Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 3:13pm
Nasty accident (or deliberate smash and grab). Car smashed into front of Mccolls shop. Police, ambulances on the scene. Looks like a pedal cycle hit on way into the shop. All the more difficult as there is a separate parking road separated from the main road by a pavement with trees along. Probably happened about 3.45pm.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 4:25pm
I deliver to this shop, do hope the staff are Ok,wonder whats gone on,It was robbed a couple months back late at night as they were getting ready to close.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:07pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hole-wall-gang-try-break-9681615

I believe this is the shop however the Echo have details all wrong.
Posted By: granny Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:13pm
Can't imagine how a car has managed to smash into there by accident.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:22pm
Me neither as fish says there's a little slip road in front for parking just off the main road,granny can you confirm that is the shop in Irby village,I recognise the hair salon next door,
The Echo will have you believe its in Southport and was robbed at 3am snob
Posted By: starakita Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:26pm
on another site it's saying an old man got his foot stuck while he was trying to reverse
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:42pm
Sounds about right Claire,I snipped this photo before the Echo edited Hee hee.

Attached picture zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.PNG
Posted By: starakita Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:48pm
is that the shop you deliver to or a different one coz it says Southport
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:52pm
Yeah thats the one in Irby village.
Posted By: granny Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 5:52pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Me neither as fish says there's a little slip road in front for parking just off the main road,granny can you confirm that is the shop in Irby village,I recognise the hair salon next door,
The Echo will have you believe its in Southport and was robbed at 3am snob

The photo you posted, I believe is the shop in Irby. Having just visited our local shop of McColls, they said it was an old man who accidentally reversed ! Taking position of the location, that sounds virtually impossible, looking at the angle the car is facing. !

Posted By: granny Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 6:14pm

A pensioner escaped uninjured after his car crashed through the window of a newsagents in Wirral.

The 88-year-old motorist appeared to have lost control of the vehicle in Thingwall Road, Irby Village this afternoon.

The Ford Zetec hit a lamp post before crashing into the McColl’s shop at 4pm smashing the large front window.

McColl’s staff and customers were evacuated from the shop through a backdoor but no-one inside had been hurt.

No-one from the shop wanted to comment.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pensioner-drives-car-front-wirral-9682102

That doesn't explain why flowers have been laid ?
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 6:17pm
Thanks granny nobody hurt or robbed,nice place Irby very friendly town
Originally Posted by granny

Thats the remains of the flower stand they have outside.
Posted By: starakita Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 6:18pm
Looks like a display outside the shop for flowers
Posted By: granny Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 6:19pm
Yes, you are probably right. Thank goodness.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 17th Jul 2015 9:48pm
Ouch... thank goodness no-one was hurt. My Dad's 88 and still driving competently, but if you have an accident at that age I think you would be under very close scrutiny to make sure it was an isolated incident and you're still capable!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 18th Jul 2015 3:16pm
Seeing that little road is parallel to the main road is normally one way, how on earth did he get 90degrees in that little road, it's too narrow to do a 23 point turn and it's just as easy to carry on and do a turnaround in the carpark, I'am amazed, so long as only pride was hurt and nobody else was, the insurers will do the rest
Posted By: granny Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 20th Jul 2015 10:12am
His insurance could be pretty high from now on.

He was trying to do parallel parking and put his foot on the wrong pedal.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 20th Jul 2015 10:26am
Maybe the car had automatic transmission and he "braked" using the accelerator ? Panic sets in! Dong! A frequent occurrance.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 20th Jul 2015 2:57pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Maybe the car had automatic transmission and he "braked" using the accelerator ? Panic sets in! Dong! A frequent occurrance.

Exactly what my ex. did years ago in a cinema car park. She refused to have an auto after that.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 20th Jul 2015 5:33pm
I`ll try and find out in the morning,to me, it looks like he`s attempted to reverse park and shot up the pavement,clipping the tree with his front end and knocking the bike stand down before plowing into the shop front with the back end.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 20th Jul 2015 7:13pm
Like to know how he managed to extricate the car from the window and from the bent bike stand and park back in front of the bike stand on the slip road as photo.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Irby Village Serious Accident - 21st Jul 2015 4:40pm
The manager tells me he was parked at the side and got his foot jammed between the throttle and behind the brake pedal,

After clipping the tree he knocked over the bike stand and into the corner of the window and door frame which was strong enough to stop the car having pushed the frame back a couple of inches,

still unsure weather the car was auto/manual,

The old gentleman lives local and is thought to be Ok.

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral