Forums
Posted By: RedTom Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 9:28am
Good morning folks,can anyone tell me for definite if I will be able to swap the hard drive from an Acer Extensa 5220 into an Acer Aspire 2920 without difficulty?
Posted By: lansyp Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 10:50am
If they are both the same fitting then yes but you will probably have to re install windows
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 11:07am
Both have SATA drives so will fit physically and electrically however as lansyp says above, booting a computer from a Windows installed for another machine isn't a particularly good idea, sometimes it will work sort-of but expect some problems if you don't re-install Windows from scratch.
Posted By: RedTom Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 11:12am
Thank you lansyp.
Posted By: RedTom Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 11:13am
Thank you for that diggindeeper....
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 11:27am
Originally Posted by RedTom
Good morning folks,can anyone tell me for definite if I will be able to swap the hard drive from an Acer Extensa 5220 into an Acer Aspire 2920 without difficulty?

I'd go online and check the availability and download of drivers (the software/progs) to run your onboard graphics,sound,network etc for the Acer Aspire 2920.
Download them to a dvd or usb pen.
Format the Acer Extensa 5220 hard drive and instal the same windows you have been using on the 2920 then instal the drivers.
If it was just for getting more hard drive space available I'd just format the 5220 and get an external usb case for it - about £4 on ebay.
Posted By: RedTom Re: Acer laptops. - 25th Jun 2016 3:40pm
Thank you for such a comprehensive answer derekdwc.
Posted By: Mark Re: Acer laptops. - 26th Jun 2016 8:57am
If your swaping drives, the advantage you have is you will still have the original if it doesn't work, and you can swap it back.

You could always clone the drive.
But one step at a time.
Posted By: RedTom Re: Acer laptops. - 27th Jun 2016 6:59am
Thank you Mark for your response, I#m sure that I will resolve the problem with the helpful suggestions you've all given me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral