Forums
Posted By: Finney Google Chromecast - 31st Oct 2016 11:35am
Not being that savvy with wireless multimedia equipment I want to know what is the best to get. The choices being Google Chromecast, Amazon firestick or the good old now tv box.

Any info on the best would be appreciated
Posted By: casper Re: Google Chromecast - 31st Oct 2016 11:59am
Hi Finney, it depends on what you want to do with it, google chromecast is limited, you can utilise the fire stick to run Kodi on, and get free movies and box sets, I dont know anything about now tv, I have had chromecast and have now got the firestick, as a personal choice I prefer the Firestick, but it may not suit everyone. hope this helps.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Google Chromecast - 31st Oct 2016 12:55pm
As Casper says depends on what you want out of it. Now TV is decent for what you pay and you can buy vouchers for it from ebay that will save you money as opposed to just paying monthly. They sometimes offer you deals if you do set up for monthly and decide to stop the payment. There are ways to get "other channels" on there via an app called Plex. Install that and buy a susbcription. If you're on Facebook do a search for Plex IPTV, should come up with some providers. The black Now TV boxes have an ethernet port so you can hard wire them for a more stable internet connection.

Kodi on a Firestick is good but you do need to tinker with it so a little bit of tech savvy is required, nothing too daunting though and plenty of resource out there. The free "premium" channels don't tend to be very reliable but there are subscription services available if that's what you wanted. Quite a few options for Freeview channels and almost limitless VOD options via several add ons.

For either you'll need half decent internet speeds for streaming, 4-5mb minimum I would say.
Posted By: Finney Re: Google Chromecast - 1st Nov 2016 12:46pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, im looking to be able to watch all the freeview channels plus sky movies , music channels all for free if possible.
Posted By: casper Re: Google Chromecast - 1st Nov 2016 2:57pm
Then the firestick is the one for you, but you do need to load the Kodi program and the add ons yourself, the other option is to buy an MX 8 type box with all the programes already on, take a look on the net and weigh them up cost etc.
Posted By: Finney Re: Google Chromecast - 1st Nov 2016 4:37pm
Originally Posted by casper
Then the firestick is the one for you, but you do need to load the Kodi program and the add ons yourself, the other option is to buy an MX 8 type box with all the programes already on, take a look on the net and weigh them up cost etc.

Cheers Casper will take a look
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Google Chromecast - 2nd Nov 2016 10:20pm
A 2GB M8 box is better than a Firestick.
Posted By: casper Re: Google Chromecast - 3rd Nov 2016 7:46am
Yes I agree Raven, MX8 is the best option, the firestick is actually more costly to buy, plus you have the hassle of installing all the add ons, but it is a better option than Google Chrome.
Posted By: Finney Re: Google Chromecast - 4th Nov 2016 5:34am
Thanks again for all the information and feedback. Think the mx8 is the winner
Posted By: casper Re: Google Chromecast - 4th Nov 2016 9:43am
If you've got good wifi then it's a good choice, simple to set up, connect an HD and power lead and away you go, if you buy and have any probs I can help along with others on wiki, good viewing. smile
Posted By: tedmus Re: Google Chromecast - 4th Nov 2016 11:57am
If you're buying a box better to hard wire if you can rather than use wireless, connection will be more stable that way.
Posted By: Finney Re: Google Chromecast - 23rd Nov 2016 12:27pm
Just a quick update guys, I eventually went for the MX8 box, had a few teething problems getting set up but am now navigating myself around it. Thanks for all the feedback.
Posted By: casper Re: Google Chromecast - 23rd Nov 2016 2:52pm
You will find a lot of the stuff pre loaded on it you wont need,best sites for most things are Exodus, phoenix, uk turks, specto, salts,but you will find what is best for your interests, I found it is a lot easier to navigate if you use a wireless mouse, I got one from Argos for £9.99 makes it so much easier, enjoy your viewing.
Posted By: Finney Re: Google Chromecast - 23rd Nov 2016 7:53pm
Originally Posted by casper
You will find a lot of the stuff pre loaded on it you wont need,best sites for most things are Exodus, phoenix, uk turks, specto, salts,but you will find what is best for your interests, I found it is a lot easier to navigate if you use a wireless mouse, I got one from Argos for £9.99 makes it so much easier, enjoy your viewing.

Cheers casper the box i bought came with a mini keyboard that is making it a lot easier to use. The Nephew has loaded a programme on it called pulse so got access to all the sites you mention. I have managed to watch several films so far without any glitches.
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Google Chromecast - 24th Nov 2016 12:36pm
Here is a guide on setting up the 'Paradox' Build on your Kodi box & some useful links.

First you need to make sure you are running Kodi version 16.1.
If not you will have to update it or uninstall & reinstall from Google Playstore.

Next register for a free account on here to obtain a username/password to use on Paradox build.
This is also a great forum if you are having problems.
http://theblackboxostv.co.uk/index.php

Once you have got your username & password follow this guide on how to install Paradox.
http://www.paradoxinfo.co.uk/how-to-install-paradox/

How to install MOBDRO on Paradox.
Mobdro is good for sports & TV channels.
http://www.paradoxinfo.co.uk/?p=1691

Paradox Help & discussion page on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/paradoxsupport/

LiveOnSat.com channel guide. [Gives you all the links for streaming football games].
http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_eng_ALL.php

Enjoy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral