Forums
Posted By: DavidB Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 12:09am
Has anyone done this before? I'm looking at getting away to Europe (Holland/France/Germany?) over the festive period or extending over new year's eve.
Never been away over this period, no idea what hotels are like or how much they cost?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 12:15am
you may find you've left it a bit late now, you'd be suprised how full places get over christmas. some nice small cheap ski resorts in france though.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 12:42am
Prague is brilliant at Christmas. So is Munich. Lincoln in UK has a fantastic Christmas market too, if you can't get abroad. :-) There is also a Dickensian Christmas market in Ulverston where you can see all the locals dressed up like characters in his novels. Ulverston also has a brilliant Laurel & Hardy museum (Stan Laurel was born there!) You can watch non-stop movies of theirs if you like them, followed by mulled wine (or real ale if you prefer) at several local hostelries. (Jeez-I should've been a tour guide!!) :-)
Posted By: MikeT Re: Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 7:11am
Originally Posted by DavidB
Has anyone done this before? I'm looking at getting away to Europe (Holland/France/Germany?) over the festive period or extending over new year's eve.

You've left it far too late I'm afraid. Best time to look and book would be about August (not joking). You may find something but will pay well over the odds.

Posted By: DavidB Re: Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 3:54pm
I thought so! Thanks!
Flights are so cheap out to France as well.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Going away over xmas? - 27th Nov 2011 4:38pm
We booked Agadir in Morocco about 4 years ago last minute, (about 18th Dec). Cost us less than it would to stay at home! Brilliant holiday.
Posted By: quackers Re: Going away over xmas? - 28th Nov 2011 3:30pm
hi im goin 2 holland in 2 weeks flights thru KLM are not that expensive compared to other companies n i would look on google for hotels i found some that weren't expensive. by the way i only booked my holiday last week. hope you find something
Posted By: DavidB Re: Going away over xmas? - 28th Nov 2011 10:58pm
I've been to London for NYE and it was good, but I think I'd rather go out of the country - if I don't I'll end up in London again.
I'm going to try and get out to random places every month next year on Ryan-Air/Easyjet, even just a weekend, you can do it for less than a (just been paid) night out in Liverpool. laugh
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Going away over xmas? - 29th Nov 2011 9:49am
Me and my fiancee went to Portugal for 3 night before Xmas Came Back 23rd.Thomas Cook was offering a 28 day Hoilday to Albufeira Portugal 30min drive from faro airport for £330.00.
That was the one in the trafford centre manchester
Posted By: DavidB Re: Going away over xmas? - 5th Dec 2011 11:22pm
28 days?!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral