Forums
Posted By: Salmon Robots taking over - 14th Sep 2015 3:13pm
Will robots take your job
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33327659
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Robots taking over - 14th Sep 2015 4:45pm
Loads of jobs should have been automated many years ago and the standard working week reduced to match. Too many people living to work - but that's the masters and slaves game and the masters don't want it any other way.

First target should be a 3.5 day working week, half leisure half work.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Robots taking over - 15th Sep 2015 10:16pm
i'll just leave this clickable link here

[Linked Image]
Posted By: starakita Re: Robots taking over - 16th Sep 2015 8:01pm
I just listened to something on the radio & they're making sex robots
Posted By: snowhite Re: Robots taking over - 16th Sep 2015 8:12pm
They would be good for household chores for the ones who are too busy{working} to do housework or other tasks.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Robots taking over - 16th Sep 2015 8:31pm
Originally Posted by starakita

yep--was in the paper yesterday---more technical version of the blow up doll. Might be ok if they do one that doesn't talk
Posted By: snowhite Re: Robots taking over - 16th Sep 2015 8:32pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Originally Posted by starakita

yep--was in the paper yesterday---more technical version of the blow up doll. Might be ok if they do one that doesn't talk
laffin nono
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Robots taking over - 16th Sep 2015 8:47pm
Might be ok if they do one that doesn't talk

I believe the robotic program is called "Software Transforming Female Utterings" or STFU for short shh
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Robots taking over - 17th Sep 2015 9:08pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Might be ok if they do one that doesn't talk

I believe the robotic program is called "Software Transforming Female Utterings" or STFU for short shh

laugh

Posted By: Excoriator Re: Robots taking over - 19th Sep 2015 9:56pm
Most software is crap. I have yet to encounter a program that never crashes!

If AI is software based, and I guess it is what most people are trying for, we have little to fear from robots taking over.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Robots taking over - 20th Sep 2015 10:57am
Windows is much more prone to crash due to the accumulated amount of functions and 3rd party reliance it has to be capable of performing.

I had a Unix system (SVR4) that I had accidentally deleted the boot files, it was used as a server and my development desktop, we had it running 24/7 for over 2 years until we had to update it. Admittedly knowing that it wouldn't reboot meant I double checked everything but the system was clearly stable

I don't remember ever having a crash on CP/M or ZP/M apart from one particular program (I think it was called ZIP but it wasn't the archive program) but I had regular crashes with MP/M even when it was doing relatively mundane stuff.

The reliance on active operating systems is going to introduce instability on any program, it is better to obtain the functionality that you don't want to program from libraries. Complex operating systems with many background functions are bound to to increase the risk of instability. Background functions should be minimised or even abolished if you want stability - it is possible to multi-task with a very minimal amount of background tasks, the multi-tasking switcher I wrote was only about 400 bytes and nothing else ran in the background.

I laugh at firefox, despite their boast of sandboxing some less stable functions, its quite easy to lock it up totally - I think they have a different idea of what a sandbox is from me.

There are many millions of PLC and micro-controller programs running which are stable. There are far more computers running which are unstable.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral