Forums
Posted By: Neil_c Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 7th Sep 2010 9:57pm
The pics show a train set that is in the loft of our new house. It looks like someone has tried to move it without much success so there is damage. The neighbours tell me it was something of a sight when the previous owner had it.

Does anyone know a great deal about large scale train sets who might be able to help me restore it some day?

Attached picture P9071357.jpg
Attached picture P9071359.jpg
Attached picture P9071360.jpg
Attached picture P9071362.jpg
Doesnt look that good. Did they leave any trains and boxes? Flog it lol
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 7th Sep 2010 10:04pm
It wouldn't move to flog it. My girlfriend says I can't go near it until I've done the kitchen, heating, plastering and re-wired the house!
U better get on with the jobs then you can play with ya man toys lol
Originally Posted by Neil_c
My girlfriend says I can't go near it until I've done the kitchen, heating, plastering and re-wired the house!
Looks like you'll be onto this by Wednesday afternoon then raftl
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 7th Sep 2010 11:01pm
lol. I'm under constant supervision; at least with the car being on axle stands she knows that I can't go very far although travelling to Homebase and B&Q are allowable journeys.

The printout of the eventual kitchen design has been stuck to the window for inspiration.

Electric were fun when we moved in, upstairs lights wired off the shower, conservatory & dishwasher off the 30A cooker socket and train set off the immersion heater.

I guess that's what puts me off Combi's, if I remove the immersion & tank, there won't be a hope of getting the train set working again!
Sure it needs restoring? It looks like a recreation of Dresden railway sidings cica 1945!
I did a large kitchen (36 door), totally underestimated the time needed, but much better than the £3000 we were quoted for fitting, got lots of tools instead and still quids in.

Doing the kitchen myself also meant it was easy to modify from the original design as you went along and realised improvements.

Get as many power sockets in as you can, nothing worse than wanting a device in one location but means having a trailing lead, I ended up with something like 10 doubles and 7 singles.

Enjoyable experience overall.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 7th Sep 2010 11:09pm
Looks a bit like the mothballed Birkenhead Dock branch at the moment. You should see the amount of wires underneath it.

I found a fathers day card up there that was written by the guy's daughter after he died. The estate agents told me she wouldn't normally go near it as it was too upsetting as she used to help him build it as she was growing up.

We found loads of papers up there from a company that existed in Bromborough (Austin Packaging) dated around 1970. There was also a shilling to decimal convertor (I think money changed over around this time).

Reminds you a bit of your own mortality.

Posted By: Wench Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 7th Sep 2010 11:29pm
That looks like the one my Dad had in the box room when I was a kid!! Spent many happy hours with it. Saw some cracking ones at RAF Woodvale the other week and they still mesmerise me. It was like being a kid all over again raftl great feeling and brought back lots of good memories.

Good luck with it thumbsup
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 8th Sep 2010 12:09am
Thats a good find, looks old, hope you can restore it smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 8th Sep 2010 4:52pm
I use to have the Flying Scotswoman in my loft, made by Horny, it was Double D and had a cracking signal box. whistle
Some more pics. quite an impressive wiring loom. Just hope I get time at some point to get a bit of it working again.

Looks like there was sidings at the back with buffers that brought the trains out onto the main lines. I'll need to do some research on train controllers.

Attached picture P9081367.jpg
Attached picture P9081371.jpg
Attached picture P9081363.jpg
Attached picture P9081364.jpg
Get Sanchez on the wiring, Im sue he will look at it if he gets to have a go of the trains grin
Originally Posted by Neil_c

There was also a shilling to decimal convertor (I think money changed over around this time).

15th February 1971 - I remember it well smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 11th Sep 2010 11:20am
Thats a nice old layout, someone has put a lot of time and effort into it. Had many when i was a kid, in the garage on a table that was suspended from the roof on wires you could just drop down, plug in n play. Had a huge one in the loft too, took yrs to build. All gone now.
My uncle (who i may add is single and lives alone!!!) has a layout in EVERY spare room of his house, 3 bedrooms and a living room!!!!
Hi ya,
Let me know if you want some help with restoring your trains- I'm an artist and used to help with museum setups and miniatures. My eyes are terrible at the moment, but I can use strong glasses and my husband paints miniayures too. I've got both N and Z scales trains but just haven't gotten around to setting them up except as a coffee table feature in our library.

Just thought we'd offer.

Lee
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Massive train set in the loft of my new house - 5th Mar 2011 9:00am
Originally Posted by bert1
I use to have the Flying Scotswoman in my loft, made by Horny, it was Double D and had a cracking signal box. whistle

Lmao!! raftl raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral