Forums
Posted By: johncon Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 10:04am
Hi guys is there anything I can do to speed up my Asus laptop running Windows10. It has gone painfully slow and even freezing at times . I am not very computer savy so don't want to get over involved but is there any easy fix I can try
Thanks
Posted By: lansyp Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 10:17am
Make sure you have no updates waiting to run .did it come with windows 10 or is it an upgrade it has to be the worst operating system to date
Posted By: johncon Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 10:22am
It is an upgrade the computer is around 12 months old and upgraded to 10 about 6 months ago it has been ok until last week or so but just seems to be getting slower all the time
Posted By: ojoe55 Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 1:44pm
Install and run Ccleaner free version and you should see massive difference.
Posted By: johncon Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 3:22pm
I have just done that ojoe55 after your suggestion . Thanks but it has made no difference at all !
Posted By: j_demo Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 3:59pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
it has to be the worst operating system to date

I would have to disagree and say that Vista is the worst OS that Microsoft has ever released.

W10 is designed for touchscreen devices i believe and any laptops that have it aren't fully able to use W10 to its full potential
Posted By: Salmon Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 6:21pm
May be worth trying this;
Go to start menu>settings>Notifications and actions>turn off "show me tips about Windows"
Restart your machine and hopefully everything should be good again.

Another possibility: Do you have Coretemp installed? Win10 does not seem to like it. This may be better
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Posted By: johncon Re: Slow laptop - 21st Aug 2016 7:57pm
Thanks for the input guys I have tried both suggestions above and after rebooting a couple of times it is now slightly better but still nothing like it should be . but any improvement is better than what i had . Can I remove 10 and revert back to 8 bearing in mind i have very little computer knowledge ?
Thankyou
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Slow laptop - 23rd Aug 2016 9:42am
Yes you can go back to Windows 8, but 10 is supposed to be faster than 8.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Maybe drop it off with someone who can give it a quick once-over to make sure there's nothing running that might be slowing it down, and that all the drivers are up to date.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Slow laptop - 24th Aug 2016 7:56am
I believe that slow PC can be a sign of malware infection. There are are plenty of free on-line scanners available. Why not try one?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral