Forums
Posted By: McChimp Games developers - 21st May 2010 5:06pm
Hey up...Wirral-ites? I don't know. Anyway i'm a Games development student from Birkenhead studying at St helens. i'm looking to get together with some other games developers and maybe get a mod going or just get a team together. So are there any more of you out there?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Games developers - 28th Aug 2010 12:55am
U have 2 be single,a social outcast,where tight jeans a tshirt cheap trainers from sports direct. Glasses are optional and a bad haircut lol. Or uber cool and mad about games
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Games developers - 28th Aug 2010 1:13am
if your looking for local game dev's, SCE Liverpool Studio (Formely Psychnosis) is based in Wavetree Technology Park. although that's about it for anywhere near here. i've developed for tons of consoles and computers alike (from Atari 2600 to Amiga, SNES to PS3 ect...) i mainly disassemble hardware and software for documentation, bug fixing and archive purposes though.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Games developers - 28th Aug 2010 10:26am
What do you develop McChimp?
There are genuinely not a lot of jobs at the moment as a load of studios have closed down, and the bigger studios tend to gobble up all the staff. The best route to take is learn programming in C++ or C#, and find yourself a niche like AI or network programming (ie the stuff people don't really want to do).
Work hard on a decent portfolio online, there should be jobs opening in a couple of years when the EA/Sony/ etc start putting money back into it.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Games developers - 29th Aug 2010 5:23pm
Was going to say, most companies are waiting for other companies to close down as they don't have to spend money on advertising or using (crappy) agencies, they just invite them for interviews, knowing they have experience, and if they're no good, they don't get jobs, and the company hasn't lost any money, which cost thousands before they even interview people.
It's very difficult to get in as a graduate from university at the moment, even with a decent portfolio. You basically have to live and breathe games, not only playing them but making them. I'd say games designer courses are a waste of time (less if it's not from John Moores or other universities), and you should really try programming.
Posted By: UncannyMrNibbles Re: Games developers - 31st Jan 2011 12:31pm
I have a husband with somewhere around 38-29 consoles and always looking for more with somewhere around 2000 games. He comes complete with bad haircut (my fault, I'm afraid), retro trainers complete with neon strings, calloused thumbs, a blank stare, and a ghostly pale complexion. Take him. I could use the time out!
Posted By: UncannyMrNibbles Re: Games developers - 31st Jan 2011 2:06pm
That should say 28-29 consoles...I can't keep count!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Games developers - 31st Jan 2011 2:40pm
Blank stare and drawn out complexion sounds like me! Playing games definitely turned me into a zombie growing up.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral