Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Mushrooms - 12th Jun 2010 1:18pm
Discovered mushrooms growing in the lawn!
Looking for a plausible explanation. Could they grow from bread crumbs chucked out for the birds? [yeast- fungi]
Or is that just silly?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mushrooms - 12th Jun 2010 1:28pm
Often happens where there has been a tree and there is rotten wood in the soil but any high nutrient damp area and they can pop up.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Mushrooms - 12th Jun 2010 4:12pm
thats funny because i found some in my grass yesterday and i have never seen them before,but in my case they were directly under a bird feeder which was hanging from a tree,so i am guessing that something fell out of the feeder,i had wild bird seed in it.have you been feeding your birds rudebox?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mushrooms - 12th Jun 2010 5:45pm
Weve never had them before either. Yes, feed the birds. Homemade fat balls.
Posted By: starakita Re: Mushrooms - 12th Jun 2010 7:52pm
i started getting mushrooms in my pots, but i think its whats in the compost.
Posted By: angelina Re: Mushrooms - 14th Jun 2010 9:19pm
Its not mushrooms , just toadstools. Make sure you dog does not eat them, I have had some too a few weeks ago . A neighbour a few doors away from me had them too her dog was very sick from eating them.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mushrooms - 15th Jun 2010 6:47am
Maybe they are "magic"
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Mushrooms - 15th Jun 2010 6:52am
they will probably be

armillaria mellea

or a related species, very little can be done to eradicate them tbh. They live on dead/rotting wood and produce boot strap like underground micorhiza that are black

http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/research/groups/jdeacon/microbes/armill.htm
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mushrooms - 15th Jun 2010 8:21am
I had a large one growing on the safes side of my fence a couple of weeks ago. It was about the size of a cup coaster but I just mowed it up smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mushrooms - 15th Jun 2010 1:22pm
Aarrr this makes sense now- sort of. We burnt logs+ twigs and put the ash on the grass as fertiliser.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral