Forums
Posted By: Neil_c English Electric Lightning - 2nd Jan 2012 7:20pm
Visited Bruntingthorpe EE Lightning back in Nov. Some pics and movies of the plane in action. This was the RAF's fastest plane and still holds a number of world records to this day. Good value for £20.

[youtube]7IU_d56aO3E[/youtube]

Video of the plane taking of in S. Africa

[youtube]_CDLbokf9sg[/youtube]

Attached picture IMG00109-20111112-1432.jpg
Attached picture PB120935.JPG
Attached picture PB120933.JPG
Attached picture PB120927.JPG

Description: Plane gets towed to runaway
Attached picture PB120950.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: English Electric Lightning - 2nd Jan 2012 7:39pm
Two engines with a few bits of aircraft wrapped around them, leaked every type of fluid on board all over the place - but an amazing machine, even still.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: English Electric Lightning - 2nd Jan 2012 7:43pm
I was seriously considering going to S. Africa Thundercity and flying in one. Unfortunately one of them suffered a hydrallic failure back in 2009 and killed the pilot. The cause of the crash was attributed to the ejector seat not being serviced.

They are rebuilding one in the USA at the moment. http://www.lightning422supporters.co.uk/

Posted By: dave_h Re: English Electric Lightning - 2nd Jan 2012 8:40pm
would love to try the mig-29 fab piece of kit that is
Posted By: Wench Re: English Electric Lightning - 3rd Jan 2012 4:15pm
I've got one of the 30mm shell casings from that! It's one of my prized possessions grin
Posted By: parkgater Re: English Electric Lightning - 3rd Jan 2012 4:49pm
Fantastic photos and video,well done.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: English Electric Lightning - 3rd Jan 2012 7:39pm
Here is an interesting documentary about the lightning, with interviews from Roland Beamont, EE's test pilot who first flew the P1A (The prototype that would become the lightning).

The P1A is on display in Manchester.

[youtube]dGib_T_MY6k[/youtube]

Attached picture 800px-Manchester_MOSI_English_Electric_Lightning_P1A_18-10-2009_12-10-46.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: English Electric Lightning - 3rd Jan 2012 8:32pm
Lucky enough to have seen them live and flying, bloody awe inspiring stuff. The Typhoon is the only other thing I've seen close to it. The Bucanneer was another heartstopper but slower.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: English Electric Lightning - 3rd Jan 2012 9:30pm
The UK CAA will not allow them to fly in this country on the civil register due to many reasons including in-service safety record, lack of spares and no backing from the design authority (BAe). Many of the airframes have used all their available fatigue index.

The chances of BAe or the RAF restoring one to flight are somewhere between slim and none.

The guys at Brunthingthorpe LPG (shown in the pics) do a fantastic job of keeping the planes for fast taxi runs.

www.lightnings.org.uk

The only lightnings that might fly again are the 3 remaining airworthy jets that belonged to Thundercity or the one being restored in the USA, but sadly it won't happen in the UK.

Shame that you'd have to go to another country to see a part of our history in action; it certainly will be the last, fully British jet fighter.

Attached picture YsterplaatLightning2.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral