Forums
Posted By: gingevans Geminids meteor shower - 12th Dec 2014 6:12pm
Anyone who is in to stargazing & astronomy might be interested to know that the Geminids meteor shower can be seen tonight & will peak on sunday. Upto a possible 120 per hour can be seen. You may see them from around 10pm but best from 12am till dawn. They radiate from the gemini constellation (to the left of orions belt) in the east (look towards liverpool from the wirral) but can be seen coming from all sorts of directions in the night sky. You don't need any specific equipment, so anyone can view it, weather permitting. Even broken cloud won't dampen the effect too much as the Geminids is one of the brightest and best meteor showers of the year.
So if your out late & see a bright flash in the sky, you've probably just witnessed a meteor crashing into the earths atmosphere.

Happy viewing.
I will post any photos if i manage to capture any.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Geminids meteor shower - 12th Dec 2014 7:49pm
Thanks for that. About 6 oktas here at the moment, so not much chance. Forecast to clear later though. Fingers crossed.
Posted By: gingevans Re: Geminids meteor shower - 12th Dec 2014 9:37pm
met office is showing clear skies later so yeah, fingers crossed. hope its a good show.
Posted By: gingevans Re: Geminids meteor shower - 12th Dec 2014 9:56pm
just been in the garden for a smoke. spotted 1 faint one & 2 good meteors streak across the sky.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Geminids meteor shower - 13th Dec 2014 4:24am
Just been out for a while - suitably togged up. Saw 3 really bright ones and a couple of weaker efforts. Mostly from overhead and shooting N or NW. One SW and much slower? 100% clear sky now. Bright moon didn't do much for the night vision. Well worth peeling the mattress of my back for !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Geminids meteor shower - 13th Dec 2014 5:06am
May be of interest.......
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...zling-meteor-shower-tonight-9920312.html

Posted By: gingevans Re: Geminids meteor shower - 13th Dec 2014 9:26am
twas a good night for viewing meteors lastnight. I must have spotted in the region of about 30 or more. Started off in my backgarden till about 12:30am then drove down to thurstaston beach & stayed till 2:30am, its amazing how much more detail you can see when u limit the amount of light pollution. got some nice photos of the night sky but a photo of a meteor remains elusive, i think i need to purchase a wide angled lens for my Nikon DSLR.

I'll be out again on sunday night when the geminids is at its peak. will be hoping for more clear skies.

If anyone got their own photos of the geminids, can u upload them.
Cheers. Keep watching the skies!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral