Forums
If you are a serving or a former soldier head down to leasowe or any other council run gym and show them your certificate of service. You will get a lifetime membership for free to all gyms, swimming pools, classes etc. you will also get free use of municiple golf courses like bracken wood and the warren.

Got mine yesterday.
Posted By: tinapaula Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 11:17am
amazing told my son he just got his at woodchurch baths only takes 5 mins.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 11:18am
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
If you are a serving or a former soldier head down to leasowe or any other council run gym and show them your certificate of service. You will get a lifetime membership for free to all gyms, swimming pools, classes etc. you will also get free use of municiple golf courses like bracken wood and the warren.

Got mine yesterday.
Hi does this apply for marine`s as well smile
Posted By: sean Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 11:40am
does it include terrotorial service aswell?
I cant say on teritorials, if you have your ID card though it is exactly the same as a regular service personnel.

I assume it would extend to RAF or Navy so yes. go for it.

It is a great idea by wirral borough council and one that every former and serving service man (woman) should grab with both hands. former service people get very few things once they leave the forces, no help from anywhere.

I am looking forward to dusting off the golf clubs and squash racket.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 2:10pm
I hope this one catches on. Good on the Council if it is gen.
Merchant navy left out again, and the ferry boats before someone has a go.Dust your clubs off Bandi.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 2:30pm
You must be reading my mind para, I will be down there next week.
Personally I think it is great of the council, however I don't think it should be extended to the merchant and so on, you need to draw a line somewhere. I think this is a great gesture to service personell who have served in recent years, back to back tours of all the "nicest" places, most soldiers earning around the 20k mark.

Personally I think merseytravel should also get on board along with cinemas etc. soliders often get a month on leave after a 6 month deployment and in that month at home it would be nice to be shown appreciation even if it is only in the financial sense.

Posted By: Wench Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 3:46pm
It does apply to RAF & The Andrew. Got a couple of mates that take advantage of it when they come home on leave and R&R. Not sure about the TA/Merchant/RNR etc though but I can find out if you like smile

I thought that all serving & ex Armed Forces knew about it. I'd have posted the info earlier had I known they didn't frown

Poor Drills J snob
Lets Forget 40 Merchant ships took part in the Falklands war. The Atlantic Conveyor was sunk by an exocet.It was positioned as a defensive decoy and showed up on radar similar to an aircraft carrier.

Attached picture SUNK 3 Times.jpg
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 9:30pm
you need to draw a line somewhere.

Agreed, if they are on 20k a year + deployment pay for shooting at people defending their homes halfway across the world they have enough cash to pay for the bus when they come home.

Like the rest of us.
My Granddad was sunk on the Dwinsk Deucalion and Empire Star. His money stopped when the ships went down. I think people have an uninformed idea of what it was/is like in the Merchant Navy and what is expected of it when the hour of need arrives..If you think the Far east is all hot and sweaty think again. Shanghai in winter

Attached picture 2SHA.jpg
Posted By: Madge Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 12th Nov 2011 11:40pm
Thanks for that i will be looking into this, im ex army
This isn't a debate of who had it tougher, it is recognition of recent armed forces activities. I served 7 tours in 7 years, For the first 3 years (1997-2000) my take home pay was 750 a month. Admitadly, that goes a long way in kosovo.

Either way a member of the Mercho has not lost a life since 1981 in action. Plus A salary of 30k, tax free helps...

It's not a competition just a great offer from the council.

Well done WBC!!
You are right it isn't a debate. Thanks for sharing your sad story I hope your pay has improved. Tax free Mercho.??
Mine has yes thanks. Do the merchant navy pay tax? I am sure they don't if Are not in the uk for 90 days a year.
Yeah, I'm ex-Royal Navy and I got my free pass about 3 months ago.

I notice they don't shout about this offer either and for good reason too (money). I've been with the 'Invigor8' programme for about 10 months. So that would've been 7 months I didn't have to pay for! Ah, well, ho-hum! smile
Posted By: dave_h Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 25th Nov 2011 11:25pm
Originally Posted by Wench
It does apply to RAF & The Andrew. Got a couple of mates that take advantage of it when they come home on leave and R&R. Not sure about the TA/Merchant/RNR etc though but I can find out if you like smile

I thought that all serving & ex Armed Forces knew about it. I'd have posted the info earlier had I known they didn't frown

Poor Drills J snob

they deploy so why shouldnt they get it?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 25th Nov 2011 11:35pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
you need to draw a line somewhere.

Agreed, if they are on 20k a year + deployment pay for shooting at people defending their homes halfway across the world they have enough cash to pay for the bus when they come home.

Like the rest of us.

thats quite a sweeping statement to make, can you back it up. i just had mates come back after 6months deployment and hadnt fired a shot in anger, and yes they were in a patrol base. should use you and your comments during decompression, would be interesting
Posted By: Nomad Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 26th Nov 2011 12:09am
Hi,

I am ex RAF and was wondering what do i need to produce as proof? I have my discharge papers

It does not help that I have a pony tail down to my waist. lol

Nomad

Posted By: dave_h Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 26th Nov 2011 5:40pm
they say serving and ex service, i took my id card, as you dont have one, i would say your discharge papers are good enough, what else can you do? spin shit dits?
Posted By: Wench Re: Are you a serving a ex soldier? Read on... - 28th Nov 2011 10:42pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
Originally Posted by Wench

Poor Drills J snob

they deploy so why shouldnt they get it?

I agree wholeheartedly yes

Got mine yesterday.

My first husband did National Service and now gets the above benefits.
Son- in -law in Para Reserves ditto.He is ex Navy.I think it applies to all Armed Services
© Wirral-Wikiwirral