Forums
Posted By: Greenwood Telephone preference service phone scam - 21st Jul 2014 6:26pm
My Dad (87) has just been hit by this clever scam - they sounded so respectable, he said! - and kissed goodbye to £79.99 for - allegedly! - three years cover against nuisance calls, and a gadget to stop them. He even gave out his debit card details to these creeps - I thought he was smarter than that! The £79.99 has gone, but we've had his card blocked. The genuine Telephone Preference Service is free. He rang me up, quite pleased with himself, and told me what he'd done, and I said 'you did WHAT?!*' then the damage limitation commenced. *sigh*
Posted By: Uffda Re: Telephone preference service phone scam - 23rd Jul 2014 4:56pm
So sorry to hear your Dad has been taken in by these .... Can you complain to trading standards? They have been very helpful to me in the past.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Telephone preference service phone scam - 24th Jul 2014 12:44am
raise a complaint to the bank, they should be able to refund it

might have to fill out some forms to do it though
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Telephone preference service phone scam - 25th Jul 2014 2:48pm
I think it's on the way to being sorted out now. Turns out it's not an actual evil scam as such, just an unregulated company with a name suspiciously similar to Telephone Preference Service - Telecom Protection Service! Intentionally misleading name, especially if you're 87 and the hearing aid's not quite up to scratch. A whole bunch of such companies are listed on the actual TPS website. Other people similarly taken in have had refunds, so we're sending back the gadget that arrived today, and hopefully he will get his money back. Phew!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral