Forums
Posted By: Lil_bird Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 11:58am
Just spotted this on Mersey Mag, please warn any elderly family members and neighbours in the area

Mersey Magazine

Hope I have correctly placed link, if not it is details about a distraction burglary of an 80 year old man in Dawson Ave Birkenhead last week

Originally Posted by merseymagazine
Detectives are appealing for witnesses following a distraction burglary in Birkenhead.
Officers were called to Dawson Avenue on January 5, after receiving a report that at around 2.30pm two offenders posing as repair men had stolen a quantity of cash from the home of a man in his 80s.
The pair asked the victim if they could fix his guttering for a charge of £20. After the
victim agreed one of the men then asked if he could use the toilet and subsequently stole a large amount of cash before leaving without carrying out the work.
One of the men is described as white, around 5ft 7in tall and of stocky build. He spoke with an Irish accent and was wearing a yellow high visibility jacket, blue jeans and work boots. He was driving a white low loader van with sides.
A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: “This was a despicable offence preying on an elderly vulnerable man.
“We urge anyone who may have seen two men acting suspiciously around the area, or who has been approached by the men to carry out repair work, to call us in case they have vital information that could help this investigation.
“We would also like to remind people to be on their guard against bogus officials and unsolicited callers as well as to keep an eye out for vulnerable neighbours and relatives.”
The following information could prevent you from becoming a victim of a distraction burglary:

Do not open your door if you are unsure of who the caller is.
Always keep the key chain on the door while talking to the caller and check their identity before letting them into your home.
Keep the door closed while checking the identity of the caller by ringing the company they’re purporting to be from such as the gas, water or electricity boards or the council. Use the telephone numbers listed in your local directory or provided independently by your service provider and not any numbers provided by the caller as they may be false.
Never leave large amounts of money in your home – put it in the bank or post office where it is safe.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call Wirral CID on 0151 777 2265, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 1:57pm
mad

Pikeys!
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 2:05pm
This again
Posted By: johnny Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 2:07pm
well that's a coincidence as the irish travellers living on unit 5 tarran way south have a irish accent and a white pick up with sides on it
just an observation
oh and they always have hi viz jackets on too
Posted By: Jessielove Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 4:15pm
mad That's just not nice at all people are not correct these days robbing from elderly people mad
Posted By: Silverback Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 4:31pm
Would have been a lot better if they had reported it as 'Distraction burglary in Price St area', instead of pointing future ... straight to the poor old sod.
Posted By: Davefabo Re: Distraction Burglars - 17th Jan 2012 4:54pm
this is a horrendous crime that happens far too often to elderly and vulnerable people.

The offenders when caught usually (and quite rightly) get fairly heavy sentences.

If you have elderly neighbours or relatives it must be drummed into them never to trust a cold caller tradesman. If in doubt phone the police or a relative or friend who lives close by.
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Distraction Burglars - 18th Jan 2012 10:39am
I agree entirely Dave, we must be sure to warn all our elderly family, friends and neighbours.That was my main aim in posting this thread. These people are ... preying on the most vulnerable in our communities. Thanks to Mark for adding quote (am still quite new to this and wouldn't have been able to do so myself) Hope these evil creatures get what's coming to them one day soon.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Distraction Burglars - 18th Jan 2012 3:18pm
No matter what they are after, if I haven't arranged for someone to come and see me I tell them that I'm not interested and shut the door. A bit cruel if someone is only doing their job but my safety and that of my missus is paramount. I don't actually know if I've had blaggers or not. I have a notice on my door saying that I don't deal with cold callers but they still knock, so why should I deal with anyone who can't read?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral