Forums
Posted By: JGL4693 Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 11:33am
In two minds whether to get a hybrid bike for the first time, instead of the usual chunky tire mountain bike.

The majority of rides will be road/track with a little off-road terrain so a hybrid will be more suitable, especially for speed etc. However, you can't beat the look of a good mountain bike!

Any views from people have owned both? Or any general comments happy
Posted By: j_demo Re: Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 11:48am
function over fashion where bike's are concerned mate.

also you get what you pay for...

a hybrid would almost certainly be much better for you in terms of what you want vs suitability for the job. a dual-suspension mountain bike would be majorly surplus to requirements also so if you did want to go down the mountain bike route, get a front-suspension-only as you will get much more quality for your money. rear suspension is only really necessary for downhill trails and the like, 95% of people who have rear suspension don't need it at all. just get a decent bike with some decent front suspension travel and you'll be fine... that is if you went down the mountain bike route.
Posted By: JGL4693 Re: Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 2:25pm
I think I'm leaning towards the hybrid because I've had my fair share of decent mountain bikes in the past Scott, GT, Claud Butler etc. All of which front suspension and front and rear disc brake (wouldn't go for rear suspension). But there doesn't seem a lot of point in getting one this time round, I'm not going to be doing any regular llandegla trips or anything - just mainly down the prom and down to hoylake for fitness and perhaps a little off road terrain.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 2:53pm
yeh i agree.

i've currently got a few hundred quids worth of Marin mountain bike (front sus only) but at the moment, even that is a bit surplus to requirements really most of the time. i've got V brakes on mine but i prefer them because you can 'tab' V brakes, Disc brakes are 'on' or 'off' and a good set of V brakes is better than a low to mid range set of disc brakes i find but i can't stand disc brakes either...

i don't know what your budget is but Marin and Dawes do some great hybrids, though a bit hugher priced than your GT, Scott, Claud Butler and the like bikes, as i said, you get what you pay for. I personally find CB, GT and Scott bikes feel 'cheap' but that's just my experience.

as above, i'd recommend Marin or Dawes but again, depends on your budget.
Posted By: JGL4693 Re: Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 3:59pm
I'm the opposite, I like my disc brakes.. Not really an issue on this occasion though, I'd happily have V's.

I think its either looking like a Marin, Cannondale or Scott. Budget is roughly £450-550.

Here's a few:

http://www.birkenheadcycles.co.uk/m9b0s18p3090/SCOTT-Metrix-40-2014

http://www.birkenheadcycles.co.uk/m9b0s18p2974/MARIN-San-Rafael-DS3-2014

http://www.birkenheadcycles.co.uk/m9b0s18p3100/CANNONDALE-Quick-6-2014
Posted By: j_demo Re: Hybrid or Mountain Bike? - 9th Apr 2014 6:03pm
the Scott's specs aren't too bad there though you'll want to change the tyres. the Marin has decent starting tyres and decent specs, but obviously a bit more cost. - if you were to get the Scott and change the tyres, i recommend you get DMR SuperMoto's or DMR MotoDigger's

here's a few i've seen on Evans Cycles who have a shop in Liverpool

Specialized Crosstrail Disc 2014 £450

Trek 8.3 DS 2014 £475

GT Transeo 3 2014 £549

out of the 3, i'd probably go for the Trek to be honest.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral