Forums
Posted By: ASE71 John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 12:17pm
Just drove past and there is a fire engine, 2 ambulances and an incident support unit at John Hemmingway in Wallasey village. What's gone on?..
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 12:52pm
Where about is this please ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 12:54pm
It's at wallasey village roundabout ,I just drove past also ..no idea what's going on but they have taped off the property.
Posted By: j_demo Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 1:06pm
I was in nicki's barber salon having my barnet chopped as it happened. It goes like this: an 83 year old woman was in there having her hair (and possibly nails) done for her birthday when someone brought her a birthday cake and as she leaned over to blow it out her cape/poncho thing they put on you to do your hair went up because it was covered in hairspray, she has suffered severe burns to her body + head and staff tried to put it out and received burns themselves. She was stretchered outside into an ambulance but the ambulance didn't move for a while, must have been treating her in the back of it. At one point there were 3 ambulances, a fire engine, a fire brigade "incident investigation unit" and a police car. I have photos of them and the area taped. Off which I'll upload when I get home if anyone wants me to. Hope she recovers soon.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 1:17pm
Omg! Hope she recovers.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 2:13pm
That is tragic. frown
Posted By: Dilly Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 2:18pm
so sad to get to that age and for something like that to happen.
hope it is not as serious as it sounds.
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 2:21pm
Aww bless i hope she makes a full recovery
Posted By: ASE71 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 2:29pm
They should know you are not permitted any form of naked flame in a salon. Hairspray, chemicals , bleaches all over the place. Very sad indeed.
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 5:00pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-18754270
Posted By: jaki1 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 5:13pm
god, i hope everyone's ok.
Posted By: Mrweb Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 5:31pm
Birthday cake while having your hair done!!
Some people are just thick.
Hope all are ok.
Posted By: Dilly Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 5:35pm
Mrweb think that statment was out of order.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 5:38pm
Awwww hope she is ok
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 6:14pm
Originally Posted by Mrweb
Birthday cake while having your hair done!!
Some people are just thick.
Hope all are ok.

No need for that comment what so ever.we are all wiser after the event. Am sure we have all on occation done something we should not have and had to live with the Consequences.Does not mean we are thick.
Hope this lady and the person who got burnt make a full recovery
Posted By: ASE71 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 6:26pm
Originally Posted by dilly
Mrweb think that statment was out of order.

Why? The staff should have known its a very bad idea. Allowing a naked flame into their salon would indicate they are a bit thick or stupid, you pick the correct word.

The staff have a duty of care for their clients and should never have allowed it to happen.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 6:30pm
In all honesty
I wouldn't allow it in my salon but aslong as the person is ok is the main thing
Takes something like this to make them realise health and safty rules that are on the wall yet not read
And that should be read !
Posted By: Mrweb Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 8:10pm
Apologies if my comment was out of order, but this should not have happened in the first place. Yes we have accidents and have to suffer the consequences but this had "BAD IDEA" all over it. People like this have made health safety the way it is today. Years ago it was called common sense.
I hope all involved are ok, how awful for them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 8:36pm
here here mrweb your forgiven
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 7th Jul 2012 8:57pm
Think Sarah hit the nail on the head health and saftey rules.
the shop staff/owner should not of allowed the candles.
Posted By: spanner82 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 8th Jul 2012 8:40am
Come on people, has no one ever done anything in a split second without thinking about it? The shop owner might have not even seen someone light a candle. He is in hospital being treated for burns after trying to help this poor woman.
Posted By: Dilly Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 8th Jul 2012 9:37am
it was the word thick that shocked me, Iam sure we have all made mistakes we regret. Hope both are recovering well.
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 8th Jul 2012 9:39am
it was the word thick that shocked me, Iam sure we have all made mistakes we regret. Hope both are recovering well.

ditto
Posted By: Zubee Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 9th Jul 2012 11:51pm
Saw John Hemmingway tonight, he does have burnt arms and hands but not severe. He's gutted about what happened to this lady, she's a regular and much liked customer.

She's in Whiston Hospital and fingers crossed she'll hopefully be ok.
Posted By: Mark Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 10th Jul 2012 7:41am
wikiopinion
Posted By: Santos Re: John Hemmingway Wallasey - 10th Jul 2012 8:18am

To have a naked flame in a salon full of inflammable vapours and materials covered in such things, is certainly not the cleverest of things to do. I would have thought that the words 'seriously unwise ' to put it mildly, could well be attributed to whoever allowed or thought of the idea, especially as it would appear by previous posts to happen on a regular basis. It is amazing that it has not happened before. I should imagine that the Health and Safety authorities will be studying this accident carefully.

Whether or not people make mistakes, there is no excuse, this kind of action borders on the extremes of foolishness and could easily have resulted in the poor lady's death.

It will be interesting to see the results of the on going enquiries.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral