Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX H.M.S Plymouth - 16th Aug 2014 2:47pm
Apparently, she is due to leave today to be scrapped. A group of people are trying to organise a protest by refusing to move from the Four Bridges thus un-enabling the bridge to lift, for the ship to pass.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAVE.HMS.PLYMOUTH.OPEN/
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 17th Aug 2014 10:35am
Waste of time protesting unless you've got the dosh to save the poor old girl. Sad end to a fighting vessel but it's always the way.
oldman
Posted By: chriskay Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 17th Aug 2014 10:55am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
un-enabling the bridge to lift,

"Preventing" is a useful word. wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 17th Aug 2014 5:00pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
un-enabling the bridge to lift,

"Preventing" is a useful word. wink
Thanks Chris, from now on I will endeavor to improve my word choice with context optimised vocabularly suggestions. This page would be well up your street if you have facebook. www.facebook.com/grammarly laugh Warning, it may make your eyes bleed!!
Posted By: Wally1 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 19th Aug 2014 11:57pm
Tug Amber II now showing destination Aliaga Turkey
(shipbreakers). Two Smit tugs now in Vittoria
Dock. According to Twitter she will be moved
at 04:00 and in river by 06:00.
Posted By: madrob Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 20th Aug 2014 7:23am
Hms plymouth gone
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 20th Aug 2014 7:51am
Abreast of Seaforth Docks now. Doing 4knots. (If I've homed in on the right tug)
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 20th Aug 2014 7:57am
On the camera at Perch Rock, Wirralcam.
my thoughts say thanks Peel Ports may you go the same way one day.
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 20th Aug 2014 7:43pm
cry PEEL holdings I hope you rot in hell!!!!!!!!! and sink to the bottom of the river mersey you idiots!! idiot .
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 21st Aug 2014 11:23pm
Hang on, has anybody given thought to the fact the original owners may have owed rent areas?
its been in the docks for years.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 22nd Aug 2014 6:29am
Just to let you know, AIS is showing that the tug Amber II must still be towing HMS Plymouth and is about 40 miles away but level with Penzance,now doing 6knots, I presume her course is across the Bay of Biscay, keeping away from other shipping.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 22nd Aug 2014 7:02am
Thanks for the ongoing info. Dave. I've been following her progress on the AIS site - a great absorber of time. It looks like she's giving Bishop Rock LH a wide berth!
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 22nd Aug 2014 7:41pm
AIS is out of range since 11:30 ish.

this link is to her AIS page, so if the tug comes back online, it will point to her on the map.

Notice the arrival in Turkey date.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/249122000
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 24th Aug 2014 4:47pm
Amber II tug with HMS Plymouth has traversed the Bay of Biscay and is about 80 miles away nearly level with the top end of the Spanish coast, her AIS is back on line.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 25th Aug 2014 11:17am
Amber II tug, with HMS Plymouth in tow is now about 80miles out to sea, parallel with the Spanish/Portuguese border,
Posted By: alann Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 25th Aug 2014 3:08pm
follow the fight to save her, go to the face book page,---save hms plymouth
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 26th Aug 2014 8:14am
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 20 miles away from Lisbon, it has got closer to the coast about 10 miles off, I wonder if it's stopping at Lisbon services for a bit of diesel and the toilets, it's still only half way to Turkey and is due on the 7th of next month, HMS Plymouth is lost from being saved and will end up at the scrappy long before anything can be done, besides it's on the high seas with a foreign owner and I don't think it will stop at Gibraltar just to be arrested.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 26th Aug 2014 9:49am
She'll be back.

Let's face it, she is being scrapped in Turkey, them most probably recycled in China, then sold back to us as cheap Chinese goods laugh
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 26th Aug 2014 11:21pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 25 miles past Lisbon doing 6knots, so I think that they will reach the straits of Gibraltar by tomorrow night.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 28th Aug 2014 9:03pm
Amber II and HMS Plymouth is about to go through the Straits of Gibraltar, they are on the correct path on the African side of the Straits, the tug has speeded up to 7 knots, I was a day out.
Posted By: mikroc Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 28th Aug 2014 9:14pm
That won't be back now
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 28th Aug 2014 11:31pm
Amber II tug with HMS Plymouth has just passed Gibralter doing 7.9 knots and is in the shipping lanes more towards the African side or is driving on the RHS in the Mediterranean sea.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 31st Aug 2014 3:30pm
Amber tug and HMS Plymouth last AIS signal puts them about 200miles from Algiers and about 60miles off the African coast
Posted By: madrob Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 3rd Sep 2014 4:02pm
Tunisia

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 4th Sep 2014 4:09pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is just passing between Malta a Sicily according to AIS.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 6th Sep 2014 10:42pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 25 miles off the coast of Greece according to AIS,
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 7th Sep 2014 7:57pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 180 miles away Aliaga? it's scrap yard according to AIS 3 hours ago, both are in the Aegean sea.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 8th Sep 2014 6:54pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 6okm away the Aliaga scrappy, I presume tomorrow is when the tugs leaves the Plymouth with the scrappy.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 8th Sep 2014 11:27pm
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is about 20km away the Aliaga scrappy from AIS, I expect she will be left with the scrappy while we sleep,.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 7:04am
Amber II with HMS Plymouth is at the Aliaga scrappy it looks as if she is waiting permission as AIS track shows it doing big circle at two knots.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 9:28am
Still going around in circles off the scrappy, still running at 2 knots, looks like HMS Plymouth is not liking what's going to happen to it. laugh
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 11:14am
HMS Plymouth is now being towed in to the scrappy by two tugs, Amber II tug is making it's way into the bay at 5knots ,I presume to refuel and head to Malta, their goes another bit of our history, sad.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 12:34pm
Ais has Amber II anchored off Aliaga town in the bay and a tug Pantodynamos towing at 0.8knots from the last AmberII position as she was one of the two tugs, it seems HMS Plymouth is now gone or will soon be.
Posted By: granny Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 1:34pm
Davew3,I have watched this journey with great interest, and thank you for keeping us updated.

Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 4:07pm
I think we have a twist, can't prove it but I believe she is on tow at 8knots and is going to Braila in Romania as above two tugs picked her up from AmberII and I thought that was the end I checked out the tugs names on the AIS and one was a small tug and the other was a seagoing tug, sort of left it at that and when I came back the track of the seagoing tug instead of going to the scrappy, had turned out to sea, the AIS has it showing restricted manoeuvrability doing 8 knots and her destination is Romania.

I missed out the smaller tug buzzed off at 12knots

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/7038642/vessel:PANTODYNAMOS
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 9th Sep 2014 5:08pm
This tug is now doing 11knots and now not showing restricted manoeuvrability but under way, it's tracking at Aliaga is also wierd but then I couldn't find Amber II until I went and used the link I have been on all week, still think HMS Plymouth is under tow by the Pantodynamos, I can only think different captains, different idea's
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 10th Sep 2014 9:25am
The tug is still doing 11 knots and is half way down the sea of Mamara.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 10th Sep 2014 6:31pm
Tug anchored off Istanbul along with about 30 other ships, must be a one way system into the Black sea.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 7:25am
Thanks for keeping a watch on this sad trip. No doubt we'll be seeing her again - in the form of cheapo Chinese razor blades!
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 9:16am
Keeps reminding me of that painting of an old sailing ship going the breakers, very sad, but no painting our history going this time, the only sight we have is that lovely picture further up the commentary of it being towed in the Med.

The tug, left it's anchorage about 2am our time and entered the Black sea a few hours later,the Ais hasn't reported for about two hours which means she must be cutting across, had a look on Google maps of her destination lots of shipping laid up but mostly large river barges, as I can't prove she's towing the Plymouth I feel a bit of a fraud, but it's route into the Turkish scrappy and the route the AmberII match and the ais did report is was towing, trying another way to get info, have asked one of the guys from the Radio officers association to ask his mafia have they seen the Plymouth, might work.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 1:12pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Keeps reminding me of that painting of an old sailing ship going the breakers

This one?

Turner
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 1:32pm
That's the one Gibbo, beautifly sad, if their such a word.

The tug is halfway to the river she will use to get to her destination still doing 11knots
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 7:23pm
The tug is about 50 miles from the Danube and where it does a bit of left hand down a bit and goes to Braila, doing about 8knots where it's due at 6:00am UTC tomorrow.
Posted By: Santos Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 11th Sep 2014 7:50pm
The oil Painting is entitled The Fighting Temeraire
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 12th Sep 2014 7:11am
The tug I'm following is moving along the waterways, between Ukraine and Rumania the waterway is the International border,as I will be out all day, I won't be able to watch the Ais route to see if I could work out if it was towing HMS Plymouth.

Bye HMS Plymouth, interesting journey, it shows how it's possible to move banned materials around the world, just wonder if the permission to move the ship was given for scrapping in Turkey, we will never know.
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 12th Sep 2014 7:29pm
As I've just got back in, checked on Ais the tug is anchored in the river, google maps shows the area could well be a scrappy, hull of one ship is shown, but the Map could be two year or more , sadly that's it .
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 12th Sep 2014 8:53pm

Should put it on a short link, but then but, but mmmm but, so I never, this is the place where the tug is anchored off.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Br%C4%83ila,+Romania/@45.246854,27.962608,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s3446698!2e1!3e10!4m2!3m1!1s0x40b6d62ac5c69441:0x688e3ee9bf757c9e

Posted By: daveybm Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 13th Sep 2014 8:44am
The Plymouth Herald has a couple of pictures of HMS Plymouth on the beach at Aliaga:-
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/New...h-coast/story-22915685-detail/story.html

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 13th Sep 2014 9:13am
According to the link, Peel Ports ("ting" goes the spittoon) may not have been the owners of the Plymouth after all (?). Interesting........?

As a slight aside, if you type "Peel Ports barstard" into Google, there are some VERY interesting and informative pieces. Take time to read the Liverpool related ones in particular.

NB. Wiki naughty word sniffer puts the parental doubt word in the singular. Add the "s" when putting it into Google!
Posted By: davew3 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 13th Sep 2014 12:21pm
Well pictures tell the tale, using Ais gives you an idea with the routes, but is not a picture, as said it looked as if it was being towed, still sad .
Posted By: daveybm Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 1st Oct 2014 9:04am
HMS Plymouth has apparently met the gas axe:-
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Cam...crapped/story-23021010-detail/story.html

Dave
Posted By: granny Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 1st Oct 2014 12:00pm
Peel Holdings own Mersey Docks and Harbour Board so surely if the MOD sold it to the Warship Trust, they would have been the owners until Peel told them they had to move from Peels land...thus resulting in closure if the 'Historic Warships'.
Presumably, Peel will have taken possession of HMS Plymouth if she was left on their land.
Just a thought.
Posted By: bert1 Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 1st Oct 2014 12:23pm
Here may be of interest, Granny, posts made 30 Sept.

http://www.hmsplymouth.co.uk/newboard/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1494&start=195
Posted By: granny Re: H.M.S Plymouth - 1st Oct 2014 12:50pm
Thanks Bert.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral