Forums
Posted By: DavidB Damp in cupboards - 13th Jan 2010 8:12pm
The missus lives in a bungalow. For years she's had a problem with damp coming through the cupboards.
One is on the 'outside' of the building, while the other is opposite, in a middle wall of the building. We have also noticed damp (mildew/black horrible stuff) in the corner of the living room behind shelves. The loft is totally dry - what are the common causes of this. I'm thinking maybe the bricks need re-pointing? I haven't a clue (and I'm not getting up a ladder for a few weeks!).
Just had to wash a whole load of clothing due to it, and want to get it sorted. The place is rented.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Damp in cupboards - 13th Jan 2010 8:14pm
Also got a cupbaord in the kitchen - the plaster is literally falling off the walls 'rising damp' style.
Posted By: gracie2010 Re: Damp in cupboards - 13th Jan 2010 8:21pm
any consolation ... me too frown my boiler cupboard has no plaster left in it!!!! frown
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Damp in cupboards - 14th Jan 2010 12:46pm
Outside walls, sounds like the mortar's blown or somehow there is lots of water dripping down the walls, faulty gutter or something. Lack of ventilation doesn't help either. With damp there is always a cause, eliminate the cause and you eliminate the damp. Depends on location too, whether it is in an open area, facing the the coast etc. No expert but I believe everything I read and see on TV, it worked for me.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Damp in cupboards - 14th Jan 2010 1:09pm
There are mainly 2 types of damp, penetrating damp, which can be caused by cracks in wall, missing pointing and roof tiles missing or defective, that sort of thing and rising damp, break down or bridging of Damp course membrane. Also properties that suffer from condensation which will cause mold and mildew to form in the corners of rooms, cupboards and ceilings, etc. Any mold etc can cause health problems and if its a rented property i would throw it in to the landlords court.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Damp in cupboards - 15th Jan 2010 9:35pm
Thanks, I'm thinking it IS the penetrative damp, as one side is against the chimney and it slopes, but the middle bit I can't explain. Either way I'll get onto the landlord, but I'll have a look in the meantime as it probably won't get done this decade.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral