Forums
Posted By: dizdazdoz Broweser for web novice - 11th Jan 2017 1:10pm
Hi I am setting up a laptop for my parents and after some advice.

They only have a hotmail email.
My mum has suffered a stroke. Arthiritis in hands.

I have shown her the basics of laptop use (tried to convice her a tablet might work better) and she seems to have pick up some of the basics. However she doesnt do well with looking for favourites or bookmarks so was wondering if anyone knows of a browser that you can make easy to use. Maybe just tiles etc to save the few sites she may use.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Broweser for web novice - 11th Jan 2017 1:19pm
Google Chrome or Firefox has good tile options.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Broweser for web novice - 11th Jan 2017 2:04pm
Thanks will have a look at Chrome, tried her with firefox.

How do you get tiles on chrome is it easy ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 7:33am
You can also save the bookmarks as shortcuts onto the desk top or in chrome you can add the bookmarks to the main tool bar allowing you put a good few in line of site.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 9:52am
Screenshot of Chrome tile shortcuts:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 1:06pm
Thanks for the advice, looks like Chrome will be the easiest for them. Will have a try later setting it up.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 2:22pm
Have a look at Opera Neon which has been put on official release today, it is much more geared to doing things the way you say.

I had a look at a pre-release version a while ago and it showed a lot of promise.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 5:00pm
+1 for Chrome though have also heard a lot of praise for Opera Neon
Posted By: Habdab Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 5:01pm
If you elect to use Google Chrome, you can open a google account. If for any reason you have to format the machine in the future, once you load Google Chrome on the new system and sign in, all bookmarks, history and settings will be automatically restored. This also applies if you sign in on a strange machine anywhere in the world (As long as you have internet access).
If using a strange machine, just remember to sign out from Chrome when you finish the session!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Broweser for web novice - 12th Jan 2017 5:50pm
Thanks for all advice. Have done it now with Chrome just a few hours and many phones whilst they get there head around it now.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Broweser for web novice - 13th Jan 2017 6:52pm
just got windows 10 which has Defender. I have used the AVG Anti Virus professional edition for the past 10 years or more. This is due for renewal in a couple of months time. Which gives the better protection AVG or windows own Defender
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Broweser for web novice - 13th Jan 2017 10:01pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
just got windows 10 which has Defender. I have used the AVG Anti Virus professional edition for the past 10 years or more. This is due for renewal in a couple of months time. Which gives the better protection AVG or windows own Defender

Not defender, being a Microsoft product it has to comply with numerous standards that a normal user never uses, some of these things produce additional vulnerabilities. It can be improved by adding defender control panel but its not worth it.

AVG hasn't been a robust protection for a number of years.

Kaspersky is really good and the best way of implementing that is by using "Zonealarm Free Antivirus + Firewall" which incorporates Kaspersky. Only criticism is that it slows things down a little but full protection is always going to have an overhead.

As with all these things you have to be very careful when updating that you don't accidentally agree to upgrades or trials.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/october-2016/
Posted By: Habdab Re: Broweser for web novice - 13th Jan 2017 10:46pm
I agree that Kaspersky is one, if not the best out there. I use Kaspersky Internet Security. Just a word to the wise, if you're a Barclays Bank customer and you use online banking, you can get Kaspersky Internet Security for free.
It's on the online banking page, "google" it if you can't find it.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Broweser for web novice - 14th Jan 2017 6:57pm
thank you for your advice, diggingdeeper
Posted By: jimbob Re: Broweser for web novice - 14th Jan 2017 6:59pm
thank you for your tip Habdab
© Wirral-Wikiwirral