Posted By: Mark DIY Disasters - 31st Mar 2007 12:58pm
Have you a DIY Disaster to share?
Did you have to get someone in?
Did it cost more in the long run?

If not you a friend?
Posted By: Mark Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2007 12:14pm
Putting the floor boards back down, to the noise
of water under pressure underneath?

I Only put the nail through a water pipe.

Water off, in the nick of time,
no damage really, just a £40 Plumbers Bill frown
Posted By: hoseman Re: DIY Disasters - 17th Dec 2007 7:03pm
Fook matey, DIY disasters - seen my house!! nono
Posted By: Sanchez Re: DIY Disasters - 17th Dec 2007 8:31pm
should of rang me mark, id of fixed it for free for you, ah well, you'll know for next time, thats if there is a next time smile
Posted By: chiccy Re: DIY Disasters - 17th Dec 2007 10:46pm
my dad yest.... he was changing that ball thingy in the toilet cistern (sp)(dunno what there called) an he had to drain to loo totally... we were all sat there for hours FREEEEEEZING an no water or loo.....

he went to put the loo back together an a load of water pissed thru the kitchen ceiling.... he did this AT LEAST 5 more times i went up to see how he was gettin on an he had put the washer thingyo on wrong and upside down!!!! dooooh!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Mark Re: DIY Disasters - 18th Dec 2007 5:40pm
we have all done it lol....
Posted By: DavidB Re: DIY Disasters - 3rd Feb 2008 12:57pm
Remember when my dad did the bathroom in their house, it took a week and had to get a bath everyday in the sink!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DIY Disasters - 8th Apr 2008 8:46pm
Originally Posted by Station
Remember when my dad did the bathroom in their house, it took a week and had to get a bath everyday in the sink!

I'm planning on doing MY bathroom fairly soon ie bath out, tile walls, move/ replace radiator, shower or new bath in - then on the other end of the bathroom wash basin out/ new one in with finishing the tiling while doing that. Oh yes, and she would like a ceramic tiled floor (current is normal board & joist). Hummmm "Can you do it all while I go to mum's for a week?" she says. PMSL. I KNOW what to do and how to do it - but I'm 66 next week and lack the umph.

And now the disasters story. Many years ago (about 1970 I guess) a guy I was working with decided to have a go at platering a wall. He had seen someone do one wall and it seemed so easy he was sure he could do it. SO, he mixed a whole bag of plaster on the kitchen floor . . . and then the phone rang and he started nattering about football to his mate. And when he had finished there was a BIG rock on the kitchen floor

His disasters kept us amused for years - he was sort of prone to them

Snod
Posted By: chriskay Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 10:28am
Originally Posted by Snodvan
PMSL. I KNOW what to do and how to do it - but I'm 66 next week and lack the umph.

I know exactly what you mean. The job, as you describe it, 3 days. But not these days... (I'm 5 years older than you).

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 11:27am
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by Snodvan
PMSL. I KNOW what to do and how to do it - but I'm 66 next week and lack the umph.

I know exactly what you mean. The job, as you describe it, 3 days. But not these days... (I'm 5 years older than you).

Cheers, Chris.

The bigegst "snag" is the ceramic floor because to do that means laying 18mm ply over the whole floor before tiling - and that means the bath/ washbasin/ cubpbards etc ie everything, has to be stripped out first. Fortunately the loo is separate. I am presuming I will have enough umph to smash up the iron bath and take it out in bits.

Is this all a disaster waiting to happen?

Snod
Posted By: Sanchez Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 11:35am
woa, try selling the iron bath on ebay first, worth abit them
Posted By: Mark Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 11:45am
The question is will the hard work be appreciated lol

Good Luck.

If you need man power give us a shout and we will help smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 12:16pm
Originally Posted by sanchez
woa, try selling the iron bath on ebay first, worth abit them

Everyone says that - but then they see the double corner you will have to get it round in order to get to the stairs - and they give up. It is also amazingly heavy. I have never tried to move the bath of course but it has matching iron side panels and I took those off once when putting down new plastic flooring - and . . . . well, on my own I could JUST lift one end. It took 2 big guys + lots of wood strips and grease to get the thing back in place. The thought of trying to get that weight down the stairs, no thanks.

Snod
Posted By: chriskay Re: DIY Disasters - 9th Apr 2008 1:26pm
I'd have a re-think on the ceramic flooring; cork is so much warmer & won't need such a rigid base. I've used it with success in several properties.

Cheers, Chris.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral