Forums
Posted By: Uffda New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 25th Nov 2013 4:59pm
A friend of mine and I are starting a craft group in the new year. It will be in Harvest Court, Harvest Lane, Moreton starting from 9th January 2014 6.30-8.30pm.
It will be a casual weekly Thursday group where people interested in any type of crafts can get together to craft and chat. It's hoped that some members will share their knowledge but if you just want to join us and knit or sew or make cards that's okay.
£2 per session to cover cost for the room rental. Tea and coffee available.
Please spread the word to anyone who might be interested.
Posted By: Wench Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 30th Dec 2013 2:13pm
So glad I have found this post! I lost my crafting mojo many years ago but in the past month or two, it has returned with a vengeance smile I am currently attempting to learn how to crochet, having mastered how to knit in the past few weeks.

I am just sad that it clashes with the course I am going on though frown
Posted By: Uffda Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 1st Jan 2014 3:54pm
So sorry you won't be able to join us but hopefully our group will be going for years and years so if your course finishes or you find yourself free on a Thursday evening pop along.
We seem to have people interested in most crafts wanting to come. I need to make a quilt for a friend of a friend so if anyone wants to learn how to quilt, I'm happy to show anyone.
Posted By: Wench Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 1st Jan 2014 3:59pm
I will do smile I have quilting on my list so would be glad of some help to make sure I am doing it right smile I have managed to crochet a lop sided mutant pretzel so far haha. I don't think it's meant to look like that think
Posted By: Uffda Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 1st Jan 2014 5:17pm
I know what you mean, I tried to crochet some pot holders for a charity but couldn't get the tension right so instead of six identical items ended up with six weirdly shaped freaks.
What I hope will be useful about the group is that people can try other crafts and get advice from other members without fully committing themselves to buying lots of materials and then deciding it's not for them. I've done quite a lot of quilting, sewing and card making but I know we are going to have some knitters joining us.
Posted By: Wench Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 1st Jan 2014 7:32pm
Hahaha - I was told you are either a knitter or crocheter. I will stick with it though. I fancy quilting as it's a good way to get rid of all the scraps of material that are left over from other projects. Do you do personal lessons or help/tutorials?
Posted By: Uffda Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 2nd Jan 2014 11:31am
I'm not an expert but have made about five or six full size quilts and quite a few cot quilts for charity. I've been commissioned by a friend of a friend to make a quilt for him which is quite good as I'm not working and am happy to make a bit of extra money doing the thing I love.
If you have fabric then that is a help, as to buy quilting fabric for a double quilt will cost about £80-£100.
I'm happy to give you a few pointers, just PM me if you're interested. The most difficult part of quilting is putting all three layers together without wrinkling the bottom layer etc. There is a technique called 'quilt as you go' which is dead easy and you can make a quilt in no time at all.
Just let me know if you want a hand.
Posted By: Uffda Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 2nd Jan 2014 11:35am
If anyone is serious about learning to quilt from an expert, I'd recommend Maureen Crawford who does courses at Voirrey, Brimstage Hall. I learned from her and she's great. There is also a woman called Dot Sherlock who sells quilting fabric form her home in Prenton. She definitely has the best range and prices in Merseyside. I would go to her for fabric before Abakhans or Voirrey.
Posted By: Sarah8484 Re: New Craft Group From 9th Jan 2014 - 24th Feb 2014 9:15pm
Hiya,

Is this still happening on a Thursday evening?

Thanks
Sarah
© Wirral-Wikiwirral