Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 5:36pm
does anyone know if Humbrol Enamel ( or similar) paint will paint onto stainless steel ?
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 6:23pm
You can paint on stainless steel, but you MUST provide a key first and the metal should also ideally be painted with an acid etch primer to provide an even better key to prevent peeling or lifting.

However it would also depend on what or the area you intend to paint.

PB
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 6:43pm
where would i get the acid etch primer ? i basically want to dull down some shiny stainless fishing stuff
Posted By: Snodvan Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 7:03pm
Hammerite do a primer that takes on most metals. It is a water based emulsion. Yukky "rust" colour. Couple of thin coats will do the job for you. HOWEVER, personally I will be surprised in Humbrol Matt Black does not work fine on its own. Sure, it will need a touch up every so often but you can cope with that

Snod
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 10:06pm
yeah i dont mind if the item looks a bit tatty, i just want to dull them down, did consider gaffa tape but it will just get shitty in no time.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 10:08pm
Acid etch primer can by purchased at a car paint outlet, even Halfords sell it, ideally you want it in an aerosol for easy application as you only need an inky coat to provide the key, Acid etch does not required a smothered coat.

Hammerite special metals primer will also work for stainless steel but you will have to make sure the Humbrol painted over the top is compatible, whereas any paint painted over an acid etch would be compatible.

Personally I don't have much faith in Hammerite since they changed the formulae some time ago, it does not offer the same durability it once had.

PB
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 10:13pm
after acid etching do you clean it off before painting ?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: painting stainless steel - 1st Mar 2012 10:13pm
i did consider getting them powder coated but it was going to cost far too much
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: painting stainless steel - 2nd Mar 2012 2:24am
You just spray the etch primer on and paint over it when its dry, best to use thinners or white spirit to ensure its oil/grease free first.

If you just want to dull the stainless a bit, you can turn it into brushed stainless with wirewool or sandpaper (not sure what grit, I'd probably start around 400 and see what happened)
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: painting stainless steel - 2nd Mar 2012 11:44am
thanks DD
© Wirral-Wikiwirral