show and Morrison's customers can't get in the the Morrison's car park then it is not only unfair for Morrison's but its unfair to their customers.

Its a private car park provided for a specific purpose, not for abuse by freeloaders who want facilities provided for free at someone else's cost.

Comparisons could be made with internet forums as to whether they should be free or not, its up to the owner how it is funded and who can use it.

Anyone who goes to the floral usually parks in the for perch rock car park though.
Afternoon performance the other day. Fort perch was full, prom was full and morrisons was full etc

When floral busy it has a knock-on effect of displacing cars that would normally park in fort perch.
Posted By: granny Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 2:26pm
.....and as Floral is Council, they should have thought it through better.

Does the Fort also charge for parking now ?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 3:31pm
The West Kirby Morrisons is only 2 hours free parking.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 4:52pm
Originally Posted by granny
.....and as Floral is Council, they should have thought it through better.

Does the Fort also charge for parking now ?

They were going to but the local councillor got it over turned, as it wasn't in the best interests. That was about 6wks ago. Before morrisons charges came to light.

How ever watch this space as it wont be long before there is no where to park for the floral pavilion and then that will kick off, as DD says cars being displaced to normal parking spaces.

So new Brighton parking descends into chaos no one can park where they need to and no one bothers anymore because £85 does not justify a day out at New Brighton nor never would.
Even more embarrassing for the council, they ordered the two parking meters in Feb 2015 yet the parking charges consultation wasn't to finish until 5 months after that date. The cost of the meters was £9,500.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 6:11pm
New pictre (First post updated)
From Facebook

[Linked Image]

So ANPR cameras are going to be fitted, so no sly moving your car within the car park.

No need for wardens your fine will be in the post.
Posted By: j_demo Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 6:30pm
I'm sure the side streets and the road by the mini-dip between portland and atherton streets will get pretty full pretty quickly.

The parking down there isn't sufficient anyway plus it's badly laid out. I'm really lucky that i'm within walking distance of Marine Point but by installing this lot, i can't see it thriving much longer, before then i know people who drive down, park up in the car park, have a meal, watch a film or go bowling or something, then have a few drinks and leave the car in the Morrisons car park til some point the day after where they'd go back down and get it. Ok you can leave the car there at 6:01pm and pick it up at 9:59 or 12:59 (not sure if the 3 hours max stay starts at 10:00 or if you arrived between 6:00pm and 10:00am you have to be out by 10:00) but you're still under pressure to go and get it by a certain time.

Hopefully if put under enough pressure the charges will get scrapped or the time increased up to a minimum of 5 hours. Also because it's one of them private land charge things, isn't there a letter you can download to dispute the charges and get them wiped??? or have these companies closed that loophole now?
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 21st Dec 2015 11:42pm
I'd challenge that sign as I don't think the average person could read that bottom block of text.
Posted By: palemoon Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 22nd Dec 2015 12:00pm
In fairness to Morrisons, if it is their car park, they need the parking spaces for their customers. They do not want to have their customers' parking limited because of visitors to New Brighton taking up spaces.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 22nd Dec 2015 12:39pm
I don't know if its ALL Morrisons, probably shared between the Units along that side.
Maybe Morrisons may have the car park at the very bottom near the main road, im sure ive seen trolley parks (I cant be sure).

I would easily say in the last few years New Brighton has come back to its Hay Day.
And that is fantastic, the volume of visitors was so great they introduced a free park and ride bus from Harrison Drive.
It was chaos and no spaces to be found, i was parking up beside the station as i knew parking near the front was a waste of time.

I can't see how a 3hr parking limit can relieve that volume of visitors. If your going to put a supermarket in the middle of a resort what are you going to get. Visitors and Tourists wanting to park as close to the attractions as possible.

I think as the fines start rolling out to Locals (Wirral people) the tide will change.
I don't think there is a solution, except let shoppers and visitors just get on with it.

If im planning a day out with cinema and meal and what ever "Hello Cheshire Oaks" i don't have to worry about parking.
And your choice of venue could be that simple.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 22nd Dec 2015 6:40pm
Marine Point Facebook Page say

We would just like to clarify the current situation relating to the car park at Marine Point. Please be aware that the car park is owned and operated by Morrisons and not by Marine Point, as such Morrisons are able to put restrictions in place as they see fit.
Following a number of years with no restrictions, they have found that non-customer usage of the car park has limited the number of spaces available for Marine Point customers. Therefore Morrisons have taken the decision to install a number plate recognition system to try to control the issue of non-customers taking the spaces available.
Although information is limited at the moment, we understand that the system will not be made live until the New Year and that measures will be put in place to protect any genuine Marine Point customers from charges.
The current signage installed in the car park for these restrictions has not been approved and we believe it will be revised to make the restrictions clearer.
We will continue to update you as more information is available to us.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 22nd Dec 2015 6:43pm
As someone pointed out to me,

No return within 2hrs.
You go shopping, ANPR picks you up going in and leaving.
However, you have forgotten an item, turn around to get that item £85 in the post.

Youve been done by the 2hr return rule.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 22nd Dec 2015 11:46pm
A few issues really need pointing out.

First they have not applied or received planning permission for the signs and as they are 0.3 m2 they are classed as advertisements under the town and country planning regulations.
As such any PCNs are not able to be enforced.

The 2 hour return term. My wife and i are equal drivers on both our cars. If my wife went to the car park and did some shopping then comes home. I then take the car within 2 hours and go back totally unaware of my wifes actions. The vehicle has breached the terms of the contract but no one person has. Like to see that held up in a court.

There are many discrepancies in the wording of the signs that wouldnt hold up in court but in reality Parking Eye are not interested in managing the parking with regards to parent and child and disabled spaces. They want lots and lots of £85's for overstays.

I would like to make readers aware that the old ignore advice is outdated. Since the introduction of POFA 2012 these parking leeches can pursue the keeper for the likes of this and not have to prove who the driver was. Parking Eye issued over 30000 court cases in 2014. Many cases were won by default as the defendant didnt turn up. Please do your research and if Parking Eye do target you fight/defend it with help from the people on Pepipoo or the Parking Prankster.
Originally Posted by Blueskier
First they have not applied or received planning permission for the signs and as they are 0.3 m2 they are classed as advertisements under the town and country planning regulations.
As such any PCNs are not able to be enforced.

Lack of planning permission for the signs does not overrule a PCN, they are two separate issues and planning permission has no bearing on the implied contract for parking.

I agree with your two separate drivers argument, the implied contract can only be with a person, not the vehicle. The keeper only has to pay the fine where the driver cannot be identified or there is evidence the car was stolen before it was parked. If you identify it was two different drivers then the onus would be on them to prove otherwise.

I have no idea why Parking Eye doesn't replicate the BPA example sign instead of designing their own from scratch - it doesn't make sense.

No idea why Parking Eye do not copy the BPA code of practice signage.

I wonder if the parking cameras are calibrated to a certified standard? The timing is a critical measurement!
Posted By: Blueskier Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 23rd Dec 2015 12:25pm
Lack of planning permission is illegal, against the law of the land.
A PCN is for breach of contract, a civil action.

I doubt there is a court in the land that would allow a civil action that has followed on from an illegal act.
Failing to follow regulations and requirements is a breach of the BPA code of Practice.
It wont ever stop them issuing the PCN's as they even do it on land they have not been contracted to manage but they will be unenforceable in court.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 23rd Dec 2015 12:40pm
Could they move them on to a lamp post ??
im sure there working the angles as we type.

i agree ho ho ho = £85 £85 £85
Just been down there looking at signage (sad i know), specifically entrance signs. As you go in from Kings Parade there are no signs.
The right hand car park has signs just by the zebra crossing with the cameras located there on posts.
The car park to the left has no signs, no cameras so no restriction.
Mark, move what onto lampposts? the cameras or the signs?
Cameras need planning permission as they are on free standing poles, signs need planning due to their size.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Parking Charges : Morrisons New Brighton - 23rd Dec 2015 9:01pm
I was thinking signs. Thanks for the updates.

I done the same at Aldi prenton when we questioned what and where.
We found that the ANPR at Sainsburys Upton doesn't pick up shorter reg plates, where the first part of the reg is above the second. laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral