Forums
Posted By: 24424m Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Oct 2009 7:20pm
Can anyone help me with identifying what type of tree that is planted along the Borough Road border of Birkenhead Central Library.

I initially thought it was a type of Ash, or possibly Willow, but the leaves look kind of feathery, and are turning the most beautiful auburn colour at the moment.

Cheers,

24424m

Posted By: pacef8 Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Oct 2009 8:07pm
Is it a deep plum red leaf, maybe a beech
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 9th Oct 2009 5:33pm
The leaves are turning a deep reddish purple, but I don't think it is a beech.

One of my colleagues, who walks past on the way to work, actually brought a leaf sample in today for me to look at.

The leaves are pinnate, with each leaflet about two inches long, and very narrow, with serrated edges.

Must admit I'm a bit stumped on this one!
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Jul 2010 4:00pm
I still haven't worked out what these trees are, but I have noticed more of them, planted alongside the footpath between the petrol station & MacDonalds at Upton Sainsburys.

Anyone got any idea?

Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Jul 2010 4:21pm
if u can post a picture up ill be able to identify it for you wink
Posted By: Handbag Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Jul 2010 6:28pm
If the leaves are feathery and turning orange or red colours it could be a type of Rowan tree. Theyre well known for their coloured leaves.
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 7th Jul 2010 9:12pm
Originally Posted by jabber
if u can post a picture up ill be able to identify it for you wink

Embarrassingly, I'm not that technically proficient!

Originally Posted by Handbag
If the leaves are feathery and turning orange or red colours it could be a type of Rowan tree. Theyre well known for their coloured leaves.

There are some Rowan trees there, but the majority, whilst similar, are more feathery & delicate looking. I've tried googling, and {black} walnut looks promising, but I can't find a good enough image to be certain.
Not the best pictures, I too thought some were Rowen. 14 Pictures altogether so 3 posts required

Attached picture 100_3278-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3279-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3280-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3281-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3282-s.jpg

Attached picture 100_3283-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3284-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3285-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3286-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3287-s.jpg
last post of piccies

Attached picture 100_3288-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3289-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3290-s.jpg
Attached picture 100_3291-s.jpg
Lime, Willow, and Sycamore.
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 8th Jul 2010 5:35am
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Lime, Willow, and Sycamore.

Thanks diggingdeeper - the photos in the first of your three posts are exactly what I'm talking about - beautiful trees aren't they?

So are these willow then Capt?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 8th Jul 2010 6:43am
not so sure the first is a lime as the leaves would be more oval

2nd is a willow (salix alba possibly)
3rd is a London plane (platanus x hispanica)
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 12th Sep 2010 7:18pm
The more I look at them, I do think they are some sort of willow - possibly a hybrid?

Anyway, the leaves are just starting to turn into autumn colour, so if you are passing, give them a glance - they are particularly beautiful at this time of year.
I was just noticing today how many trees are starting to yellow, seems a bit early considering the weather, but some nights are getting quite cooler which is probably the trigger.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 12th Sep 2010 7:54pm
The conkers have been falling from the trees in Birkenhead Park since the 3rd week in August. {which was earler than normal} and also on splitting open the case the conker inside was brown so its not as if they had been knocked off early by kids.
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 12th Sep 2010 8:02pm
I know Horse Chestnuts are normally the first trees to show signs of autumn colour, but given the long, cold winter, and trees being late into leaf this year, I would have thought most would have remained in leaf a little longer. However, if anything, it seems we are in for an early autumn too!
Posted By: PeteC Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 12th Sep 2010 9:57pm
I think one contender could be Green Vase Zelkova
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5434/default.aspx
Originally Posted by fredbear
I think one contender could be Green Vase Zelkova
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5434/default.aspx
Wrong type of bark, the last two of my pictures are the bark of the first pictures' tree (OMG, I hope that makes sense).
Posted By: 24424m Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 25th Sep 2010 6:15am
Whatever they are, well worth checking them out right now, as they are showing the most beautiful and subtle autumn colours.

I'm obsessed aren't I! blush
Posted By: jimbob Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 25th Sep 2010 9:06am
{it seems we are in for an early autumn too!}? at the feel of the chill air at 6-30 this morning I can tell you it is Autumn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Trees outside Birkenhead Central Library - 25th Sep 2010 12:49pm
First ground frost of the season here this morning. Lawn and some fields white.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral