Forums
Skygazers in the northern hemisphere are preparing for the high point of the annual Geminids meteor shower.

The shower is expected to be especially easy to see this year because it is nearly the new Moon, meaning there is less moonlight to obscure it.

The meteors can be seen streaking across the night sky from 2000 GMT onwards, reaching a peak after 2200.

Robert Massey, of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, said about 100 meteors an hour would make it a "nice sight".

In August, people in the UK were treated to the sight of the Perseid meteor shower.

However, light from the last quarter Moon interfered with viewing.

That shower occurs when Earth passes through a stream of dusty debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

Earlier this year, in other parts of the world, many people who stayed up throughout the night to witness what was expected to be an intense meteor shower were left disappointed.

The Leonid meteor shower, the best views of which were to have been from Asia, was largely obscured by cloud.

Normally, meteor showers result from dust which has been blown away from comets which have passed near the sun.

The warmth of our star melts part of the icy comet, releasing rock fragments.

The naked eye is usually best for seeing meteors, which can often streak across more than 45 degrees of the sky.

Source
We saw quite a few last night when we were walking around Flaybrick smile so it must have been the start of it.
I shall be watching it on the beach with puppy smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky - 13th Dec 2009 8:55pm
I presume this refers to TONIGHT. Like NOW !!!!!! ????
only one way to find out.
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I presume this refers to TONIGHT. Like NOW !!!!!! ????
Yes!! Tonight Pinz! Better than X-Factor. I'm off to watch real stars! raftl
I just nipped out for a quick look, it's too effin cold for that malarky. I was in me jammies tho lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky - 13th Dec 2009 9:06pm
Thanks Snooze. Reeeeel starry night here tonight. No clouds and being in the sticks, no orange fog !!!

Little bit cool though. (Minus 3.4C at the moment) ANYTHING'S better than the X-Factor bilge ! Better to catch hypothermia in the garden than let your brain rot in front of the box!!!

Posted By: Wench Re: Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky - 13th Dec 2009 10:52pm
Well there weren't quite 100 an hour, not even 100 but saw about a dozen smile Not sure my arse will ever warm up again having sat on the wall on the beach but it was well worth it grin
My arse is warmer following a bath and some gin raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky - 13th Dec 2009 11:45pm
raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral